Acorns to Oaks!

Discussion in 'Dbltree's corner' started by dbltree, Jun 2, 2010.

1. goatman

goatman I hunt days ending in Y

Chestnut Oak

I have 100 acorns off a 8 yr. old Chestnut Oak for free. First year to bear. Be happy to mail them to some wanting to mess with them.

[​IMG]

Not as fast growing as a hybrid oak but nice shape and leaves. Branches spread out more than most in the white oak family. Tin wall is 8' high.
    [​IMG]

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. LoessHillsArcher

LoessHillsArcher Well-Known Member

I can find a permanent home for some of those! I don't need them all if someone else would like to try growing acorns into oak trees!

I've got a boat load of burs and white oaks collected if you'd like any of those. Any Gobbler Sawtooth acorns for you this year? :)

4. goatman

Sure thing Jordan. The Gobbler's are just now putting on acorns (which are always late) so they will be western Iowa bound.

5. IowaBowHunter1983

IowaBowHunter1983 Super Moderator Staff Member

Question: In a normal year when do Swamp White Oaks start dropping acorns? I have my eyes on 3 trees and in all 3 cases the acorns are very well attached and don't appear as though they will drop anytime soon. I've never paid that much attention to that variety because I don't have many (yet)

Side note: It appears to be a great year for white acorns. I was out collecting and in areas it was literally a blanket of acorns. If I had to guess I bet there was 20 acorns per square foot in all white oak tree areas.

Thanks.

6. goatman

My swamp white let go with the acorns last week. Still some on the tree but dry conditions have sped things up I think.

7. JayEC

JayEC Member

Ok dumb question, but I'm just trying this for the first time. I've got white oak acorns in the fridge from early Sept., the roots are just starting to pop out.
    What do I do? Can they go in the ground this late in the year if I water them well? I'll also use partial tubes to keep critters out.

8. JayEC

JayEC Member

I should have added that I'm not setup for potting them and I'm wondering if I can leave them in the fridge for fear of frost if they happen to pop out of the ground in a couple weeks?

9. goatman

Its a natural thing for white oaks to pop a root in the fall. They'll be fine if you want to put them in the ground. Partial tubes will not work 100% against rodents. Frost won't hurt chances but lack of water will. With all trees sometimes you hit it just right and some years are failures. Maybe it will rain in Nov. and you'll be glad you did it.

10. JayEC

JayEC Member

Thanks Goatman! I'll try to get them in the ground with plenty of water.

11. IowaBowHunter1983

Is there anything you can do to prevent acorn thievery other than a super tight fence? I don't know what is doing it, but something is stealing my acorns that are started in trays. Probably lost 25 out of 350.... and counting.

12. goatman

Don't count out mice.

13. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

I had same problem over the weekend. I found a hole about 8-10" in fence at house.... I blocked it with mini football last night just outta curiousity. Just checked it and whatever it was pushed it outta way. Rabbit, squirrel or coon. Couldn't find foot prints but it goes and digs em up and eats em. Now there's a conibear trap by that hole. We'll see! It's hunting season tonight!!

14. IowaBowHunter1983

Well whatever it is, it likes the Chesnut oak acorns I got from you!

I think I will be building a greenhouse for next year. It will be a fun project anyway.

15. Hardwood11

Hardwood11 Trump 2020

Acorns on an 8 year old tree, can't complain!!

Did you cage or tube the tree?

16. goatman

Tubed them from rabbits and deer. I started out with a few trees from Oikos Trees and they have been early producers. From them Ive been raising seedlings.

17. Sligh1

Mystery solved, the main part.... Nothing in my trap- went to check on acorns, little devil right there caught red handed.... Little chipmunk. Dang thing. He was pretty cute. Still got something else getting in but it's the chipmunk that eats about 3-4 acorns a day. Moved the trays up on my deck on the table and I don't think he'll get up there.

18. goatman

What no harvest pics. Sligh1 you're getting soft with age. It happens. Glad I don't have chipmunks.

19. Sligh1

Can't do it! I slayed a few "cute easter bunnies" last year and didn't shed many tears. Pretty funny. Chipmunks, we have a tiny amount by rock landscaping & they are going to be safe there. I am just moving the trays where they can't get to em. Yep, soft. Next step, quitting hunting, PETA membership, bringing in like 94 cats, etc.

20. IowaBowHunter1983

Couldn't wait till next year. Hope this helps my acorn thievery problem. Maybe I need to put a cat in there?!

[​IMG]

21. JayEC

JayEC Member

Nice looking greenhouse! Where did you get all of your tray supplies? I've been looking online, and I never knew (cheap) black plastic could be so expensive!