Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Acorns to Oaks!

Does anyone know of any additional sources for Dwarf Chinkapin Oaks? They seem to be hard to come by and are often sold out from the few places that do have them. Anyone know of a source for the acorns or would be willing to part with any this fall? I really want to try to start some of these trees (they sound great!). Thanks.

Does anyone know of any additional sources for Dwarf Chinkapin Oaks? They seem to be hard to come by and are often sold out from the few places that do have them. Anyone know of a source for the acorns or would be willing to part with any this fall? I really want to try to start some of these trees (they sound great!). Thanks.

They are hard to come by, I may be able to collect some again this fall with a permit so keep in touch. :way:

I found some on line $35 for a 100 acorns. Avaidable this fall. Seemed pretty expensive

Was that Advantage Forestry? I asked them about their acorns and how far up they were hardy too since I am in zone 5. I believe he said theres are collected from zone 7.

DCO acorns are always at a premium like the seedlings so they are going to be much higher than standard acorns. Its capitalism and I can say it took me 3 hours to pick 8 pounds last year. :way:

Here is a contact to call to buy them by the pound this year from NE. I believe that he is the assistant director for the Nebraska Statewide Arboretum.

Tell him Phil Stark sent ya :D

Bob Henrickson
402/472-7855
rhenrickson2@unl.edu

acorns

Just curious, how do they transport acorns via mail, what type of packaging keeps them moist and cool?

acorns

Is anyone interested in a trade, I have 100+ year old bur oaks that will produce nice acorns, almost every year. I would trade for some swamp white oak acorns??

There is a 13 to 14 foot bur oak in my yard that is around 8 years old that started from an acorn, so I know they grow at a moderate rate.

Just curious, how do they transport acorns via mail, what type of packaging keeps them moist and cool?

If they are sent out fresh from the tree, you will get them before they even start to germinate anyways. Peat and ziplocs work the best as already stated. :way:

Some of Walt's oaks are already peeking out the top of the Protex tubes!!

AmesOak.jpg

Those trees were 2' + tall when we got them from the Iowa State Nursery howeve,r so the hybrid oaks were only 6" high but are catching up!

DCOgrowth.jpg

We have had some fierce straight line winds that took down trees but the tubes have at worst leaned a little and none have opned up thus far. The hybrid oak in this tube is likely to clear the top by the end of summer!

CIMG1534.jpg

Difficult to really get a good view from the top but one thing is clear...the leaves are very healthy and robust!

CIMG1538.jpg

A few of the fall planted Dwark Chinkapin Oak acorns finally did sprout at Walt's also

CIMG1527.jpg

and where they did not I started filling in with some Rootmaker grown DCO's

CIMG1526.jpg

Big difference in growth between the fall planted and rootmaker grown seedlings and I am curious as all get out how long term growth will compare but...I have an idea which one will win out... :way:

tree tubes

What is the best price on a quality 4 foot tree tube. I may need to order several hundred next spring, any companies that have good high volume discounts?

I have used Tree Pro in the past...happy with them, but also looking for other options.

What is the best price on a quality 4 foot tree tube. I may need to order several hundred next spring, any companies that have good high volume discounts?

I have used Tree Pro in the past...happy with them, but also looking for other options.

I would recommend Protex, you can double them up for things like walnuts since they have a compound leaf structure and need larger tubes. I would use 8 inch tubes (double up 2 protexs or any other 4 inch tube) for all trees as they work better and produce a stronger central leader IMO.

The protex tubes are 2.17 per tube when ordering over 300 for 5 footers. I have some 6 years old and they still look new even after being ran over a few times. :drink2:

If they last 6 years, it makes it much more feasable to tube lots of trees since they could be used on several different seedlings a piece.

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=1623&title=Protex+Pro%2FGro+Solid+Tube+Tree+Protectors

Here is a pic of the 6 year old Protex, no way treepro are making it that long, but the treepros sure work great!!

TrailCamPics003.jpg

Last edited:
Walt and I split an order of 400 X 48" Protex tubes and got the for $1.67...doubt you can beat that price on any other tubes. As Phil says I think they are pretty much indestructible and so far ours have endured some 50-60mph straight line winds with no problems.

Skip said some of his came apart last winter but so far none of ours have. In tree tube tests the Protex were middle to above the center as far as growth rates etc.

Real happy with ours so far but they do take some time to put together...;)

bur gambel oak

Dbltree: I saw on your site or in a post that you planted some bur gambel oaks from the Idaho nursery 2-3 years ago. Do you have any new pictures of how they are doing.

I called the nursery and the lady said she thought they would do well in Minnesota, but she said humidity may affect them...It is more humid in Iowa, so I am guessing that if they do well in Iowa, they should do fine in MN?

They are rated to Zone 3 and I am in Zone 4. Thanks.

Dbltree: I saw on your site or in a post that you planted some bur gambel oaks from the Idaho nursery 2-3 years ago. Do you have any new pictures of how they are doing.

I called the nursery and the lady said she thought they would do well in Minnesota, but she said humidity may affect them...It is more humid in Iowa, so I am guessing that if they do well in Iowa, they should do fine in MN?

They are rated to Zone 3 and I am in Zone 4. Thanks.

Ours are thriving so far! I actually have some that are 8 years old but bucks have thrashed them every year to within an inch of their life! I finally got busy and started fencing some of them.

The new ones are in tubes are doing great!:way:

Bur Gambel Oaks

No issues with humidity then, I didn't think that would be an issue? I'll order some, not a bad price $2. Thanks

The dwarf chinkapin oaks I planted by acorns last fall or all over the board some are looking fantastic, while others planted right next are not looking so great. Here is what the better ones look like and are around a foot tall already.

DwarfChinkapin.jpg

Always keep a look out for better than average producing white oaks. This one falls into that category for me, it had BUMPER crops the past 2 years and have some this year too. Obviously not as many as the last 2 tho.

WhiteOak1.jpg

Oaks

Anyone know which oak has the best shade tolerance, I have been planting some in existing timber with limited sun. Most seem to be living and growing, not extremely fast. Bur Oak would be first at this point, but Red and Pin Oak have also been OK....anyone experimented with oaks in limited sunlight?

Top Bottom