Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A little concerned.....

Bowman D

After doing a little research on a property for sale, I started looking at who owns a little further out from me. I have known the trend of the little guy ie. small family farm units of a couple hundred acres being bought out by the big time farmers. I think we all have been seeing this. What I was not ready to see was just how big some of these adjoining properties are getting....and just who is buying them. I am amazed at how much land is being locked up by Doctors, Lawyers, even large clothing store owners, etc.. I fear for our next generation of deer hunters, mushroom hunters, outdoor people in general. My county especially, being located not far from Davenport/Bettendorf is especially concerning. It kinda reminds me of why our ancestors came to this continent, land and businesses being largely owned by a very select few and very little opportunity. Sorry to rant but seeing some guys (that do not live in the area) owning a thousand or more continuous acres of prime hunting land simply as a vehicle to pay less taxes is concerning..Any one else seeing this???

Not sure that capitalism had anything to do with why our ancestors came to this country, other than perhaps as an attraction to the American way of life. It certainly wasn’t the force that drove them away from wherever they came from!

As a vehicle to pay less taxes.....Not sure how that works.
Ya- some things in your statement I do understand. I assure you- paying less taxes is NOT one of them. Even if they write things off & in high tax bracket.... they are paying taxes on income from farm AND..... if we are talking 1,000 acres in eastern Iowa - there’s pretty much no less than $10,000 paid each year in property taxes alone - that’s if there’s no buildings.

The big picture - buying up of the land. This is concerning and I hear you. This is nothing new and I don’t know what a solution is. Do I blame the guys who have the ability and desire to do it??? NO. Do I blame people for being discouraged for accesss???? NO. I’ve been on both sides of this fence.

Deep down, here’s my gut opinion - right, wrong or indifferent on why a lot of this is going on....
1) I think a lot of guys see the madness with the regulations/weapons/seasons, more hunting pressure, more guys packed in woods and more guys wanting to sit on the fence of someone who manages (where it never happened before or when folks didn’t know a guys managed). Finding managed farms is getting harder and harder to find. Places where good genetic bucks aren’t killed as youngsters, balanced deer herd, habitat stuff, etc.

2) economy is strong “hunting land” is, in a sense, a “luxury item” (well, say a slice of timber. Yes, a bigger mixed farm does offer other benefits). Yes, it’s also an incredible investment but when the economy tanks- it’ll be the 1st to tank with it. U don’t “need” it to the degree u need food & shelter. It will slow just like: boat sales, furniture, remodeling, a new car. Nothing wrong with any of these but this trend will reverse if & when our economy has a set back. Or interest rates sky rocket.

3) Iowa is 5-6% timber. So little of it left- folks want to buy the “little” available that truly is good.

4) inevstement (isn’t worth $0 like some stocks or bankrupt companies have done and are just a piece of PAPER). Always grow food, Hunt, fish, live, survive on land. Always be worth something. If crap hits fan- see how far ur pieces of paper in stock get you or your bag of gold coins. I’d rather have land I can walk on and feed my family. Interest rates are low too.

This will run in cycles. I had no where to go or hunt. Public. I saved since I was about 14 for land. A little part of me feels “guilty“ for owning land. But- I share it and it’s going to my kids (& do all I can to raise them to appreciate it and be thankful & carry on legacy).
Life ain’t fair. This is another example. I get it, I really do. If u have any way of saving, working or doing anything to buy a 20, 40, 80- do it. You won’t regret it. It does run cycles so don’t ever let anyone tell u “ur too late- it’s all gone or it’s all a gazillion dollars an acre”. Never too late but never too soon to plan and try to do something. I been there & get where u coming from.

Sligh, thank you for your thoughts. I think what bothers me the most is that some of these guys have absolutely no interest in the land or connection with it. I don't know all the loopholes. I've been told the 1031 exchange allows them to invest in farmland, let it accrue value over time and it can be sold for other ivestments, ie.commercial real estate, other income producing land such as multiplexes, etc... without paying capital gains. I don't blame them for being successful, but I can see this pattern and I find it disheartening.

Not sure that capitalism had anything to do with why our ancestors came to this country, other than perhaps as an attraction to the American way of life. It certainly wasn’t the force that drove them away from wherever they came from!
The American way of life was not created then!! They came Because they had no opportunity (everything is locked up by a select few) and religious freedom. It was MOST CERTAINLY the force that drove them away. They had no opportunity.... so they came to “the land of opportunity” as I stated above!

The American way of life was not created then!! They came Because they had no opportunity (everything is locked up by a select few) and religious freedom. It was MOST CERTAINLY the force that drove them away. They had no opportunity.... so they came to “the land of opportunity” as I stated above!
so then lets bitch and moan that people used the American way of life to become successful enough to buy a large tract of land.. what a bunch of bull butter. opportunities will always be there for those that want to use the outdoors

You have to decide if owning land is a priority.

