Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2015 AZ Hunting Journal

AZHunter

Iowa Boy At Heart
After some long thought, and at the urging of others, I’ve decided to keep another Arizona hunting journal this year; however, this one will be a little different. This won’t be my journal about just my elk hunt with something separate for Sydney. This is going an all-out hunting journal for both me and Syd to keep tabs of our hunting and life, in general, throughout the year. After last year and then having to tell her that she didn’t get drawn, but I did, I realized that she is as much a part of my hunting journey as I am. I’ve had days over the years where I didn’t want to head out without her. Obviously, I’m a big part of hers, at least until she’s 16 and can drive herself. I can only hope to still be apart of her hunting adventures! It only seems right that we keep a journal together and she’ll be sitting down at her pace and keeping tabs as she progresses with me. Herein, it begins…

Work has kept be extremely busy with being in our leadership development program, my regular workload, and helping another office on two BIG projects, one of which is a great conservation effort. Free time this winter/spring hasn’t been abundant, especially when chasing two kids all over the place. Finding the time to shoot my bow has been tough and the times I get to have been tougher because I realized that I’m behind the strength curve in my left shoulder after my surgery two years ago. PT was going great until I found out my mom was diagnosed with lung cancer. After PT ended, I was all about taking care of her and getting her healthy, to the demise of my shoulder strength. I’m working my way back into it, shooting mostly close range to work on strength and form, although one 50-yard group this weekend proved hopeful (all in the kill zone). 70 yards is a much different story, but I have faith I’ll get there again by September 11.

After a crazy-dry, hot winter, our spring (late winter?) finally got here in mid-April. We’ve had a mix of heavy rain, light snow, medium snow, light rain, and more heavy rain off and on since April 16. I’ve been eager to get a camera out, but needed to figure out where. I hunted with a friend who had this tag last year and called in a bull for him (shot but not recovered; shoulder blade) and he told me this year he had two buddies who had that tag, but I was welcome to go with them into “the sweet spot”. The idea of being a third wheel doesn’t excite me, so I went back to my map and started thinking. I remembered an area in my unit that I discovered on my last hunt three years ago. It’s a wallow up on top of a bench that was pretty heavily used back then. This was the area I had a big bull facing me at 50 yards with a branch across his chest. I still remember it so vividly. I GPSd the general area and knew I could find it again if I came in from the right area. We decided that we had an opening on Memorial Day weekend, so we loaded up and took off to the area to place my camera. The storms in the general area the day before should have been a clue, but I figured we’d be ok. The roads were great until about 2-3 miles in off the main road. Things got really messy, really quick and I was in 4-low hoping that it would get better eventually, because going back was not an option. At one point, I was praying that we wouldn’t slide off the road into the stock tank (cattle pond) that was flooded and up against the road. That would have sucked royally!

We decided to forego the next side road where I knew to go in from because I had a feeling it would have been worse since its on a decline and the next road out was through a bottom, hence it would have been even worse! We hiked in and I found what I think is the wallow, but there could be another one. Once it dries out, I’ll head back in and scout around some more. Syd and I discussed the camera placement and agreed on a tree that wasn’t too close, but wouldn’t get hit by the sun (its northwest facing). I like how she’s so eager to learn and be a part of it, even if its not her hunt. After getting the camera secured, I turned around to see her halfway up a ponderosa pine snag, with her dog, sitting below looking extremely worried. The storms were brewing to the north of us, so my suggested we get out quickly and hope that the roads were in better shape ahead. They were and I had no further need for 4-low, but 4-High did come in handy for a few more miles! Life is still crazy (just got back from a shadow assignment in Lakewood, CO), but warming up and drying out. I’m hoping to carve out some time on the 13th to head back out to the camera and see if the fresh tracks we crossed are elk using the wallow!

Some pics of the area are below, as well as a pic or two of Syd playing keeper in her last two tournaments this May. She got a new keeper jersey for her 11th birthday in April and she picked this one herself! Her team went out strong and finished the last tournament of the season with 2nd place. After the championship game, 3-4 parents from the other team pulled me aside and asked me if I was the keeper’s dad. I very proudly admitted that and they all praised her and the amazing job she did in shutting their team down. Syd’s team lost 2-1, but the other team had been winning 10-0 in the first 2-3 games! That was a great feeling and I gladly passed on the compliments.

