Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

150 vs 100 grain debate??

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
So, I hear this often. i'm not a ML expert by far as I spend vast majority of my time bow hunting. I will say, I've always been on the 150 grain end of this discussion though. My buddy the other day tried to tell me I should reduce down to 100 grains for all sorts of reasons from accuracy to overkill to not being able to burn all the powder anyways.

My pespective... 4 different guns now, me and my family all shoot 150 grains and it's SUPER ACCURATE. I KNOW my gun shoots FLATTER & FARTHER than the 100 grains, by a substantial amount when i tested on my own. I don't care if I "over-kill" a deer (If I had a rifle, I'd be fine with a .375 H&H if they had soft tips for example :) ). I have more friends that lose deer VS my worrying about "over-killing" a deer. So, if folks have super accuracy, flatter trajectories and better stopping power, why would I switch (per my buddy's point of view)??? I've heard folks say the accuracy isn't as good BUT I watch tons of guys shoot great groups with 150 grains (yes, anyone I've talked to no matter what they are shooting has to find right match or right bullet). PERSONALLY- the kick from 150 grains is nothing that bugs me either- nothing VS my shotgun. If I know I'll shoot FLATTER, FARTHER and have MORE POWER, I'm having a tough time seeing why I would ever change?

BUT- I know there's 2 sides to this and I hear passionate discussion from both sides. What's your point of view, what you prefer and why?

Last edited:
We've always shot 150 grains (the max) of 777 and then when we switched to BlachHorn 209 we shot 110 grains (120 is the max... the equivalent to 150 grains of 777). It grouped best for us when compared to 90 and 120 grains. We love it, it is accurate, and don't plan to change it... seems to be doing great. But we have little knowledge when it comes to this stuff so I'm curious what others have to say as well.

If you can shoot accurately every time there is no need to switch. I am sold on Blackhorn 209 though. I do feel that it is better than 777. I think the biggest thing I like about it is little to no smoke. 3 years ago I had a 160s buck come out at about 4 oclock when the sun was right behind him. He was out there about 180 yards but was well within range. At the shot all I could see was smoke with the 777 and it lingered around for an eternity.

In all honesty, I have no clue which way that deer even ran. I looked for hours and not a trace of nothing. I don't know how I could of missed and to this day I still wonder if I killed it or not. I know if I would of had BH209 I would of been able to watch the deers reaction.

I shoot 3 50 grain 777 pellets behind a TC 200 grain shockwave out of a Knight Revolution. 3'' high at 100 yards puts me right on at 200, 14'' low at 300 and it keeps enough retained energy at that range to kill a deer, and plenty accurate. Farthest shot I have made so far was 275ish on a doe, broke a rib on the way in, broke a rib on the way out, she ran 40 yards and flopped, no need changing something that works that well.

Shoot what ever your gun shoots best and are the most comfortable shooting is my theory. My gun shoot great groups with 100gr 777 but likes to throw them a little with 150gr. My average shot is usually under 100 yards and I watch them fall so it works for me. If it aint broke dont fix it.

This combo worked great on my avatar buck 145yds thru the woods, I also shoot a 245gr barnes spitfire bullet. Thru both shoulders and the spitfire kept on trucking. Looked like he swallowed a hand grenade inside the chest cavity. He is my biggest to date 170 3/8 nine pointer

Last edited:
I used to shoot okay with 150. Only complaint was the random "flyers". I then went to the 777 mag pellets and now to BH209, which is far superior in every aspect.

Been through a lot of guns. Finally settled on an omega with a longer barrel. Worked up a good load and it's a bonified tack-driver!

Ok- this is bad BUT what is "blackhorn 209"?? Good stuff? I'll look the stuff up later when I have something better than phone internet. I have 777 50 grain pellets. Love em but "little smoke" sounds nice? What's the scoop? Have to use less powder- still as powerful as 150 grain 777 - equvilent?

Ok- this is bad BUT what is "blackhorn 209"?? Good stuff? I'll look the stuff up later when I have something better than phone internet. I have 777 50 grain pellets. Love em but "little smoke" sounds nice? What's the scoop? Have to use less powder- still as powerful as 150 grain 777 - equvilent?

Blackhorn is great stuff. Make sure you buy it in the off season though, come season time, you cannot find it ANYWHERE! Should tell you something about it right there. I shoot 2 pellets of 777 Magnums pushing a 300 gr Barnes MZ. I've had great results, and wont change until I run out of powder, then I will consider going to the blackhorn.

Blackhorn is a loose powder, makes it a little harder for a quick easy reload which the pellets offer, HOWEVER, cleaning a blackhorn gun is a piece of cake. The powder leaves a "soot" almost because it burns so hot and so clean. Usually a couple of swipes with a cleaning patch and your good to go. A lot of the guys I've hunted with shoot this, but like I said, my combo hasn't proved me wrong yet, so why fix something that isn't broke? :drink1:

Blackhorn is great stuff. Make sure you buy it in the off season though, come season time, you cannot find it ANYWHERE!

Agree, this stuff rocks. Not affected by moisture, zero shelf life, and just awesome all around. Best aspect is when shooting at the range you NEVER have to clean between shot 1, 3, 5 or 20. Just keep shooting and clean it when you get home. Gun will shoot just fine! This stuff rocks.

I switched to Blackhorn just for the fact you don't have to clean your barrel in between shots. I can shoot all day without cleaning my barrel and it won't make a difference in my groups or ease of loading. At the end of shooting sessions I can then run a couple of wet patches down the barrel and a couple of dry patches and be good to go. I love this stuff, 777 pellets are a thing of the past.

You can buy some EZ loaders from Cabelas that take loose powder so you can reload just as quickly as if you were using pellets.

I shoot[mostly my kids] 2 50 gr. pellets in an old Omega 45 cal. Can the Blackhorn be used in it? How much would you put in? I like the sound of the easy cleaning and less smoke to try to see thru.

It is roughly a 20% reduction in powder charge when using blackhorn 209. 120 grain is the max charge which is 150 grain charge equivelant of 777. If you are using 100 grain of 777, you could back down to 80 grains loose and be shooting roughly the same velocities.

You have to absolutley make sure you shoot a full strength shotgun primer or she may not go boom. Winchester 209s, CCI magnums work great.

You have to absolutley make sure you shoot a full strength shotgun primer or she may not go boom. Winchester 209s, CCI magnums work great.

Very true! And infact its the opposite with the pellets....since its all compacted together, a hotter primer will cause the outside edges to burn faster and not allow the charge to burn evenly, causing "thrown" shots. Muzzleloader 209 with pellets! and SHOTGUN 209 with Blackhorn!

Top Bottom