Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

1 shot 2 kills

muddy

Season ended for me about 3 weeks ago when I jacked up my back during the first week of season. We had good weather so I opted to get all yard work done, and I did. Then it rained amd got 40° for 5 days, then I hurt my back doing deadlifts at the gym. Apparently you don't warm up at 275#.

Anyway, I got some sweet vikes and muscle relaxers for my trouble, along with a 10# weight resteiction. Fast forward to this week, the middle of our last season here in Iowa. I can't carry a blind so for the first time ever I had 2 gun tags in my pocket.

Disclaimer, you can shoot as many bearded turkeys in Iowa in one day as you have valid tags. End of disclaimer.

A friend dropped some wings off yesterday and in the small talk he said head up to his place and try, I think he felt sorry for my hobbled up self. Today I dropped the kids at school and made my way north. As I drove down his drive I could see strutters behind his house in the freshly burnt (now green) CRP field. I formed a plan and went to execute it. After a long circle, a thigh deep creek crossing, and a 200 yard crawl I was within 100 yards of 5 strutters. 2 twos and a single. I got ready and popped the fan up. The result was nothing less than spectacularly perfect. Fans dropped, heads came up, and turkeys got mad. Immediately the single bird and the 2 closer birds began that "mean walk with authority" right at me, it was awesome. As they went thru a dip I got the barrel between the fan V and clicked the safety off, it was ON! Seconds later the 2 popped up at 30 and I let em keep coming. At 10 yards they went to full strut, white heads, full length snoods, and made the air buzz with angry drumming. I smiled, lined up the bead, and dropped em. I didn't really plan to kill them both but when I stood up 2 birds lay flopping while 3 other gobblers stood there at 20 yards away. Sure cant beat that with a stick! 45 minutes of driving for a 10 minute walk and a 30 second hunt. After the excitement wore off my back started to spasam a bit, I think it was worried about humping 50# of gobblers out!

Anyway, here are some quick pics.

Where they dropped on relation to my fan. The further one flopped back a ways, they were touching when they fell

The Lucky Shell

Way to save on the cost of ammo ;)
It is so cool when it comes together like that. Congrats.

Good for you. Your back was telling you don't crawl 200 yds again. I could have saved a lot of money if I had known about fanning 30 years ago.

The one arm tripod crawl was not the most fun, but it sure made a good addition to the story.

Nice, you don't see that happen very often! Don't tell me you hurt your back at one of those cult gyms? ;)

Thanks for the kind replies guys. As of last Thursday and Friday my back is feeling quite a bit better, just in time to start getting ready for back squats at the gym.

Thanks for the kind replies guys. As of last Thursday and Friday my back is feeling quite a bit better, just in time to start getting ready for back squats at the gym.
You better give it some time. It will haunt you. And deer season is not a good time. I've got some one year old screws and rods and am back at the neurosurgeon now.

Top Bottom