Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2015.........A New Beginning

Shovelbuck

I've been thinking about posting this for a few weeks now and finally decided that if it could possibly help just one person, then it will be worth it.
2015 found me at the lowest point of my life. I wasn't just a little overweight, I was a lot. Scientific name, morbidly obese. I blamed it on bad knees which limited my walking and my atrial fib that I deal with daily. Truth is, it was my love for food, and getting heavier by the month which in turn limited what I could do for exercise. I would get out of breath just walking the ten yards to the mail box and back and any little activity would leave me light headed.
March 3rd. gave me a wake up call when I had to pass up an opportunity to go photograph eagles with my wife as I knew it would be too far for me to walk into where the nest was.
That hit me hard and I decided right then to take back control of my life. If I hadn't, I doubt I'd of been here telling the story now.
Long story short, I now eat a lot healthier foods and limit my calorie intake substantially. I didn't have a weight loss surgery, just my appendix removed July 1st.
I'm back living the life that I previously enjoyed so much, pheasant and quail , rabbit and other small game hunting, along with other outdoor activities. Most importantly, being able to spend more time with my wife, family and new grand daughter. Hopefully for many years to come.
Surprisingly, it hasn't really been all that difficult. To date, I've lost 180 lbs.!!!!! I want to go at least another 50-75 then I'll evaluate where I want to go from there.
It's great not being winded and dizzy from simple activities and I know my heart likes it better. My blood pressure is now considered low and the Dr. will probably take me off those meds next time I see him.
With all that said, here's a few pics from here in Nebraska.

Before........................

Currently...................

Enjoying life again........................:)

First turkey this winter taken with original 16 ga. shotgun....

Second turkey taken with flintlock fowler.....

This is the exercise I do, cut fire wood by hand!

A couple of quail.......

Out on a bunny hunt........

Bowhunting.............

Squirrel hunting..............

It's been a heck of a ride the past 9 months and I'm really looking forward to 2016 and continuing this weight loss. This spring I should be able to get serious about shed hunting again along with looking for morel mushrooms! :) The next goal is to lose 20 more lbs by March 3rd so I can have lost 200 lbs in a year. It will be close.
Good luck to everyone with those New Years resolutions! :)
Stay safe and have a great 2016. :)
Jay

Good for you Jay you look great! Can't wait for you to share all your adventures you capture with the camera I always enjoy them!
Here's to your continued success!

Last edited:
Jay,

That is outstanding! Congrats and thanks for sharing. Great pics. I am reminded of the movie, Jeremiah Johnson with a few of them. How are you at making rabbit? :)

Good for you. I have to bite my tongue alot when I listen to people complain about health issues and not being able to do this or that...when all they really need to do is change their lifestyle. Congrats and keep it up Jay

Good for you Jay you look great! Can't wait for you to share all your adventures you capture with the camera I always enjoy them!
Here's to your continued success!

Absolutely!! ^^ That is a great accomplishment and a testament to your strong character. I was very happy to read your account and look forward to many more posts from the big, er I mean, medium sized man from Nebby! :D

Congratulations!

Damn!!! Great job! You set an example that way too many of us should follow. Well done, good sir! Well done! May you live long & prosper!

Very impressive... In the process of making some of those same life style changes. Very inspiring. Thanks for sharing

Top Bottom