Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Acorn reports

P

Patrick

While walking through the woods at archey league last night I noticed some acorns were starting to fall. Anyone else seeing this? Are we going to have another banner year for acorns or are the falling due to the dry weather and the lack of rain?

Pat,

Which species of Oaks do you generally find over your way? Over in the hills we have mostly Bur and Red Oak.

TLH

oakredf.gif

Red Oak Acorns

oakburf.gif

Bur Oak Acorns

Patrick

I recently relocated to Coralville and am going to be here for at least 4 or 5 years until my better half gets through dental school at Iowa. This is hard for me to cope with since we both graduated from Iowa State!! I am now at a loss on where to shoot and where to start looking for new hunting areas. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.

I was out today and noticed that the red and white oak in central Iowa have acorns forming. Also found a white oak that had dropped alot of acorns when they were only about pea size. May be due to very dry conditions here.

Took another look at the acorns at archery league Wednesday night. Most of them are red oaks but not all that big. Might be dropping due to the dry weather. Maybe the rain we've gotten this week will keep them on a little longer.

Ran a load of doughnuts (bear bait) up to Minnesota last night. Drove back across northern Iowa (I-35 to I-380) just before dark. Saw several bucks with antlers out past their ears. The cool evenings the last couple nights are getting ready for the fall.

Patrick
patrick@iowabowhunters.org

Top Bottom