Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

19pt taken in Cedar county

All i have to say is this:
it is about time we get to see a pic of that pig!!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

Great deer!!

I am for the youth seasons, It may get abused at times but I would say the good out weigh the bad. That is a nice buck either way.

WOW, this post turned tail once that photo showed up!!!

IF YOU CARE, the photo of this buck in the Tipton Conservative is from a different angle (head-on).

Sorry if I mis-spoke... but the stepdad didn't USE this kid as a "triggerman." Sorry to make it sound like that with my original post, but that's not how it happend.

U know I think this is more of a Pride and jealousy issue... I think theres alotta hunters out their that feel jeolousy in that "hey i've been hunting for some plus years and never killed one that big thats bs!" Everyone wants that feelin of killin a world class whitetail, Just some people strike gold faster than others, thats the same with almost every issue in life.. Also knowin that a 9 year old kid did it, alott of guys kinda feel their pride being threatened so there gunna lash out.. U know theres valuable points on each side of this; For me it just motivates me in knowin my day may come and all that work is gunna pay and heck I might connect on a 200 class deer.. Then it would be worth goin through all those years in the field and all I sacrificed.. As long as hes humble and grateful bout it...that all that matters. Just hope one day his dad sits down wit him when hes older and talks more deeply bout his accomplishment, and tell him that not every success comes that easily... I tip my hat off to u kid...sit back and dwell on it, Its gunnne be one of those things that gives u fuel that pushes u through life.. More importantly, keep the passion of the outdoors burning..

G6, you are right...you do sound like an ----!!! You obviously do not have kids of your own. We teach all the time on this site about QDM and letting the small bucks walk, and now you do not think that youth hunters should shoot nice bucks??? The reason they have a youth season is so that the young hunters can hunt during a time when there aren't as many hunters in the field, and hopefully they will have a good experience with their mother or father that will hook them for life. If they happen to shoot a great buck good for them, maybe they learn early on to let young bucks walk and shoot does instead. You can spin it anyway you want calling them trigger kids, but maybe you should just call it was is, a daughter or son sharing a memory that will last a lifetime!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Trophies are in the eye of the shooter. reguardless if it is basket or a booner. My son is 11 and has shot 4 deer all being doe's. He has worked his tail off trying to get a nice buck. He holds the same values as I do when it comes to the size of the buck he will take. I let him decide what he is going to shoot. They only reason I am along is for support. He picks his own setups and which gun he will use. If he was to take a 190" buck I would be extremely happy. I think the reason so many people are having problems with this thread is because of jealousy. G6 have you ever went on a outfitted hunt? That would be the same as taking a youth out hunting and having everything scouted for them. You go to a outfitter and he tells you where the animals are what they have been seeing and you wait were they tell you and you pull the trigger. So the outfitter has done all the work for you and by your own words you are the trigger man for the outfitter so he can brag that he just took $2000 or more from you so you could be the trigger man. Come on let the kids have some fun too.

[/ QUOTE ] I've been on drop camp hunts that we set up I can do my own hunting without help and I never said to let the kids do everything themselfs. I'd love nothing more than to see a kid kill a huge buck but let them do something more than just follow their parents to a spot and shoot the deer when it shows its hide. Not one of you guys can tell me that ANY of the kids that shot those huge bucks taken this year or previously could have done it on their own. So you see they are trigger kids. Point the kid in the right direction and let them make some decisions for themselfs if you take them and give them the satifaction if it's a good one or defeat if it's a bad one, let them learn and have fun. I remember my defeats just as fondly as my successes. BTW It sounds like your son is learning the right way and no I'm not jealous, I have no stock in the deer these kids are shooting do I?

you know, the more and more i think about this, just in the last few minutes, its like parents living vicariously through their children as they do in little league baseball and middle school basketball etc etc. As an 18 year old high school senior, I see it everyday. I hear it every Friday night, the parents sounding like they just want to put on the pads and play for us. Thats the way the youth hunt seems to me. The parents do all of the scouting, putting the blind up, everything but pull the trigger. I may come off as jealous, but believe, I'm not. I've shot a lot of nice bucks, just a lot of deer in general and have been blessed with what i consider one of the best farms to hunt in the Midwest. Jealousy is a non-factor for me in this case. I just see it that I and everyone i hunt with was raised shooting squirrels and rabbits until they were old enough to hunt deer and when they were old enough to hunt deer they were taught by the group but had a lot of independence in how they went about it. Yeah, I know, there's exceptions. I'm sure some of you guys are genuine and really believe in it. But for the most part, what are the kids learning to do besides pull the trigger and kill an animal?

