Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Accura V2 on the work bench

A member here forum sent me his V2 to work on after seeing the last one in the videos. This one was nasty! Not sure what grease it was coated in, but I wouldn't use that stuff again Robert!

Cleaned it all off the barrel and insides, Breech plug cleaned inside and out, Coated the barrel with RIG + P for rust protection, frame was stripped and blown out clean, re-oiled, firing pin bushing was corrected and shimmed out for .005" primer crush fit. After a few hours i used some dry graphite and dribbled it down into the inners where the hammer and sear meet up. Bore got 75 strokes of JB Bore Paste.

Cleaned all the grease off the scope mounts and followed up with Blue Loctite on the mount screws and snugged them down onto barrel and then mounted the Bushnell Trophy XLT.

I seriously have a solid 3 1/2 hours into the rifle after all the cleaning & mounting the scope.

Now the only thing to do is get some charges loaded up for tomorrow and sight in the scope and then see if I can get Roberts 250gr Barnes TMZ's to fly straight and tight.
DSCN4928.jpg

DSCN4929.jpg

Great job. I got my headspace adjusted yesterday by the orginal method until I get my shims. It worked like a charm.

I took the rifle to the range and started with 120 grns of BH209 and 250 Gr TMZ. I could not get it to group. There were constant 5-6 inch fliers. I also notice the primers were bulging back out after the shot showing signs of pressure. The reason I started with this load was a recommendation from another v2 shooter that had success with it. Well my v2 did not like it.

I went down to 100 gr of powder and same bullet. The gun really liked that load. I had 1 inch groups right where I wanted them in no time. The primers also looked better after the shot.

I guess it just goes to show that every gun (even the same brand) are different.

Thanks for the head space directions. It cut down on the cleaning by a long ways.

Great job. I got my headspace adjusted yesterday by the orginal method until I get my shims. It worked like a charm.

I took the rifle to the range and started with 120 grns of BH209 and 250 Gr TMZ. I could not get it to group. There were constant 5-6 inch fliers. I also notice the primers were bulging back out after the shot showing signs of pressure. The reason I started with this load was a recommendation from another v2 shooter that had success with it. Well my v2 did not like it.

I went down to 100 gr of powder and same bullet. The gun really liked that load. I had 1 inch groups right where I wanted them in no time. The primers also looked better after the shot.

I guess it just goes to show that every gun (even the same brand) are different.

Thanks for the head space directions. It cut down on the cleaning by a long ways.

Thats great to hear!

Just a warning guys but anytime you adjust the headspace, make sure you only use the primers you originally adjusted for! Some primers are longer " Winchester for example" and if you adjusted with cci "short" primers and then switch over to the winchesters " longest available" you could set the gun off while snapping the action shut.

So keep it SAFE and simple. You use what ever primer you adjusted for PERIOD! If you swap primers, take the time to readjust the headspace for that brand of primer.

Check your load pressure. Switching sabots may likely cure this. Accuracy with the larger charge...

Check your load pressure. Switching sabots may likely cure this. Accuracy with the larger charge...

This was a new gun first time out so there was no prior load to compare to. Just the sabot would make a difference or the sabot and the bullet weight?

Either way I am happy with my 100 powder/250 bullet combo.

I got Roberts V2 shooting perfect with 110gr BH209. The only draw back is the yellow sabot, its just way to tight. I have to figure out which company makes the other sabot for the boattail barnes. Gun shoots rock solid though!

110gr BH209, 250gr Barnes TMZ " Yellow sabot is WAY to tight" CCI 209M Primers at both 100 and 150 yards. 150yard group got 5 minutes between shots. 24 shots fired today and no blow by. Breech plug stays clean and no anti seize is needed as usual.

50 yards,
DSCN4935.jpg

2 shots at 100 yards. After those 2 shots i made 2 clicks down and to clicks to the right and then moved back to 150 yards.
DSCN4951.jpg

150 yards with 100gr BH209
DSCN4953.jpg

150 yards with 110gr BH209 and 5 minute cool down between shots.
DSCN4959.jpg

DSCN4962.jpg

DSCN4955.jpg

DSCN4957.jpg

DSCN4961.jpg

DSCN4948.jpg

DSCN4946.jpg

Check out barnes, harvester, and mmp websites.

I believe mmp has designed a newer sabot for the .451 barnes boattails.

So many options and combinations to work with, it'll provide many fun days of shooting!

Well I'm the owner of the gun in the above pictures.