The wallow from the camera point of view.

Syd up in the tree.

My truck after getting out. The picture doesn't do it justice. The windshield was caked, the undercarriage had (still has, actually) 2 inches of mud.

Syd's deer hide finally back and hung up.

Making a great save.

Big punt, rocking her new keeper jersey!

I'm really glad you two decided to keep a journal again. Looks like a busy start to the year already, can't wait to see what happens!

Update #1: First Card Pull

After three weeks of off and on rain/sun, we finally got out Saturday morning to pull my camera card and see what’s been happening at the wallow. The roads in were in much better condition, which was a huge relief. As we were driving in and I was paying attention to the road conditions, I heard Sydney yell “ELK!” and we looked up to see a bachelor herd of about four-five bulls trotting off. Two were raghorns, but one looked really good. We couldn’t see the other one as he trotted into the woods. That was a great feeling to see a big bull running around.

All in all, this was a rather frustrating and disappointing trip, with the exception of the bulls we saw. We were planning on a quick grab and go with the card, so we packed light. When we finally got out there, we found out our son decided to ignore us and not put on good shoes or boots, so he was stuck hiking a half-mile in to the camera in his flip flops. We made it in to the camera and discovered that the wallow was bone dry and I couldn’t see any fresh footprints in the area. Leaving the camera there didn’t excite me at all, but I didn’t have a good idea of where to move it to right off the top of my head…until my GPS reminded me that the area where I got into elk was less than a half-mile from us. Heading this way would also put us closer to the truck, so we decided to head that way and see if I could stumble across the original wallow, which I know was closer that way, or a well-used trail. As we got going and the day started to heat up, we realized the error of our poor planning. Jacob’s feet were hurting and neither he nor Sydney had water with them. We made the decision to head on back to the truck and come back later to spend more time searching the area and be better prepared. My wife and I planned to get up at 0500 Sunday morning and head out there for a couple of hours, but that fell through after staying up too late Saturday watching a movie. I’m debating on taking a morning off later this week to head out there and scout around the main area and find a spot for my camera. There’s a chance we’ll be gone camping in another area this weekend, so I may not be able to get out there for a while if I don’t get out in the next few days.

The card pull was also disappointing, but after seeing the wallow dried up, I didn’t have high hopes. There were pictures of two small bulls and one raghorn that could still develop into a decent 5x5. And all elk pictures were from Friday afternoon and Saturday morning before we got there. Almost three weeks of sitting there with no activity. I was a little surprised that the wallow dried up that quickly. There is tons of elk sign in there and, based on my experiences three years ago, this area sits high on my list of places for opening morning. I need to touch base with my buddy to see if he has a camera on the tank where all the big bulls were showing up three years ago, but I also know he’s concentrating on scouting last year’s burn area for his two friends after hunting there last year.

On another note, we dropped Sydney off at a sleep-away camp down by Prescott yesterday afternoon. She’ll be there for two weeks. This isn’t the first time we’ve let her travel like this, but this is the first time it will be with no contact beyond letters in the mail (no phone, no email, etc.) for the entire two weeks. I waved goodbye one last time and she quickly turned around to hang out with her cabin mates. I know she’s going to be just fine and will probably come back an even better person, but this is tough. The house is way too quiet for me and I miss my buddy. Fortunately, I’ll be in D.C. for my second leadership shadow assignment next week, so I’m hoping that will keep me so busy as to ease the empty feeling I have right now. Pick up time on the 27th begins at 0830. My wife and I have decided that we’ll be there waiting for the gate to open by 0815!!

Enough rambling. You all want to see elk pics!

Youngster who needs 3-5 more years

Another youngster

Raghorn with potential (in order of appearance). The bigger one we saw driving in would have towered over this guy.

Update #2: Cam Back Out On Water

With my schedule as crazy as it is now and in the near future, we managed to get my camera back out last night. Our original plan was to get it back out in the area where I had it, but, as is often the case, life happens and we had to regroup. The plan was to head out after work, hike the half-mile or so into the area, search for the spot I was thinking of, and drive back, getting some of the necessities taken care of that popped up. Its an hour drive out, up to an hour of searching and then an hour drive back. That would have gotten us back into town late. As I was driving somewhere yesterday, I remembered the stock tank just south of town that I sat a few mornings and evenings three years ago. Its closer to home (15 minutes from home) and easier to get to, giving us more time to do what we needed to do. I’d rather have the camera in an area that I’m still interested in, even if it may not be my primary interest area; especially with my schedule not allowing me back out for at least two weeks. The plan is to see what happens at this tank for 2-3 weeks and then get out and explore the other area again when we have more time.

