15 Acre Tree Planting Options

Discussion in 'Whitetail Management' started by Jerry Gille, Feb 9, 2020.

1. IowaBowHunter1983

IowaBowHunter1983 Super Moderator Staff Member

Depends on what your goals are. Have you nailed that down.

A hedge/locust patch is about as good as it gets for deer bedding.....

Hardwood11 likes this.
  2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. IowaBowHunter1983

IowaBowHunter1983 Super Moderator Staff Member

This is very much true.

Here is an example. This is only 4 or 5 years apart. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hardwood11 likes this.
  4. Jerry Gille

Jerry Gille New Member

I do have my goals figured out with this effort. I am not a board-foot guy so long-term timber harvests are not what I'm thinking about. But I don't want overgrown pasture timber either. I want good habitat (primarily for whitetails, but other animals as well) but I also want that habitat to be native and good quality. I like watching things like oaks that I have planted grow about as much as I like watching deer grow. I have done some prairie projects on other properties and I really don't want one of them here on this property. I have about an 8 acre spot in the middle of all timber on the place where I live that I let go back naturally about 11 years ago. I planted some trees and shrubs in it but very few of them survive today. It has gone from early grasses, weeds, and forbes to blackberry to shrubs (mainly Shrubby St. Johns Wort and sumac) and trees around the edges. It is great deer habitat and I rarely go into it. It's pretty hard to walk in anyway. But I do check it a time or two each year with snow on the ground to see how it has progressed. I will say this - it looks awesome for deer bedding but I find very few beds in it and these are always under what cedars are there. I still find way more beds in the timber surrounding all of this brush than I do in this brush. It is neat to watch the progression but man it takes time. And at 50 years old I'm starting to get a little short on that!

Hardwood11 and Lucky 13 like this.
  5. Hardwood11

Hardwood11 Trump 2020

From a standpoint of improving a property for future re-sale value (oaks and apple trees) would be the top 2.....walnut/black cherry that planted for future harvest is an option as well--long time to grow those!

6. Jbohn

Jbohn Active Member

I am doing a little of this myself , just smaller areas I am using a lot of different trees not just crop trees , poplar , maple , oaks , dogwood , crab apple, red osier dogwood , Allegheny chinkapin , Chickasaw plum., sumac and willow . I think it's easier to work on an smaller area and do it right then a huge area that's hard to keep up on.. would for sure plant some junk trees if this is for wildlife.. Create cover and food is is my goal ... But if you goal is timber value you would know best ... good luck keep us posted.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020 at 4:57 PM
    Wi transplant likes this.