I got the gun back last week and was able to shoot it this afternoon. I want to say that I am very pleased in the results. I did some minor tweaking but overall I'm more than pleased with the gun. :way: :way:

If you don't feel comfortable in doing some of the things that were done to my gun I highly recommend Jonathan to do the work. <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shape style="WIDTH: 18.75pt; HEIGHT: 13.5pt; VISIBILITY: visible; mso-wrap-style: square" id=Picture_x0020_1 type="#_x0000_t75" alt="0" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"><v:imagedata src="file:///C:\Users\Robert\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.gif" o:title="0"></v:imagedata></v:shape>

Can you make the same adjustment on m/l's other than Accuras. I would be interested in doing some "customizing" to my laminate/stainless omega... though its already shooting moa groups :)

The Omega really doesnt need any upgrades but all guns could use a real good cleaning and re-oiling job. Free floating, budding the lug, stuff like that can always be done.

Thats great to hear!

Just a warning guys but anytime you adjust the headspace, make sure you only use the primers you originally adjusted for! Some primers are longer " Winchester for example" and if you adjusted with cci "short" primers and then switch over to the winchesters " longest available" you could set the gun off while snapping the action shut.

So keep it SAFE and simple. You use what ever primer you adjusted for PERIOD! If you swap primers, take the time to readjust the headspace for that brand of primer.

This Member does NOT promote or support ANY advice from Other Members on gun modification.

Anyone who takes and uses advice, that members offers, either to alter or supposedly improve on,
the functionality of a weapon, could be putting themselves in harms way possibly even costing them their own lives.

MY ADVISE, ALWAYS contact the company that manufactured the weapon,
not some yahoo on the internet that thinks he knows what he's doing.

Good Luck and Happy Safe Hunting Always. Not a fan of hillbillie gunsmithing. I hope moderators on here do not support this kind of hillbillie gunsmithing. This issue was taken up on another fourm for this very reason Mods plz see link. It ended in a banned account. http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/muzzleloader-hunting/10319-cva-headspace-shims.html

Again, keep it civil Midwestprowler and FrontierGander, the back and forth petty stuff won't be tolerated.

I will not modify my post I see no reason to or any indication that I made a personal attack on you or your character Frontiergander. If the moderators choose to remove it so be it. The forum moderators may choose to endorse such modifications to a firearm due to not posting a disclaimer I'm lead to believe this from a response I received from a moderator in private message however I as a member will not & the disclaimer I posted shows that. I refuse to possibly be held liable. When was the last time you seen a manual that come with a firearm that did not state this in it ? The maker of this firearm will not be held responsible or held liable for any damage or injury - loss of life caused by modification misuse or so on by the user. Well I wonder who would be held responsible. The information giver? the site that has no disclaimer that would lead one to prove with ease they endorse such a practice? The user that did the modification for his own actions? I think the user who got injured would be looking to sue someone or everyone involved but not the maker of the firearm by law they cant. just my .02 cents I'll prolly get banned for this but I just ask that moderators take a more serious look at it. I care about others safety & would think of it a shame if a youth or adult hunter try to modify a firearm with advice obtained from here & it ended in loss of life or injury. I would not want that on my head or to be pulled into a courtroom over it.

I don't think its anyone's concern other than the user of that firearm to worry about if they should or shouldn't modify it to their liking. If someone is careless enough to make mods to any gun without researching the topic first than they are just looking to have issues. I don't know frontiergander from adam and I would not send my gun to him without learning more about him and what he does and how he got the knowledge that he has. I would be a moron to send him a gun without first looking into those things. Maybe I shouldn't search online forums to learn how to fix my trucks brake line either.....I might find bad info from a hillbilly mechanic and my brakes would go out and I get in a wreck. If that happened, its MY fault, not yours. Just my two cents.

Well I guess I'm the moron :moon: because I sent him my Accura V2 in the pics without knowing him and I'm very happy with the results. We exchanged a few PM's and that was all I needed.

Good grief its not like he added another barrel to my gun? :confused:

Well I guess I'm the moron :moon: because I sent him my Accura V2 in the pics without knowing him and I'm very happy with the results. We exchanged a few PM's and that was all I needed.

Good grief its not like he added another barrel to my gun? :confused:

Robert, yours is perfectly safe as I made the adjustments to it and you even got some paper work telling you NOT to change to different brand of primers once i made the adjustments. This kind of stuff will always happen on forums, all you can go by is the trust in those that work on guns almost daily and know what they are doing. :way:

Top Bottom