Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2 Blade VS 3 Blade Broadheads? my results & want your opinion

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, did a lot of testing and my penetration testing was over about 4 different types of "very realistic" situations and material (one test did have bone like material). Let's leave brand of broadhead out of this....
1 Example I shot was a 100 grain 2 blade with a good size cut.
2nd example was a 125 grain broadhead that has a little bit smaller cut BUT with 3 blades, maybe that means it's more cutting???
*(I did 100 with the 2 blade and 125 with 3 blade because those were my viable options I liked with my limited Deep six type heads, so let's not focus on that).

OK...... Over and over and over - 4 different scenarios and many shots.....
The 125 grain 3 blade got about 2-3" deeper penetration than 2 blade. Now, I am not sure whether I attribute that to the fact it's 25 grains more or other reasons. Whatever the case, it was a little more.

1) SO - will the 3 blade have more cutting diameter and wound channel than a 2 blade? Let's just make up figures.... Saying a 3 blade had 1.5" diameter and a 2 blade had 2" - which has a bigger wound channel & do more damage?
2) Is 2-3" penetration a big deal for you bow guru's? Would you add 25 grains but lose a little speed & trajectory or would 2-3" not be enough to make you go heavier?

THANKS!!!

I will probably keep shooting my 2 blades, and like many things just a comfort issue. I know we aren't mentioning brands and nor am I, but I do remember having a specific 3 blade head having trouble fully opening at times so at that time I just had more faith in a 2 blade head. A marginal shot will always be iffy regardless of broadhead and fixed heads will probably always be king in terms of shoulder or straight bone hits. I have been on the expandable head train for the past 5 years and don't see myself going back to a fixed head.

Hi Sligh,

Let's start with cutting diameter and look at exposed surface. If you have a two blade broad head that cuts a 2 inch diameter slit (technically it's not a true 2 inch diameter circle, it's closer to an inch). So, your radius on a one inch diameter hole is .5 inches taking 2x3.14x.5 for circumference = a hole with a circumference of 3.14 inches

Looking at the 3 blade with a cutting diameter of an inch and 1/8 you take 2x3.14.x.5625=3.5325 inches in circumference.

So why do 2 blades seem bleed more? It has to do with the shape of the hole. All else being equal, the 3 blade has a greater cutting surface its just packed into a smaller area.

Next lets look at arrow weight. I never understood why we deal with kinetic energy. What we really want to know is the momentum of the object we are hurling at our targets. Kinetic energy translates into how much work an object can do but momentum equates into how much work it takes to stop an object. Momentum has more to do with mass than speed. Think of it like catching a 90 mph fastball or stopping your 100 LB kid on their bike going 10 mph.

Arrows are similar. Shoot the heavy ones. They go slower but will have the needed momentum to punch through bone easier than a lighter, faster arrow.

It's always been a trade off. The trick is to find the balance.

My arrow weight is heavy. 460 grains with the 100 grain head and 485 with the 125 grain. Injexion arrows and I love them. I'm at 285-290 FPS and that's some great momentum and KE both. I easy could be into the 300's if I shot a lighter arrow of course but 285-290 with that weight sure isn't bad, imo. These are the heaviest Injexions that spined well with current bow. 11 gpi, that's pretty stinkin heavy (minimum you can do I believe is 5 GPI, so I'm over double that). Fast for how heavy.

What would cutting diameter be of a 1.5" 3 blade or where do you find that equation? I see 2" is 3.14 inches above. Like I said, penetration was better by 2-3" with 3 blade BUT - it's 25 grains heavier, could be only reason??? So, if that's the case, I need to figure out if the wound channel is much better with the 3 blade because, if they were same weight, I'm guessing penetration would be equal. But, the 2nd side note too, maybe 2-3" of penetration, going from 100 to 125 grain is worth it as well?

Last edited:
Diameter is the measurement of a circle from one side to the other. Hold a bucket straight out in front of you with your hands on either side. How far apart are your hands? 16 inches? This would be the diameter. Take a steel tape and measure the outside of the bucket. How many inches around is it? It would be about 50 inches if your bucket is 16 inches diameter. That measurement is the circumference.

If your 3 blade has a 1.5 inch diameter that means it's an inch and a half from one side of the hole to the other.

Something else to consider is how sharp each one of your test broad heads are.

As to whether or not 2-3 inches of penetration matter, I believe they do. I've hit a deer's shoulder blade and wished I would have those few more inches.

Equations

How about cutting channel or actual area cut. I know I'm not quite asking this question right since I'm not a gear guy, so, let me ask this way..... If I had a 1.5" 3 blad or a 1.5" 2 blade, what would the "cutting area" or "wound channel", etc, etc differences be? I ask in my above example wondering if 2" 2 blade does "less actual cutting" than a 1.5 3 blade for example.
Ya, that 2-3" makes me agree with you, I've experienced exactly what you're saying.

I believe both broadheads are extremely sharp but that's a good question and don't know how to answer that one.

They have the same cutting area in terms of width of the hole they leave/cut. The difference is in the kind of hole they create.

The 3 blade will leave 3 flaps (wound closure more difficult) the 2 blade will essentially cut one hole (wound seems larger but closure is less difficult).

Now, I have a lot to work to do today but there is a lot more on this subject that we haven't talked about in regards to what I just mentioned. If I have time later today (if not then tomorrow) I'll try to cover those.

Skip....do any quartering tests or were they all straight on? There have been a lot of tests like you conducted and If I remember correctly there was far less "deflection" issues with a 3 blade.

I have shot a few deer with 2 blades and the most with 3 blades. I personally like 3 blades as it seems the hole is less prone to plugging up.

Skip....do any quartering tests or were they all straight on? There have been a lot of tests like you conducted and If I remember correctly there was far less "deflection" issues with a 3 blade.

All these last posts about the 3 blades are matching up to what I am reading about when researching too. Deflection, how a hole can seal up with 2 blade, etc. U guys r making very valid points that I'm seeing a lot of consistency with now that I'm digging. Good info, it really is appreciated!!! Why I like this site and posts like yours- I just don't wanna trust the marketing out there or products that have sponsors who say xyz is the best. Thx for the great feedback!

Top Bottom