[ QUOTE ]
you know, the more and more i think about this, just in the last few minutes, its like parents living vicariously through their children as they do in little league baseball and middle school basketball etc etc. As an 18 year old high school senior, I see it everyday. I hear it every Friday night, the parents sounding like they just want to put on the pads and play for us. Thats the way the youth hunt seems to me. The parents do all of the scouting, putting the blind up, everything but pull the trigger. I may come off as jealous, but believe, I'm not. I've shot a lot of nice bucks, just a lot of deer in general and have been blessed with what i consider one of the best farms to hunt in the Midwest. Jealousy is a non-factor for me in this case. I just see it that I and everyone i hunt with was raised shooting squirrels and rabbits until they were old enough to hunt deer and when they were old enough to hunt deer they were taught by the group but had a lot of independence in how they went about it. Yeah, I know, there's exceptions. I'm sure some of you guys are genuine and really believe in it. But for the most part, what are the kids learning to do besides pull the trigger and kill an animal?

[/ QUOTE ] AMEN! Spoken like a true Sportsman with some ethics! I'll drop this one since I have said enough on the subject. Congrats to the kid, I hope he's not spoiled to hunting smaller deer and retains ethics to reach his hunting goals in the future.

Oh come on Mark, If you and I were hunting down at the plant, and I saw a 190 inch deer coming out in the same field every night during late muzzleloader and I told you about it because I already had my tag filled. I'd bet money that I don't have that you would sit in that field the next night and you would be nothing more than a triggerman
blush.gif
blush.gif
grin.gif

And if you disagree, I will remember that for late season
evil.gif
busted.gif

Congrats to the kid, that is a heckuva buck!!!
beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Oh come on Mark, If you and I were hunting down at the plant, and I saw a 190 inch deer coming out in the same field every night during late muzzleloader and I told you about it because I already had my tag filled. I'd bet money that I don't have that you would sit in it the next night
blush.gif
blush.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ] That would be a little different Mike, we all hunt ours a**es off to kill our deer down there you know that, wether we got a fluke chance like that or not. BTW Bite Me!
grin.gif

Thanks for getting a pic on here for me mt and muddy. Didn't figure it would ever turn into a debate though.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for getting a pic on here for me mt and muddy. Didn't figure it would ever turn into a debate though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, thanks for the pics guys. That is an awesome buck. Congrats to the kid.

I thought all of the bigguns got debated?!
grin.gif
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
" I just see it that I and everyone i hunt with was raised shooting squirrels and rabbits until they were old enough to hunt deer". "What are the kids learning to do besides pull the trigger and kill an animal?"

[/ QUOTE ]

"Old enough to hunt deer". Hummmm. I didn't know there was a certain age a child must reach before it is ok to kill a BIG deer. You can sugar coat it all you want but it still sounds like a macho-jealousy issue to me. It's the same type of banter that starts rumors down at the coffee shop about "Joe-Schmo killed a monster buck so he must have poached it." Or "Little Billy bagged a real slob so I bet his dad did everything but pull the trigger." Bunch of whiney B.S. if you ask me. Some may say my 8 year old is to young to be deer hunting already and that I must pressure him to want to hunt at such a young age. Wrong, he acts like its Christmas morning every time I ask him to come along. As for comment about the kids just being "The trigger man" you've obviously never sat in the woods with a youngster who is serious about hunting. Being quiet is not easy for most young people. Staying focused, fighting the urge to swat bugs, and remaining still are all things being learned while they are out there with us. Taking time to become proficient marksmen and practicing gun safety are by far the most important aspects of hunting. The younger they start the better and safer they will be down the road. As for the size of the deer youths should take, my boy's first deer was taken this year and it was a dink so guess I don't have to worry about his name or the details of HIS hunt getting drug through the mud or defaced on a hunting forum. I really feel for this kid if he has to defend his honor because of the jealousy his deer of a lifetime creates.
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't know there was a certain age a child must reach before it is ok to kill a BIG deer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to wait until I was 12 and complete hunters safety first...you can take it to the bank that if I was given the opportunity to hunt a deer (ANY DEER) at the age of 8 or 9 I would have been there in a heart beat. Just to be in the woods with my would have made me feel so cool I wouldn't be able to explain it. I used to tag along with various ADULTS in our shotgun hunting party starting at 8 years old... I didn't care too much as long as I was able to get outdoors and be apart of it all.

did i not make it clear i am in no way jealous? honestly, i've shot a lot of nice bucks, i've even blown a shot on a booner, you dont have to speak down on me like I'm lying. yes im sure your sons/daughters are fine hunters, god knows we need more to keep our numbers up. but when its boiled down, i will CONSERVATIVELY say that the youth hunt is 60% kids pulling the trigger and adults living vicariously through them, as they do in everything else.