I had a friend that I sold a property a few years back. It was 11 acres of timber, good spot, but it also had a nice neighbor that allowed him to hunt his 40.

He had one trespassing incident. He went ballistic and decided to sell his parcel at $10,000 profit.

He said the $300/month payment on the 11 acres...was "killing" him. Yet he spends more than that on Busch Light every month.

The last time I was out, he talked for one hour about how his hunting spot (hunts on friends now) is complete joke. I'm thinking "well you had a good spot"??

I guess the moral of the story is. Do what you can to buy something, maybe lease??

Otherwise to be honest, public in Iowa is pretty good compared to other states.

Last edited:
Ok. Serious question....what’s bull butter?!......haha. I made the choice to buy land back in my 20’s. I agree with what Hardwood has said and I appreciate the rational dialogue. I’m more concerned about access for future generations than myself. I agree that public in Iowa is better than a lot of other states, but the problem is theirs only a very small amount of it. I don’t blame anyone for being successful. Im just a little worried about this trend in Iowa.

Last edited:
  • Deleted by Wapsi Tree Rat
Show…
You have to decide if owning land is a priority.

I had a friend that I sold a property a few years back. It was 11 acres of timber, good spot, but it also had a nice neighbor that allowed him to hunt his 40.

He had one trespassing incident. He went ballistic and decided to sell his parcel at $10,000 profit.

He said the $300/month payment on the 11 acres...was "killing" him. Yet he spends more than that on Busch Light every month.

The last time I was out, he talked for one hour about how his hunting spot (hunts on friends now) is complete joke. I'm thinking "well you had a good spot"??

I guess the moral of the story is. Do what you can to buy something, maybe lease??

Otherwise to be honest, public in Iowa is pretty good compared to other states.

Damn! $300 buys a lot of Busch Light!

Ok. Serious question....what’s bull butter?!......haha. I made the choice to buy land back in my 20’s. I agree with what Hardwood has said and I appreciate the rational dialogue. I’m more concerned about access for future generations than myself. I agree that public in Iowa is better than a lot of other states, but the problem is theirs only a very small amount of it. I don’t blame anyone for being successful. Im just a little worried about this trend in Iowa.
I'm pretty sure almost all of us are worried about what the future brings. I know I have been for the last 10-15yrs. I made the decision to save what I could as well as take a loan out of my 401k. I now own a 100+ acre farm. My wife didn't understand at the time but now gets it. My youngest is 9 yrs old, he loves going to the farm! So I guess with that being said, I believe the trend is gonna continue, for those with the money and want to make a strong investment.........why wouldn't they buy land? Same ? Goes for those who are worried about where their kids and or grandkids are gonna hunt. I wish that there was more land (rec ground) here in the state of iowa but that' not the case. It sure makes alot of sense tho why some people feel so strong and support the way things are in our state. It is a limited resource and could be gone quick

So replying to the original post what do you expect to happen. Them to not sell their farms and just keep em or sell it to a bidder in the middle of the pack so the big guys don't ahold of it. I don't get the point of this post.

I think those trends will continue mainly in the high quality 70 plus CSR type acres. There was an auction recently on about 144 acres of high quality tillable high bid was 12,800 an acre. Bought by an out of the area Ag investor. Also have have attended 2 separate auctions on great hunting farms that both had very nice homes and still only brought 2500 or less an acre and we’re good options for beginning landowners.
Point to my post is the high value tillable is going to continue to be unattainable to all but the wealthiest but options will always exist for those looking to get there foot in the door. The above auction occurred in Appanoose 12800,Lucas and Monroe county’s

I think those trends will continue mainly in the high quality 70 plus CSR type acres. There was an auction recently on about 144 acres of high quality tillable high bid was 12,800 an acre. Bought by an out of the area Ag investor. Also have have attended 2 separate auctions on great hunting farms that both had very nice homes and still only brought 2500 or less an acre and we’re good options for beginning landowners.
Point to my post is the high value tillable is going to continue to be unattainable to all but the wealthiest but options will always exist for those looking to get there foot in the door. The above auction occurred in Appanoose 12800,Lucas and Monroe county’s

What is funny about these better CSR farms is the money spent just isn't apples to apples. Seems to be highly geographically dependent. Even the good CSR ground in southern Iowa is a fraction of the cost of what the same farm in northern Iowa would be

Read the above quoted post a little closer the 144 acres in Appanoose county brought 12,800 an acre.

144 acres...$12,800/acre??
That sounds more like the black dirt in the middle of central Iowa! Can' believe that an Appanoose county farm would bring that kind of $. If that's the case I like my investment of buying land even more!

Top Bottom