Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A sad question

huntdoc

My brother is getting divorced. Her latest demand is that all of his hunting gear, guns, bow, deer head, all of it get appraised. It is becoming quite clear she really doesn't want the kids unless they come with $$$ and now she is looking for other places to get him. The kicker is most of the hunting equipment is mine, he hasn't had any money for years. The bow is mine and he uses it. Only gun that is his is an old Mossberg 12g that doesn't always work. The deer is a 13 point P&Y non-typ in the high 150's so nothing special to a collector but great sentimental value to him. He says he'll break the horns off before she gets the deer.

My suggestion is with the exception of the deer, give her the gun and even the bow, minus the accessories, before any cash. It is an old Mathews Q2 and I'll upgrade for him before he has to pay her. Is the deer truly worth $$$? Sad situation.

Thanks for any advice. Good news is she can't take away memories, and the kids LOVE to go hunt with us.

If alot of the equipment is yours I cannot see how she can have any of it. If I were him, I'd be selling the mount to as friend (or brother) for a documented amount and she could be free to have half of the $100. When the smoke clears "buy" it back.

If alot of the equipment is yours I cannot see how she can have any of it. If I were him, I'd be selling the mount to as friend (or brother) for a documented amount and she could be free to have half of the $100. When the smoke clears "buy" it back.

$100? More like $2. Then split it. haha

Divorce is a very very ugly thing that usually results in the man getting the very short end of the stick no matter what the circumstances were to end the marriage.

If all of these things are yours and in no way in his name simply take them back from him and let him "borrow them" again when all of this is over. If they are registered in your name, they are technically still yours. Hope all goes as well as possible for him.

cheaper to start over . lawyer get`s 250 plus an hour, both lawyers add up quick. my ex got the house and everything in it. And I got the kid`s the only thing in the house the judge let me keep was my tool`s .seem`s my lawyer was worried i couldnt work with out them. you can always get material items, but kid`s are Gods gift.

Seems to me that if they are yours they are yours to take them back but he may want to check with his lawyer first before you cart them off. Let them appraise the deer. Whats it going to bring, Not much... Couple hunderd? Pay the 1/2 of it and never look back. Its a whole lot easier to pay her and start over.

i agree the stuff is your than take it back, as far as the deer mount what did the price of the licence cost....give her that....you cant value a deer head, heck i wouldnt take 100,000 for mine and there isnt any that are 150...

agree.gif

If you sell the "deer" head and show that you put the money towards paying off combined debt, than she cant get any of the money for it and the deer head will be "gone". If she wants to get real ugly about things start having every article of clothing, pampered chef, hair dryer, bottle of lotion, shoes, etc. etc. appraised. Once she has to start giving you have of that stuff she might realize things.

Pretty ugly deal, my brother just went through it as well. He ended up with the house and belongings minus a few pieces of furniture but it cost him big time. He luckily got to keep the kids as well.

It shouldn't take much lawyer time at all to settle that issue. Document what is "his" that was acquired during the marriage. Value it and give her half. Put a value on it that you'd be just as happy giving it away and taking her cash half. Expensive but worth it.

just a sad situation. I have a friend going through the similar situation. I guess there is case law regarding hunting equip. etc. Specifically, mounts are considered trophy's of a personal value that are not to be appraised and considered in divorce proceedings. My friend has over 20 mounts from different big game. No matter what he spent on them, or what they could be worth, the judge ruled that he got to keep them and no value assessed on them.

Bad deal for sure...

The kids are the most important thing to focus on for sure. They can't take away your love for your kids.

Just remember, what her lawyer doesn't know won't hurt him.

I'm been single and happy for 8 years now..... :grin:

Top Bottom