When I hunted this unit three years ago, I put this camera about a quarter mile up from the tank along a trail that was leading in/out. A friend of mine was adamant that all the elk in that area come in from that direction. I didn’t get anything to make my heart jump on camera and when I hunted it, all of the elk came in from the bench right above. Based on this, I decided to put the camera closer to that ingress/egress point and right on the tank where most of the use is. Its about a half-mile hike into this area, dropping down into a canyon. Along the way, we picked up the heavy elk smell on the flat above the canyon, telling me they are in the area regularly. The dogs’ noses went into overdrive and lead us to two different beds under oak trees. I was hoping they’d turn up an overlooked antler, but no such luck! Down at the tank, I was not disappointed by the elk activity! The usual ingress spots for drinking were loaded with prints!

View from camera. Main ingress/egress was from the bench behind the tank and just out of the view to the upper right.

My helper on this trip. He misses his sister, but he’s eager to learn elk hunting.

My beautiful wife and biggest supporter. That's a lot of growth from the April/May rains. Its covering two big German shepherds.

A view of the overall area. Standing up on the flat above the canyon on the hike out. Three years ago, after texting off and on with Risto, I ended up chasing two bulls up that ridge in the background. There were times I was grabbing shrubs above me to pull myself up the hill.

Update #3: Elk On The Water!

Life has finally settled down enough for me to put something coherent together. I’ve been gone more than home the last three weeks and its been rough. As I was driving back from a meeting in Las Vegas last week, it hit me that I haven’t had (made?) time to shoot my bow like I should be doing and that maybe this hunt isn’t in the cards for me. I won’t lie, it felt extremely weird to say those words and then, after a stressful chain of events tell my wife I was thinking about throwing in the towel. Fortunately for me, God blessed me with the woman I am proud to call my wife. She told me to give it three weeks and if things hadn’t changed, she’d support my decision. In the meantime, she’d start shooting with me. While I was in DC on my last leadership shadow assignment, she walked into the archery shop down here and bought herself a recurve! She was going to commit to shooting with me so that I would stay the course and she could learn and have fun along the way. Syd reaffirmed her commitment to me and even Jacob got back in the swing, correcting some form errors he was having What a difference that made on my morale. We shot as a family every day from Thursday afternoon through Sunday. As we woke up Sunday at 0700, my wife said “Let’s get some coffee and go shoot our bows.” As we were getting up, we looked out the window to see Sydney pulling arrows from her target. She’d gotten up, snuck outside, and shot four groups before we were even out of bed! Blessed, I am….

Minnie and I snuck away real quick Saturday afternoon while the kids were resting after the parade (Syd marched with her soccer club) to swap the camera card after sitting on that stock tank for three weeks. I was pleasantly surprised to see just over 700 pictures on the card when we got home. Most of them were cow elk with calves, but there were a couple of mule deer (one spike), a couple of cool mountain riparian hawks (Blackhawks), and even a couple of locals seining for something. I love getting pics of elk calves being playful, though. Of all the elk pics, there was only one very young nubbins bull and one spike with about 18-20” spikes. No big bulls. I was disappointed, but I know there are some good bulls in that area and they will be there come hunting season. I was so used to having trophy bulls every card pull three years ago that I expected that this time. In reality, when I went to hunt the area with my camera three years ago, the big bulls vanished. I spoke to another buddy last night and we agreed that where there are cows, there will be bulls come rut. We spoke about a few areas that he’s gotten insight on and we’re going to work on making sure I’m in one or more of those areas opening weekend. He’ll be helping two other buddies of his, but I certainly feel better about what’s in front of me. It also helps that I have not set high (trophy-quality) standards. At lunch today, I spoke with my buddy that hunted with me three years ago and told him what was on my mind. He had the same take as my local friend in reminding me that any bull you can take with archery equipment is a trophy. He also reminded me that if you find the cows and where they're hanging out, you'll find the bulls eventually. Hunt the cows and you'll end up hunting bulls in the rut.