Wow reading this post was pretty crazy as well as a little infuriating. My Son and Step Son hunted this youth season, it was their first deer season. Although I took the boys to the area we hunted and choose the spots we sat the blind up in they weren’t merely a triggerman. They both helped clear the food plots and plant them. They are in charge of their own hunting gear, keeping it clean and packing it. They shot all summer long and can clean the muzzle loader as well as load it. They helped carry in the blind, camera equipment, chairs, packs and muzzle loader each and every time we went. My son also ran his own trail camera. I merely provided him with the camera and lock along with some corn and apples. He packed it all in and changed out the batteries and cards himself. I have to admit I was pretty proud of his effort and dedication. In fact he got more and better photos of the bucks than I did with my camera on that same piece of ground. Did they shoot deer? Nope neither one of them connected. My Step Son missed a small buck while hunting with his Father and my Son missed a big doe while hunting with me. We also spent last Sunday in the rain doing a little spot and stalk. They both had chances to shoot some does, they just didn’t capitalize on the chances they had. I didn’t care what they shot, although I did worry if one of them was able to shoot the 200" buck that roams that property if it wouldn’t somehow leave a bad taste in their mouth. A few of the people who have responded to this post is exactly why I’m glad they didn’t shoot a big buck. At 11 and 12 they wouldn't understand why a fellow hunter wouldn't be happy for them! I could hear it now ( Oh his Dad is a video hunter and I’m sure he just put him on that deer and he pulled the trigger ) you know if I were that vain that I had to have that buck I sure wouldn’t have let anyone else kill the deer but myself, including my son. All and all even though the boys didn’t kill anything they had a great time and they can’t wait for their next chance to get out and neither can I!

Chris

from a stand point of having went out youth hunting with my father, i just enjoyed going out with dad, it was a chance to feel like one of the guys going out deer hunting, all i shot in my youth career was one doe. if you are all so worried about children being trigger pullers then what in the hell is everyone that group hunts the gun seasons. hey sit there and i will walk through this woods if deer come out shoot them! (don't get me wrong i love gun season-just proving a point) all you have to do is sit there and wait. come on fellas this is getting a little ridiculous, how would some of you idiots feel if they shut down youth season cause the kids were just killing their parents deer. what would happen to the kids that just wanted to get out and feel what it was like to hunt with dad.

i say back off the kids, i know i get jealous when i see the huge deer these kids are killing, it just compels me to spend more time out in the woods, if you have ever missed a shot at a big buck then you obviously know that there is a lot more than just pulling the trigger.

i agree with the person who said that the average age of hunters is going up, for those of you who are obviously not that smart that means fewer and fewer kids are hunting. how many wouldn't hunt if they didn't have nice weather and a good experience going out? how many of you enjoy hunting and realize that their are people out there that want to end hunting and possesion of firearms, at my age i have many years of hunting left in front of me and i don't want this to be taken from me, the more youth out there hunting the better invested for our future that we are. if kids aren't given the opportunity at a good experience they may never get in to hunting, as the number of hunters decline it will be harder to uphold our rights, so for those of you b!tching about this grow up, the kids shooting these deer you are so concerned about probably could figure this out better than you.

I wanted to stay out of this conversation, but my hatred for these smug little 9 nine year olds has taken over. I am, of course, kidding. The kid is nine, get off his back. This deer just hooked this kid on hunting for life. You guys need to find the good in things like this, not call these kids "triggermen". What a ridiculous thing to say to a kid that just had a very sucessful youth hunt. Congrats to the kid and to the adult that took him out. The purpose of the youth hunt is to introduce kids to the outdoors. I say, mission accomplished. Becoming a sportsman doesn't happen overnite, but now this kid has a helluva start. He already learned one important lesson, how to shoot big deer!

[ QUOTE ]

The ONLY reason anyone objects to youth season is out of pure selfishness, nothing else.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, congtrats to the kids, I hope the parents are letting them do the parts of the hunt they are capable of. Each year they will be more and more capable of doing everything required. If they are to have any kind of success, even a close encounter with a deer, they will need help from an experienced hunter. My son learned more in 3 weeks than I learned in my first 3 years of deer hunting. I do hope when I see 6 year old girls with a big buck with gelled hair and no blaze orange, they actually were the trigger person. The parents have to live with it if it isn't by the book. Ya, I'm sure there are some who abuse the youth season, but the warm weather makes it much easier to get the little ones started. I think is it great to let the kids have first shot, it isn't like the rut is going on, most big bucks are not seen in the daylight this time of year anyway, are they?? I hunted with my 10 son this year (first hunt ever) and on the last morning of youth season he was able to get a small buck, 3 weeks seemed like a long season to him, he's hooked for life. I think he was probably hooked the first evening when a doe busted us and shorted, stomped and carried on for about 10 munites trying to figure out what was in the tree stand. Give the kids a chance, the abusers are just poachers and you all know we will always have them, just like cockroachs.

Top Bottom