Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2015 Iowa Taxidermy Show and Competition

ReinertsonTaxidermy

I’ve been PM’d recently by a few members interested in this year’s show. I know there are many more of you on this site who either do taxidermy or want to learn more about it. We would love to have you join us for the show in March. I wanted to get this info out early to give people time to put a piece together and make arrangements.

This is a very unique opportunity for anyone who does taxidermy or wants to learn about this art. Many of the best taxidermists in the United Sates will be there giving seminars. If this is you first time going, the show registration is only $20. 20 bucks to learn from the best is more than a steal. Plus you will learn from everyone else too. My skill level has grown leaps and bounds since going to these shows and competing. Everyone is willing to share tips and tricks since we are not competing against each other, we are competing against a perfect live specimen.

For you guys doing whitetail taxidermy, there is no better or faster way to make your next mount the best you’ve ever done. Bring a whitetail shoulder mount to the competition and have it judged by the most knowledgeable whitetail taxidermist in the world. Bryan Eppley is a 14 time world champion with whitetail sculpting. It costs a mere $10 to enter and have Bryan spend time with you and critique your mount. This is an invaluable opportunity for taxidermists at every experience level.

Here is the link to the ITA site with details on the show. http://www.iowataxidermyassociation.com/
For those who just like looking at quality taxidermy of all kinds of species, please come and check out the show. It is free to the public Saturday the 28th from 12-5pm and Sunday the 29th from 9am-noon. We expect a huge turnout of mounts because this is one of the last shows before the big world competition in May.

If you have any questions or concerns about this event please contact myself or Durk Sterner (Stuffy on IW)
Here is a quick rundown of the schedule.
Best Western
3303 S Center St.,
Marshalltown, Iowa 50158
2015 I.T.A. Show Schedule of Events
March 27 – March 29, 2015
Thursday, March 26, 2015
2:00 p.m. ......................... Set up competition room. VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!
5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. ...... Mounts accepted. Registration open. Suppliers may set up.
Friday, March 27, 2015
9:00 a.m. – 12 Noon ....... Suppliers set up in vendor’s room. Open for business 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. ...... Final call – register and check in mounts.***
10:00 a.m. - ?? ................ Meeting: ITA officers, board of directors, and Competition Committee.
1:00 p.m. ......................... Judging begins.
1:30 p.m – 3:30 p.m……..Seminar Clint Rickey - Make a pedestal mount out of a stock deer manikin
3:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m…….Seminar Dan Hudzik – Reptiles
5:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. ...... Welcome reception in banquet room, Marshalltown Visitor’s Convention Bureau. (Tentative)
6:30 p.m. -- ??? .............. Live auction, taxidermy supplies & cash bar. Donations needed!!!
After Live Auction………..Round table discussion “Tips & Tricks” Dan Fiala and Greg Cuvelier
Saturday, March 28, 2015
9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. ...... Competition room opens to show registrants when judging & ribbons completed.
9:00 a.m. – Noon ............ Vendor Room open for business.
10:00 a.m. – 12 Noon ..... Seminar Brian Olson – Mammal feet, tail and tendons manikin preparation
12 Noon – 5:00 p.m. ....... Competition Room opens to the general public. Free admission.
1:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. ...... Vendor Room open for business.
1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. ...... Seminar Brian Eppley – Hands on eye workshop, Mechanics of anatomy
2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. ...... Kids’ Seminar. Casting, painting and mounting a turtle or frog – prizes will be awarded.
3:15 p.m. – 5:15 p.m. ...... Seminar Mike Orthober – Bird reference study of anatomy, What, When, Where & Why
3:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. ...... Set up for Awards Banquet and Auction by officers, board of directors, show committee members, and other welcomed volunteers.
6:00 p.m. ......................... Open bar in banquet room.
7:00 p.m. ......................... Banquet dinner – buffet style.
8:00 p.m. - ??.................. Awards – Silent Auction – Fellowship. Donations needed for Silent Auction!
Sunday, March 29, 2015
8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. ...... Meeting: Officers, board of directors, and committee heads. Prepare for the ITA General Membership Business Meeting.
9:00 a.m. – 12 Noon ....... Competition Room open to the general public. Free admission.
9:00 a.m. – 12 Noon ....... Vendor Room open for business (shop early – some vendors leave Saturday night!)
9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. .... SeminarTim Perkins – Fish - epoxy finish work on shrinkage
12:00 p.m. ....................... Out-of-state entries released.
1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. ...... Annual business meeting for ITA General Membership in seminar room. Election of board members.
2:00 p.m. ......................... ITA member entries released.

Last edited:
Ive never been to one.. i should make it up there sometime. Sure I would see a bunch of familiar faces.

I try to go every year and check it out! I learned a lot the year I entered a head. I am thinking about entering the one I did this year, but I might be out west turkey hunting!

Most guys are thrilled with the mounts they get back each year. Come to this show and you will truly see the difference between a $350 mount and a $600 mount. There will be wt mounts from guys going for the world title. Unreal difference!

Thanks for the heads up, Brian. I plan on attending for the first time this year. Although I won't have my piece ready for this year, I do look forward to seeing everyone else's work, and catching a few seminars as well. Should be a good time.

Thanks for the heads up, Brian. I plan on attending for the first time this year. Although I won't have my piece ready for this year, I do look forward to seeing everyone else's work, and catching a few seminars as well. Should be a good time.

Make sure you find me so we can meet. You will learn so much

Dang sorry, it used to be the American inn now owned by Baymont suites. The took the slide out, that sucks! Still has indoor pool and hot tub

Hey Brian.. Im interested in going and bringing the wife. We can only make it Saturday. I would like to register to be able to go to some seminars Saturday but I see that it says ALL registrants must help clean up and tear down on Sunday. Is it possible to still go just Saturday? I wont be entering anything if that matters.

I see that it says ALL registrants must help clean up and tear down on Sunday. Is it possible to still go just Saturday? I wont be entering anything if that matters.

I'd like to know as well. Similar situation for me. I had planned on just Fri and Sat. I'd be more than happy to help out, I just didn't plan on staying through Sunday.

I'd like to know as well. Similar situation for me. I had planned on just Fri and Sat. I'd be more than happy to help out, I just didn't plan on staying through Sunday.

No problem guys, register and enjoy the seminars and learning. Don't worry about Sunday, it all gets taken care of in no time. I look forward to having you guys there, you'll be so glad you came.

The Clint Rickey and Bryan Eppley seminars are a must for whitetails. Clint will place in the top 3 in the world and hopefully win this year. I'm spending time with him after the comp circuit for open mouth deer learning.

And the Dan Hudzik reptile seminar will be awesome, I'll be there. I always wanted a turtle mount on my mantle, haven't told the wife yet..

Last edited:
Less than a week away. Come check it out and see some serious quality taxidermy. You might just find a new taxidermist in Iowa that does outstanding work for your next trophy.

Top Bottom