Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

11-4-17 Buck recovered 11-5-17

brian1684

IMG_0978.JPG rsz_dsc_0008.jpg rsz_img_0979.jpg rsz_img_0968.jpg Well here some of the pics i took. Couldn't really get anything too great due to rain and needing to get caped and all to try and maybe save some meat. Not for sure if that's gonna happen.

As for the story, Shot happened at 1725 last night. Came in off to my left and I just had time to get ready. Started to draw when he stepped behind a tree and he caught me settling when he stepped out. Stopped with the tree blocking vitals. He turned and took 2 steps that gave me about a 2ft window between 2 tress. I mehd him, he stopped for a split second, released arrow, and he went another half step. I knew it was liver/guts as soon as I seen the arrow hit. Penetration was so so, probably half arrow in/out.

Tracked as far as I could last night. Had great blood at first and slowly it began to taper off. He made a looping path through the woods, behind my stand, then cut back towards a field. Exited that field into the neighbors. Tracked across that field and lost blood. Searched along a ditch in the direction he was headed and found blood up high on some weeds where he went through. Made it about half was across the next field and just lost blood. There were ponds near by so checked them quickly. Also checked around and through a wood draw he was headed towards, couldn't find any blood around entrance of where i thought he went in. Decided to call it a night and go get some rest.

Headed back around 800 this morning, go permission from all the neighbors to check. Spent a few mins looking for blood from last blood, but didn't look too far, didn't want to step on any tracks while waiting for more help to arrive, so I decided to glass the fields, and look for blood on tall weeds around wood draw. Made it to the other side of the draw, glassed the field and pond, and walked towards the deepest part of the wood draw and cut back to previous filed, Just happen to find the deer half way through the draw. It was most luck, with just a little bit of a hunch of where he was headed....Definite roller coaster of emotions over the last 24 hours.

This is by far my biggest buck to date, and I went into this season with the intentions of something bigger than last year. Also had limited time to hunt, and have passed up shots on a few small 6 pointers and several other dinks and spikes. Will still be hunting for a doe, plus have shotgun and late season, but not for sure how hard I will hunt it now...I am more than pleased with this deer. It is for sure a wall hanger and that is exactly where it is going. Gonna be a tough one to beat.

This arrow is my lucky arrow. I didn't use it last year since I switched to Black Eagle Arrows. But was having trouble getting them to fly good, so switched back to the carbon express mayhems i had still. This particular arrow has been through 2 does, and a tom, and now my buck. It stayed in him the entire time and he landed on it when he crashed. Arrow did not break and still seems to be in good shape. But alas, it is going to be retired and hung on the mount when I get it back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooooh the sleepless nights definitely aren’t fun and everyone has had a couple I sure. Great ending for you and awesome buck congrats!!

Congrats...nice buck! So what was with the food coloring and peroxide in your previous post?

It can/will make blood bubble up. Helps to maybe find more blood on the trail that is too hard to see alone. Just spray a mist in the direction you think he was heading and if it hits blood it will bubble up white, or yellow/orange with the food coloring... it’s not perfect but it helps, made it about 25 yds further then what I did without it and had a better idea of which direction he was heading. Could have maybe found more but I was waiting on back up and didn’t want to step on the track too much, so I jumped ahead about 40 more yards and started searching a wood draw and just stumbled across him...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d0af309007b73434ff1cd8202d90836f.jpg
didn’t think to post this sooner. Have had it on the wall for a month or so now.. official score was 148 and some change...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom