Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

30 grain load for youth muzzleloader?

boneil

Does anyone know if 30 grains of triple 7 pellets would be enough power to kill a deer inside 50 yards with a 50 cal muzzleloader? I am trying to reduce the recoil for them a little bit. They have been shooting a 50 grain off of a shooting sled, and it still has some kick. I saw that you can buy the pellets in 30 or 50 grain. Thanks for any input.

JMHO but I don't think it is. No offense, and as great as it is to start them early, if he can't handle the recoil from 50 grains, then maybe give him another year.

Many years ago I saw a deer a guy shot with 60 grains of FFG and a round ball at a little over 30 yards. I shot the deer as it came on down the creek and when we skinned it we found that round ball kind of laying against the shoulder blade. The ball looked like you could just load it up again. It didn't break the bone and didn't expand or flatten or deflect in any way, and I am sure that had I not shot it it would probably been ok in the matter of a couple of weeks. The wound didn't even bleed much. I would say that none of the bullets we currently use would have enough velocity or energy to be effective at all and would not expand or penetrate much.

Does anyone know if 30 grains of triple 7 pellets would be enough power to kill a deer inside 50 yards with a 50 cal muzzleloader? I am trying to reduce the recoil for them a little bit. They have been shooting a 50 grain off of a shooting sled, and it still has some kick. I saw that you can buy the pellets in 30 or 50 grain. Thanks for any input.

I would have him shooting well with a lesser caliber like a .22 (not sure if you are using a scope or open sights). If he knows how to aim steady then let him shoot the muzzle loader with 80grn for the first time when the deer is in the crosshairs. He won't feel the kick with the excitement of shooting at a real live deer.

It worked for my son when he was 8. He was a dead eye with the smaller calibers then killed his first deer with a .50 cal loaded with 100 grns of powder. Didn't feel a thing.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I would say that none of the bullets we currently use would have enough velocity or energy to be effective at all and would not expand or penetrate much.

Exactly, today's modern muzzleloader bullets are designed to perform best at high velocities.

I wouldn't shot at a whitetail with less than 50 grains and then only 20-30 yards distance. JMO

That's just what I have done. Owen (my son) shot his first deer at 5 with a 50 grain triple seven pellet and a 180 grain .45 Super XR Thompson ullet and sabot. He has never fired his muzzy at a target but does well with th BB gun and .22 with similar red dots and open sites. No need for him to develop a flinch from recoil that he doesn't notice when the adrenaline is pumping. That load combination was responsible for at least 4 youth deer i can remember last year with great results and bullet exspansion was excellent.

30 grain pellets are for pistols. even if it would produce enough power (it won't) i would think you wouldn't get consistant burn with all the room in the barrel around the pellet

I'm going to have my daughter start muzzleloading this year too.
As far as a bullet goes, I know the 'modern' bullets are made for higher powder charges, but does anyone have any recommendations for a bullet for a lighter (80 grains or so) charge?
Back before all this new fangled stuff came out, I shot plenty of deer with a round ball....thought about even trying that.

I'm going to have my daughter start muzzleloading this year too.
As far as a bullet goes, I know the 'modern' bullets are made for higher powder charges, but does anyone have any recommendations for a bullet for a lighter (80 grains or so) charge?
Back before all this new fangled stuff came out, I shot plenty of deer with a round ball....thought about even trying that.

My son shoots 80 grains pyrodex and a 240 grain Hornady XTP bullet from his CVA. The gun is light but recoil is mild with that load. It's put down a bunch of deer, none lost, in the 15 or so years he's been shooting that load.

My daughters both shoot Thompson G2 Contenders with a 45 caliber muzzleloader barrel. They use one 50 grain pellet and either a 180 grain Hornady XTP or 195 grain Barnes bullet. They have done well with this load, killing deer out to 75 yards. Don't shoot Powerbelts with a light powder load. The don't fit tight enough and sometimes don't make it out of the barrel.

I agree with the advice you are receiving, 30 grains is not enough. What I did with my boys was have them shoot a 40 or 50 grain load when target shooting and then unbeknownst to them I had the regular 90 grain load in when actually hunting. They never knew. :grin: Multiple deer were killed well with this approach.

Now if your son/daughter can't handle the regular load, I would have them wait another year. As eager as they may be to get out there, if they wound and then lose their first deer they may not get very much enjoyment from that.

Thanks for the advice guys...keep 'em comin'!

After a quick search on about 4 sites, I can't find anything in a 50 caliber under 200 grains. Where are you guys getting those bullets?

Edit: I now see that you're using 45 caliber for those, but do they make a 50 cal. under 200 grains?

After a quick search on about 4 sites, I can't find anything in a 50 caliber under 200 grains. Where are you guys getting those bullets?

Edit: I now see that you're using 45 caliber for those, but do they make a 50 cal. under 200 grains?

Are you talking grains of pwder(charge) or grains(weight) of the bullet?

My 90 grains was powder, the charge.

Try Dead Center Bullets. They offer a .357 cailber bullet in a sabot for 50 cailbers. They are under 200 grains.

Central Iowa said:
That's just what I have done. Owen (my son) shot his first deer at 5 with a 50 grain triple seven pellet and a 180 grain .45 Super XR Thompson ullet and sabot. He has never fired his muzzy at a target but does well with th BB gun and .22 with similar red dots and open sites. No need for him to develop a flinch from recoil that he doesn't notice when the adrenaline is pumping. That load combination was responsible for at least 4 youth deer i can remember last year with great results and bullet exspansion was excellent.

Last year he put a great shot with this same load in a large framed mature buck right on the shoulder. The deer lived in fact looks fine again this year. I blame myself he put a good shot on it for a gun. He now shoots 100 grains of powder and a heavier bullet. He never noticed he was 6 and around 50 pounds. I told hom we changed to a better bullet to keep his confidence up. I didnt plan for him getting a chance at a big bodied buck or what would happen with the lighter load. Plan for anyting. Good lesson for both of us. If they are shooting light loads keep the kill zone small and no shoulder right from the start.

Last edited:

Just a thought, and I haven't done this, but couldn't you use a 45 caliber bullet with the proper sabot in your 50? I know they make a whole lot of different sabots, you might be able to find one made for this. surely someone has thought of it before. That is if you are dead set on getting them hunting this year, personally I would probably wait until they could shoot a stronger load.

Top Bottom