Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2018 Farm Bill

Was in to FSA office for farm reconstitution. I asked about CRP again. They said there has been little to no sign ups due to rates being so low. So, the conservation group lobbyist may have thought they were reaching a good compromise by raising the acre cap and spreading the money out, but so far this is looking like a loss for conservation. It will be interesting to see if any changes are made for the December sign up. They had ZERO details to offer about what December might look like.

... just passing along.

It is frustrating that the government and the conservation groups did that. I am all for reducing the budget, sure, but this is one darn successful program that both R & D should support. It has many benefits for wildlife, water, soil, erosion, butterflies, bees etc.... You have to compete with crop rent or it will be a limited sign up. Sad deal.

Anyone have any info on what the December signup is going entail?
They have not announced anything and everyone at FSA office says they dont know. I expect more of the same to be honest. 85% of county cash rent rate. Hope I'm wrong.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

There will be some major differences. Rental rates stating pretty much the same.
Seed limited to 50% cost share. Gonna need bills/receipts for everything. For continuous.....Signing incentives limted to 32 % of soil rental rates. Practice incentives are very very low....so low not even worth mentioning. It's not very friendly to landowners making money on crp any longer. Many new details to be worked out.

There will be some major differences. Rental rates stating pretty much the same.
Seed limited to 50% cost share. Gonna need bills/receipts for everything. For continuous.....Signing incentives limted to 32 % of soil rental rates. Practice incentives are very very low....so low not even worth mentioning. It's not very friendly to landowners making money on crp any longer. Many new details to be worked out.
Thanks. Sounds like a recipe for another round of low participation. Wish it was more competitive.

New CRP sign up coming in December or January. General rates might be slightly lower than Continuous CRP.

From Pheasants Forvever…

Historic CRP signup in sight.

Agriculture Department officials and some outside experts expect landowners to sign up for CRP in the largest numbers in at least a decade.

"FSA has yet to release the new rule for the program that is expected to detail the state acreage allocations, but they are required to be 60% of a state's historical enrollment. That will ensure that landowners are only bidding against other landowners in their own states, rather than against national competition," said Jim Inglis, director of governmental affairs for Pheasants Forever.

From Pheasants Forvever…

Historic CRP signup in sight.

Agriculture Department officials and some outside experts expect landowners to sign up for CRP in the largest numbers in at least a decade.

"FSA has yet to release the new rule for the program that is expected to detail the state acreage allocations, but they are required to be 60% of a state's historical enrollment. That will ensure that landowners are only bidding against other landowners in their own states, rather than against national competition," said Jim Inglis, director of governmental affairs for Pheasants Forever.
...historically low participation be my guess!

The Continuous CRP is also avaiable. I would recommend that you sign up for continuous if you qualify...
*Grass waterways, Filter strips, Riparian Buffer, habitat buffers for upland birds, windbreaks, shelterbelts, living snow fences, duck nesting habitat, farmable wetlands...are all options. You will be paid more per acre, and the cost share is slightly better. Not competing with other offers.

A practice that I am looking at is the habitat buffers for upland birds. I can go 120 feet around the edges of my timber, should amount to around 10-12 acres or more. Win-win in some cases, the crop on the edge of the timber never does well anyway, and it provides a nice buffer, and habitat corridor.

Did I miss the qualifications in the link? Last year was 4 out of last 6 years in row crop I think. Same?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Did I miss the qualifications in the link? Last year was 4 out of last 6 years in row crop I think. Same?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Correct. The years were updated. 2012 - 2017. 4 of 6 of those years. Should help a lot of folks out where erodible land was farmed after commodity spikes in 2013-ish. Can’t wait to see a lot of marginal and erodible acres turn to wildlife habitat & reduce erosion.

Anyone have an idea if there will be any crp information sessions? They usually do this for a lot of the farm programs, but haven't seen anything on CRP.

Hey guys.... those NASS surveys you probably get in the mail. Be sure to fill those out. My county the CRP rates are artificially low because they dont have accurate cash rent rates. So fill out the surveys!!! In the past I been not paying attention to them. I will going forward.

From the CRP fact sheet.

Going to be interesting to watch the numbers to see where demand really is with rates substantially reduced. More interesting to watch will be how USDA reacts if demand isn't there. I find this stuff really interesting.
fed079994c608b6743a3589f4c83370a.jpg

Demand will be there. I can assure you. Might not be in Iowa where the rates have been WAY too high. But I see the traffic through the door already. If USDA moves the cutoff down the list based on score the offered acres will be there to max acres out. IMO.

Top Bottom