Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2018 Rut report

sooner308

Usually by now someone has posted a thread with rut updates and what they are seeing.....so, what IS everybody seeing so far? Little over a week before vacation kicks in for 8 days, but may have to spend more quality time in the stand if things are picking up. Been doing short hunts so far with only two morning hunts and the rest being evening sits and have not seen anything indicating any rut activity yet in central Iowa other than one spike chasing a few does a week ago.

My 2 cell cams have not shown anything yet. I saw a couple key scrapes are being hit every other day as of last week and I had a bachelor group of 3 - 2.5 yo still hanging out together on Oct. 21.

I've been seeing bucks tending does and some slight antler play on camera. Nothing aggressive as of yet but they're definitely seeking more.

Just got my daily from my cellular cams and looks like all heck broke loose this morning. I had a buck fight about 6am this morning and a doe being pushed hard.

Oh...and our farmer/renter riding around on his 4-wheeler...

Week ago not much sign. Yesterday the rubs and scrapes have begun. One decent buck pre-sunrise on a trail cam. Wont be long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saturday morning i must have had an early doe in my area. I passed a 4 year old that chased her around the thicket for almost an hour and had 5 other bucks come through on her trail. Saturday night was good action as well. This weekend it better be rocking.

Got to the stand and set up by 5:45 this morning. I know was in rather early but with the moon so bright I thought it'd be good to see what was happening before first light. There was constant activity form 6-9:45. Nothing crazy but a couple little guys sparring, 3 decent(120-140") cruising and a hand full of does. I agree with IowaBowHunter1983 that Thursday/Friday the switch will flip!

Last night watched good 140+ make a circle around three does with his nose to the ground. On his feet and on a mission. Of course he passed less than 20 yards from one of my stands - I was not setting in. He then worked over a scrape all the while keeping the three does in his sight. I will be in that stand tomorrow evening :)

Seen 5 doe a basket 6 and a 140 class ten pt he snacked on some beans made a couple scrapes ate some sugar beet tops made a couple more scrapes right below me then slowly wandered off, he ate for 20 minutes

The rut seems to be in full swing... The squirrel rut that is.
This am was decent, 7+ does and couple dinker bucks. Got down at noon to swap cards from a cam nearby and I bumped a 130-140 class 8 and a doe that were bedded within 50 yds in some thick stuff. I was surrounded by a doe group for quite a while, so I'm guessing they snuck in while I was preoccupied with them. Pretty typical pre-rut morning.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I had a spiker and a two yr old 8 cruise by around 8. just one doe fawn after that. Got down around 10. Back at it this evening, starting to use my better stand locations so hoping a mature deer wants to check does tonight. Good luck to everyone as the rut starts to fire up in the next few days.

skunked on Halloween in one of my best stands. I don't get skunked in this spot very often. lots of standing corn still around this particular farm is probably not helping the hunting any

Think this week is pretty much a wash even tho it is historicaly a great week. Temps have been up. Pressure has been down. Look for next week to be much better Imo.

It's on in Winterset. Two 3 year olds chasing does. At least another couple hauling around behind me. Busy day on the woods

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last night was slow , but I've seen 5 different bucks so far this morning 4 doe no shooters yet but some nice up and comers , its getting good

Top Bottom