Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

300 win mag

LoessHillsArcher

PMA Member
Looking to get a 300 win mag for some elk hunting and other big game hunts in the future. Anyone have one they’re looking to sell or have a model they recommend buying new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why u decide on .300 win mag? Unless u dial down to deer- maybe look at some others? Some amazing rounds out there. .300 still a darn good one though ;).

Love my Tikka 300 win mag. Would really like a Sako Hunter Stainless in that caliber

Why u decide on .300 win mag? Unless u dial down to deer- maybe look at some others? Some amazing rounds out there. .300 still a darn good one though ;).

You know how hard hitting a round it takes to knock down these IA moo cows. Gotta go big.

Honestly tho I’m looking for a moose hunt some day, and the long range capabilities of the 300 were awesome for knocking down elk. I have no interest in rifle hunting deer, only larger stuff so figured go big!

I gotta go other direction. ;). More power since its elk, moose & big stuff.... .300 wsm, .300 rum (I had that and it was awesome shooting gun - flat and tons of power). .338 Lapua be maybe one of top choices or one to look into. One of the .338’s (few other killer ones) that are sick power. Elk, deer, anything- I’d rather “kill em too dead and too much” as opposed to “pretty good”. Those animals are all tough as nails & any way to avoid the “lost one tracking” - I’d take anything I could get. I was totally comfy & loved .300 RUM but I’m sure there’s better rounds. Read ballistics on all of em & compare!!!
If u can’t decide- just go with .50 BMG & it’ll be a nice well rounded gun the whole family can enjoy. :)

The .300 Win Mag is a great caliber for all big game. If you watch all of these outdoor shows you see them shooting deer and watch them run off to die. That's because they are shooting smaller calibers. A .300 Winchester , Norma, Weatherby or Holland and Holland will put them down even with a marginal hit. My best advice is don't ask the opinion of anyone who doesn't own one, because all they are doing is guessing and have zero first hand knowledge. It's exactly like asking your broke brother-in-law for financial advice!

I shoot a .300 H&H. The guys I hunt with use .300 Win's and .300 Weatherby's. You can't go wrong with the right load. I use 180 gr Nosler Balistic Tips. Some of the others use 185 gr Burgers. If you use any of the .300's with the right load, you can kill anything on the planet, close range or long range. Oh and comparing a .300 to a 30-06 is like comparing Apples to Machine Guns. Not criticizing, just stating a fact. LOL.

I forgot to mention we all use Rem Model 700's with Custom Barrels.

I don’t recognize those other 300 calibers you listed off skip? I’ll have to check those out. The 30-06 just didn’t seem to have the long range capabilities compared to the 300. Thanks for the feed back fellas, appreciate it all!!

The .300 Win Mag is a great caliber for all big game. If you watch all of these outdoor shows you see them shooting deer and watch them run off to die. That's because they are shooting smaller calibers. A .300 Winchester , Norma, Weatherby or Holland and Holland will put them down even with a marginal hit. My best advice is don't ask the opinion of anyone who doesn't own one, because all they are doing is guessing and have zero first hand knowledge. It's exactly like asking your broke brother-in-law for financial advice!

I shoot a .300 H&H. The guys I hunt with use .300 Win's and .300 Weatherby's. You can't go wrong with the right load. I use 180 gr Nosler Balistic Tips. Some of the others use 185 gr Burgers. If you use any of the .300's with the right load, you can kill anything on the planet, close range or long range. Oh and comparing a .300 to a 30-06 is like comparing Apples to Machine Guns. Not criticizing, just stating a fact. LOL.

I forgot to mention we all use Rem Model 700's with Custom Barrels.
Lol... Owned one along with just about every other caliber of rifle. Also killed elk with .30-06 quite easily. So when I speak of capabilities.... Yeah wouldn't hesitate a bit with it. If ya wanna go bigger... Heck yeah.

For the record I plan to use my muzzleloader on any big hunts in the future... It has more energy than any of the above so I do get what there is to like.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
6.5 Creedmoor is becoming a popular round now also in the hunting world. Flatter shooting and less worry with wind drift and recoil then .300 and .308. I have never used one hunting, but have target shot with one and love it. .308 would be my next choice, but getting older I don't like getting beat up by the recoil. :(:(

I was in same boat and settled on a Tikka 7 rem mag. One thing ive learned is if you think your gonna be punching animals 500 yards, be prepared to be shooting hundreds of rounds. Everyone thinks 300 yards is a chip shot till they shoot paper. Ammo choices at that range also start effecting your groups. In hind sight I probably didnt need the magnum round, as my skills at shooting at 300 plus yards are not like I thought theyd be.

I was in same boat and settled on a Tikka 7 rem mag. One thing ive learned is if you think your gonna be punching animals 500 yards, be prepared to be shooting hundreds of rounds. Everyone thinks 300 yards is a chip shot till they shoot paper. Ammo choices at that range also start effecting your groups. In hind sight I probably didnt need the magnum round, as my skills at shooting at 300 plus yards are not like I thought theyd be.

