Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

55 yo beginner from Blackhawk county.

XbowSteve

Hello all! Im 55 now and have decided to get into deer hunting next season. I have been a pheasant guy for years, but ready to try my hand with a crossbow. My Dr. has signed my application.

First off, do I need a permit to purchase to buy one? Im waiting til season is completely over to get a good price.

2nd, does anyone hunt with a recurve xbow anymore or is everyone caught up in the compound "fps mania" ???!!!!

Look forward to all your responses.

First off, do I need a permit to purchase to buy one?

You do not.

For your second question, no idea but it's my guess that it depends on what a guy can afford. I think some crossbows are pushing the $3,000 range. A $500 model that's slower will still kill.

Yes, you can put up trail cameras on public. Consider cable locks as they can disappear.

Yes, you can put up trail cameras on public. Consider cable locks as they can disappear.

Yes Im sure. Too bad there isnt a bit more honor among hunters these days.

How about ground blinds...same story?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No permit needed to buy a crossbow - anyone can purchase at any time.
Some buy just to target shoot, some to use as alternate weapon in late muzzleloader season, and some to hunt in archery season (with the proper DNR permit)

There are some very good recurve style crossbows out there that compete head to head with the compound models - Look at Excalibur crossbows.
There are also some real junk in the crossbow market - i've had some brought into the shop that couldn't shoot a 10" pattern at 10 yards

I have looked at Excalibur crossbows...not very long after seeing the price though. Im on a tight budget.

What would you recommend as a starter crossbow, powerful enough to hunt with, under $200? Or do you think there are any in that price range?

Crossbows have a high failure rate - i fix way more crossbows than i sell because most boxstores refuse to work on them so they send them to me.
Although i am sure there are some that fit what you want, i have yet to find a GOOD crossbow in that pricerange that i would feel confident to sell in the shop

Hey Steve, if you be patient and look around you can find some deals on serviceable Xbox’s. My dad picked one up this year for I think 250$ all set up that has accuracy or money back guarantee shooting 415 FPS or something. Seems pretty accurate so far. Check local pawn shops for the better named bows, might find one cheap. Knew one guy that hunted with a old wood recurve x bow that did just fine but he limited his range to 20yds.

I would not recommend leaving anything out on public ground you are not willing to lose or see busted up. You can take some army camo netting and make a makeshift blind with dead logs or brush laying around. With a crossbow you don’t need to move much so no need for big commercial blind really.

Welcome to the deer hunting world, don’t get caught up in big antler hype and just enjoy it and the great table fare!

Thanks Bill
I agree with the idea of camo netting and building a "natural" blind. I would love to be able to set it up so I can shoot from inside/underneath without having the end of the bow stick out.
I am going to keep my eyes open locally here for a good deal on a used crossbow, now that the season is winding down.
I actually am looking out my picture window at the public ground I would like to hunt. I dont think it gets much pressure. Hell, if I get permission, I can walk across the field and be there. I also have plenty of room at home to sight it in and practice. Even have a 20yd long shed I can use if its bad weather. That reminds me of another question...do I need a bonafide crossbow target, or can I use normal archery/bow targets?

You familiar with Hickory Hills Park? Back in the day, knew some guys whose family owned ground bordering it and they had pretty good luck.

Got married in the lodge there actually. Is there public ground for hunting there too? I know they have some animals there in fenced in areas. Prob no hunting.

Got married in the lodge there actually. Is there public ground for hunting there too? I know they have some animals there in fenced in areas. Prob no hunting.

The website for the park claims public hunting. There were links to maps, also.

I have looked at Excalibur crossbows...not very long after seeing the price though. Im on a tight budget.

What would you recommend as a starter crossbow, powerful enough to hunt with, under $200? Or do you think there are any in that price range?

Too bad we're not closer to each other. We have a crossbow all set up that belonged to my dad. Nobody has any need for it here anymore.

What is it?

It's a Barnett. I know little about crossbows, this one is definitely not top of the line but it does shoot well. It was bought new in 2016 and hunted with for 2 years. If you're interested , I'd have to check with my brother first about selling it.

Top Bottom