Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A couple Rathbun eyes

Dbl.throat_patch

dbl.throat_patch
Spent last thur, fri, sat, down at Rathbun. The crappie fishing was horrible. We really struggled to find any. But I always have a backup plan. We decided to go for some eyes. picked up 6 on thursday, 4 on friday and 9 on satuday. Here is a pick of a couple of the bigger ones.
0113.JPG

Tough to put those fish back. Good eaters, although a little on the large side. Got length or weight #'s on 'em? They look like great fish, good job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: -DannyBoy-</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good eaters, although a little on the large side. </div></div>

I cannot agree with that statement. The fillets from those fish would be way to thick, Ive made that mistake before. I like to practice catch and release so that other anglers will have a chance at those fish too. DTP never did say if they were filleted or released.

Nice fish DTP, putting fish like that in the boat right now in an Iowa lake is a tough task, congrats!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Typical250</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great pair,they would have been outstanding next year.... Think Catch and release on those old girls. </div></div>

+1 /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Nice fish though!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cannot agree with that statement. The fillets from those fish would be way to thick, Ive made that mistake before. </div></div>

Take smaller bites....never had a walleye I didn't like. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Thanks guys. I understand your concern around catch and release. These two are right on the boarder line for me. I wieghed them with my rapala scale. (not sure how accurate it is) one was 4.2 lbs and the other was 5.7 lbs. My guess on length is 26 for the big one and 24 for the other. They are nice walleyes but not really to big, the pic makes them look bigger. Normally I would release them. My partner caught the bigger one and it was his biggest to date so it was hard to convince him to throw it back. As for me it was a moment of weakness.

With the stocking efforts going into Rathbun. That lake is really turning into one heck of a walleye lake. I caught and released many walleyes in the last three years in the 7 to 10 lbs range. Every now and then you gotta let yourself enjoy the pure taste of em. I do have a weaknes for the loins that run along their back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbl.throat patch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Every now and then you gotta let yourself enjoy the pure taste of em. I do have a weakness for the loins that run along their back. </div></div>

Nothing wrong with keepin a few! They stock the heck out of them things purposefully so that the system can handle some harvest! Good eatin' and nice work!!!

Snort....
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
White Carp, they call them....
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Nice fish Kory. Guy can get some cheek meat out of those... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Thomas, just cause you can't catch em don't be knockin em... They are pure gold!

I have had that cheek meat before, pretty good stuff!!

Said i dont care to catch 'em.....
never said i didnt know how.....
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

004_2_2_.JPG

016_14_2_1.JPG

sorry to hyjack your thread DTP.
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Practice, Practice, practice...... this guy broke 10 last year.... I'll see him again.... the stringer fish are the eaters!!:)

img001-1.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Fish.jpg

Nice. Gotta love those Rathbun walleyes, and it's still two weeks from the best bite. Rathbun is largely dependdant on stocking not natural reproduction.

Those of you who think that big walleyes aren't good to eat have never tasted a 10-pounder on the grill. Yum.

Top Bottom