Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2004 Food Plot Progress

CornDude

How is everyones' food plots progressing? I completed my 5th food plot on Sunday and it was perfect timing cuz we just received 1.2" of rain.
I planted imperial clover on the 28th of April, 2nd of May and 9th of May and it has all emerged and is looking like a solid stand. I hope it holds.
The only concern I have is that I may have planted at a higher than planned population. Have any of you ever seen the result of planting too heavy?? What are the setbacks?

Kevin,
How many pounds per acre did you plant...usually as you probably know 3 to 5 pounds per acre for a new seeding. Let me know and I can come out and take some pictures of the progress (without any landmarks or course
grin.gif
) so everyone can watch it grow...

Did you plant clover in all plots?

Limb,
I planted imperial clover at 3 locs and at the other 2 locs I planted roughly half imperial and half biologic's clover plus. I'd like to see a side by side comparison along with some chicory with the clover plus. I tried my best to plant at the suitable rate but I know I'm on the heavy side. I talked to Jim Stebral a couple months ago and he suggested to double your rate.
I was thinkin' of taking some pics. Get ahold of me and come out to take some whenever you want.
(No GPS units, only cameras.
laugh.gif
)

I planted 3 acres of soybeans for deer .Hope snow doesn't get deep.Also leave a few corners of corn . The tracks last winter were solid never found 1 shed go figure
confused.gif

Windwalker - a suggestion for your consideration... if you are planting beans for a food plot, do it later than May. One of the best hunts I ever had was in late October over a still semi-green beanfield that had been planted that year on the Fourth of July. ( It was washed out by rain once and then replanted late.) It was the only field around that I knew about that was still green at that time of the year. Every deer in the section was showing up there in the evening.

Let the deer hammer everyone else's green beans in July and August and set it up so yours is the only game in town come October. This is what I plan to do this year anyway. Good luck!

Top Bottom