Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

3rd Season Bird

MuzzHunter

On a 20ft High
I finally have some time to post my bird from third season since I'm not buried in a book anymore studying for finals.

Well over easter weekend I decided that since I would be heading back home that weekend that I'd get a tag
and try to kill a bird in two days of hunting. Go home friday night went to Wal-mart at 7pm and made my plans
for the morning. I picked out a spot that had winter wheat planted in it, knowing that it had alot of birds in the area
due to shed hunting it two months prior.

My morning started out pretty slow, I had only heard two or three birds from the roost, but I was sort of expecting
that since it had rained all day friday. After sitting there for about an hour, I looked to my right and seen a hen,
she come walking into 40 yds and I noticed she had about a 6in. beard and 4 more hens followed out into the field
behind her. About the time they got past me a gobbler fired up to my right about 200 yds away. I worked on him for
awhile but he would never crest to the top side of this slight hill in the field to see my dekes. A half hour goes
by and it finally sounds like the bird is closing ground.

Just as he starts to close the distance, 3 bucks decide to walk across the field between my dekes and the gobbler,
well they spooked off my decoys and ran back to where the bird was. I thought for sure this hunt was over. I sat
there a few more minutes and began to watch another buck come from the same area the other ones had come
from. As he was about half way across the field, I happend to catch movement farther to my right, so I turned
my head and all I seen was a bright red head and black blob.

The gobbler finally spotted my strutter and was committed, the only problem was the buck was walking right
towards me and I knew he was going to see me sitting against the tree, sure enough he gets about 10 yds from
and spots me sitting there and the gobbler still had to go a few yards before I could shoot. Well the deer spooked
off of me and I was getting ready to have to snap shoot but to my suprise the deer never even phase the bird, he just
stayed half strut on a B-line towards the dekes. When he got to the strutter he dropped into full strut and turned
sideways against my strutter and began to go around the back side of it. As he made his way back around and he
cleared my decoy, I let the 870 bark and at a long distance of 19 yds he couldnt take the HEVI-SHOT. Definately one
of my best hunts using a decoy to date.

He was a decent bird, 22.5 lbs, 1" and 1 1/16" inch spurs and a 11 inch beard.
picture.php

Pics after the shot
picture.php

picture.php

Top Bottom