I also confirmed today that I’m heading out Sunday with the dad of one of Syd’s teammates to have him show me some tucked away areas in my unit that he’s hunted before and should produce. My wife talked me into leaving my camera on the tank its on right now, so I’m going to see if I can’t make arrangements to get another camera before this weekend to hang up out in this area if it looks good.

Sorry there aren’t any good horn pics yet, but there’s still time.

Minnie with her recurve

Jacob fixing his form

Blackhawks

Battling calves

Cows/Calves

Mule deer

Young bull at night

Spike

Thanks for the update. Great pictures. Fantastic to see the whole family involved in archery.

The Huntress Scores Again!!

Found out bright and early this morning that Sydney got drawn for both deer and javelina! All we know is that my credit card got charged, but we don't know the deer unit yet (buck tag or doe tag). The javelina tag is the same as the buck tag, so we're crossing our fingers for a combo-hunt and Syd's first chance at a buck! I think she's going to work on her first journal entry soon after hearing the news.

Excitement all around the house this morning!

Syd's First Entry

Hey guys. Its Sydney. Dad logged into his account so I could put my first journal entry up.

When people ask me what I do for a hobby, my answer is always soccer. I LOVE soccer! And I have the greatest team of all time. My parents are always supportive of what I choose to do so I can pursue my dreams. I'm excited for this coming season, which starts in a couple of weeks. And yes, I was glued to the TV for the Women's World Cup. GO USA!!

Hunting is also what I do for a hobby. Sometimes soccer and hunting overlap. I have missed a lot of games or days of the hunting season doing what I love most, hunting and soccer. Every hunt that I’ve had, I feel I’ve learned something: responsibility, loyalty, integrity, respect, and honesty. Mostly, I have learned maturity.

Two weeks ago, I had my ingrown toenails removed. If I didn’t, it would have been very painful to play soccer. It would hurt way too bad. It is such a relief to get them out! And they look great! They feel great, too! Hiking on my hunts won't be as painful, either, so I'm glad I finally had them removed.

I know I got drawn for a deer and javelina tag, but we don't know what deer hunt I have. It could be the same doe hunt I had last year, or it could be a youth buck tag in a good unit. I liked the doe hunt last year, but I'm ready for a buck hunt! One of dad's friends knows the unit well and says he'll help us find a good buck if its that unit! Dad says the results should be out any day now. Fingers crossed!!

Congrats on your deer tag and I hope you get that buck tag. Enjoy your time in school there is plenty of time to do your other passion when you get out.For me it was hunting first then sports. Good luck this fall.

Good luck Syd, we are all hoping you get that buck tag. Keep after your two passions. Soccer is my favorite sport also, it'll keep you in shape for that hunt too.

Long Entry, Pic Heavy, and...BULLS!!

Last Thursday, we got the draw results. As expected, I didn’t draw any tags for the fall deer or bighorn hunt. We knew which javelina hunt Syd had because we only put her in for one unit. Syd asked me to not reveal her deer tag results because she wants to do that herself in an upcoming journal entry. She should have that this week. This entry is all me…and its long!

As Syd alluded to her two passions in her recent entry, she started her pre-season keeper training last Friday. I know she gets a little embarrassed when I brag about her, but what dad (parent) doesn’t want to brag on their kids’ accomplishments. After a pretty rigorous keeper workout, her goalie coach had her work on some keeper-specific core exercises. Part of her plan to improve her skills and game this year is to train with weighted keeper gloves. They weigh 1.5 lbs each for the youth model and, after one session, she loves them. Since keepers do everything with their gloves, he had her wear them during the core workouts (the black gloves). The first time was a little slow to get used to the drill, but the second time around was much smoother and she managed to break her previous attempt. I sat their recording it in awe.

Action Video

Life has been extremely crazy these past few weeks with work taking a heavy toll on me. I’ve been trying to maintain my own big workload while helping another biologist do his job and getting a high priority project across the finish line while the other biologist is on a 2-week vacation. Being dependable and knowledgeable about the species is a blessing and a curse! On top of that, I’ve been trying to get prepared for the last week of my leadership development program and being gone all next week in West Virginia for that. I bring all of this up because its made it very difficult to get excited about my upcoming hunt. Trying to fit in family-time when I’m not at work has been my top priority, to the detriment of some of my scouting and preparations. On top of that, I’m having Lasik eye surgery Thursday morning. After 25 years of wearing contacts, I’ve hit my breaking point. My eye doctor has been bugging me for three years, so I’m finally pulling that trigger!

Enough pitty party because I’m finally back on track and getting excited for the hunt. Two weeks ago, a friend showed me a spot that he’s hunted before in the past. There used to be a mineral lick there, but it was mostly gone. After hiking two miles into this area, I decided I would challenge the grey area of salt blocks (relatively new law in AZ) and drop my 12-lb Trophy Rock on the old lick and hang my new camera. It sat there for two weeks and we pulled the card this past Saturday. There were about 200 pics in two weeks. There were several mule deer does, one mule buck, several raghorn bulls, one young spike, and two bulls that really stood out. I’m guessing these are easily 330”+ bulls.

Spike. Even the little bulls deserve some respect.

Little-ish guy

Hopefuls

Top Candidates in This Area

Yesterday morning, I made a quick solo hike into the stock tank where I had over 700 pics of cows/calves. The hike in was full of fresh beds, heavy elk smell, and fresh droppings. I missed them by a few hours. I never get tired of that smell. When I finally got a chance to view that card, the cows/calves didn’t disappoint! Most of the 600+ pics were that same herd. There were a handful of muley does and a young muley buck. There were two big surprises on there, though. I have a picture of a Coues whitetail doe! I knew they were in the general area, and saw one north of this area three years ago, but to get one at the tank is awesome! I hope a whitetail buck shows up soon, too. To give you some perspective, that’s an adult doe. Coues whitetail are tiny. I had a couple of “interesting” pics of a young bull (spike I think) trying to “get ahead of the rut” and those are just funny. Then a raghorn bull showed up right at last light one evening. I was thinking “He’ll work if I end up here and he walks in”. Then I clicked to the next picture. Holy 6x6!! Even my wife commented on how great he is.

Coues Whitetail Doe

Mule Deer Doe for Comparison

Crazy Cows (Because I love it when they act like silly cow elk!)

One in every crowd!

Pre-rut practice?

Average Bull

Big Guy Made Me Jump A Little

On top of all that, we took a small family trip to Phoenix the weekend prior. I met up with a guy who bought my Pretty Boy turkey decoy from me and he told me how well he knows my unit, he knows where the big bulls go during the rut, and he’ll come up and hunt with me opening weekend. I was dumbfounded. He said he chased a 420” bull in there two years ago, and passed up 330”-350” bulls because it was the big guy or nothing. I told him my situation with soccer and life, in general, and that my standards weren’t overly high going into this hunt. I’d gladly take a 330” bull! He’s confident that we can make it happen opening day. After what I learned three years ago, I’m keeping my confidence in check. I’m confident that I’ll have fun chasing bulls in a month and a half and I’ll leave it at that. I’m putting the rest in the Good Lord’s hands!

We spent time at the archery range yesterday as a family. It was absolutely great! I love watching my wife and kids take off and find success of their own. I’ve been shooting 40 yards at home, but needed to get back to some long range shooting. I started at 50 yards and the first two felt great. Shots 3-4 didn’t feel so great and it showed. I settled back down and brought shot 5 back home. All shots were in the kill zone, but it felt great to center punch. I stepped over to 60 yards and had the same results. That was a confidence builder! My 70-yard shooting was ok, but not great. All shots were in the kill zone and a couple were dead on, but I also realize that after 30 shots, my shoulders were getting tired. I’ll start with 70 yards next time to get a better assessment.

50-yard shot pic.

Today, as I type this, I feel extremely blessed to have the family, friends, and life I have. I’m finally excited for my hunt. I’m excited that I have good options and am starting to form a plan for opening weekend and the first week. I may not end up camping like I usually do because the main places I’m looking at are all within a 20-minute drive from my house. As much as I love camping for a hunt, I love my own bed and a hot shower after a long day! Thanks for indulging me on this long post. With everything I have going on the next 2-3 weeks, I don’t know when I'll get back out to check the cams again before archery deer opens August 21st. I'll find time, though, because I got a text from the guy helping me mentioning putting a cam on a tank in his "sweet spot" during the deer hunt!

Last edited:
Nice update. Look forward to your hunt and your daughters. Cant wait to see some bone hit the ground!

Top Bottom