Good point - my dad has a 7mm rem mag. I'll get that gun setup and start shooting it and see what I'm capable of first. I've been researching on bullets now and I really like the Barnes. I like them in my ML and never have had a chance to shoot them out of a rifle but their expansion and penetration seems top of the line. At long ranges they don't expand quite as well but penetrate deeper than lead core bullets.

Loesshills, I have taken one elk with the 7mm at a little over 300 yards and the barnes bullet performed fine. It left a hole on both sides but on several elk I shot in the hundred yard range they were found just under the hide on the opposite side of entry side. They did the job fine as well. All bullets I have recovered look just like the ones they post in their ads. I'm not an expert on ballistics or bullet performance but I was surprised that the close shots all had the bullet still in the body and on the far shot it was a complete pass through. All shots encountered rib bones or shoulder/vertebrae bones also. I've encountered the same bullet performance on deer as well, close shots, bullet on other side, far shots complete pass through. Don't understand it but the end result is the same.

Good luck on your western hunts.

I agree with both ways of thinking above or see both sides. I shot a .300 Remington ultra mag after shooting some others and comparing ballistics & results with hunting. That round was absolutely devastating. Agree that a .300 win will do in a lot & it’s also a big jump from 30-06. Ive got a .308 AR that can make a pretty tough load but it’s just not gonna pummel animals like others above. Could kill anything with it hit right but I’d never want to use it for a shot that didn’t go perfect.
In my mind, it’s kinda like comparing a 70 lbs bow with nice heavy arrows to a 50 lbs bow with medium weight arrows. Both will kill a deer just fine.... when things don’t go quite as planned - if u are comfy shooting 70 lbs- be thankful u did. Just my 2 cents and I know there’s a million opinions on this. & ya, .300 win is a great round. ;).

You absolutely can't go wrong with a .300WM for elk and moose, as well as deer. 300RUMs are great, but a 300WM will do it all the same. The 300WSM doesn't offer any more power over the 300WM, it only offers a weight savings since its a short action. The 338Lapua is way more than necessary and you're going to send about $5 down range every time you pull the trigger. Ammo isn't cheap for those. Here is a comment I put in a recent inquiry about an "all-around western rifle". I have a 300WM and a 30-06. Both are great elk guns and can take an elk out to 500. The 300WM offers better performance beyond that. As for deer running off and dying, that's more the norm than those "DRT" shows. I've even helped pack out elk that were killed with a .243. If you're ever worried about recoil, spend the money on a muzzle brake and never look back. Just carry a lightweight set of hearing protection.

From a previous post:
"Several great options have been mentioned above. You can't go wrong with 300wm, 30-06, or 7mmRM. Bullet choice should definitely be a factor and all have great bullet choices for all species (165gr-190gr). If you're going to hand load, then ammo availability isn't a factor. There are also other great choices, including the 270, 270wsm, 300wsm, 280AI (working on a build), and 28 Nosler. You can go to a western hunting forum, ask this question, and get 25 different answers. In any case, I recommend a lighter trigger and a muzzle brake for whatever you choose. A good set of lightweight ear plugs can easily mitigate the increased noise of a brake. All of my new rifles get a brake, regardless of what they're chambered for.

To the 6.5 CM: it will work perfectly on elk to beyond 200 yards. Plenty of elk have dropped from one shot from a 6.5CM from 400+ yards, but those are hunters who are practicing regularly. As with any hunting situation, practice is key, especially at ranges you think you'll be shooting. My one and only beef with the 6.5CM (and why I'll never own one) is that it is a bandwagon cartridge. Don't get me wrong, its a great cartridge, but so many folks out here have them (we call them the Creedmoor Army) and they are very in your face about how its the best cartridge ever and you're stupid if you don't have one. Admittedly, my anti-establishment personality plays into that. No, I won't jump off a bridge if all my friends are doing it and that's how I see the 6.5CM.

Elk are extremely tough and getting them to drop in their tracks is not the norm. My daughter had to shoot her bull three times to get it to fall and all three shots were on the money. bwese is right. If its still standing, shoot until its not standing. My daughter shoots a 7mm-08, which is a great short-range (400 yds and under) elk rifle. As for brands, I wouldn't hesitate to look at Savage. They have surpassed most other for out-of-the-box accuracy for a budget-minded rifle. I was a diehard Remington guy until it was time to buy my kids their rifles. At the same time, Tikka, Bergara, and Winchester are all hard to beat. Remington is finally coming back around to the quality 700s they were known for up until about 10 years ago."

Well fellas, I took the wife and kid to Des Moines this weekend to see some
friends and we had to stop by Scheels on the way home. They had a used but like new Browning X bolt Hell’s Canyon LR 300 win mag. Now to find a scope! I appreciate everyone’s feedback. Those Tikkas felt great but this gun was the same price and felt awesome.

423b9bb13ab66a892791bdb7f91e4f26.jpg

4272adfe2b92e6a9bd71661f9140c9b9.jpg

29ecc4cfe33a707d6fc02f17812923f0.jpg

Top Bottom