Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Advice on a hunting app.

slysoft

I am developing an app for Windows Phone 7. It will have various game calls including at least 6 mallard calls, 3 turkey calls, 2 deer calls, and at least one elk, and one black bear call. It will also have a gps feature that you can tag trails, tree stands, blinds, food plots, where you saw/killed game, and processing stations.I want to develop an app that will be useful to hunters, so what would be useful to you? What additional features would you like to see? What would be a reasonable price to charge for this app? If it were to sell reasonably well, I would be willing to pay a programmer to port it to Android and IOS. It will also have basic information for the following game:

Small Game:
Grouse
Rabbit
Quail
Dove
Woodcock
Wilson snipe
Crow
Canada Goose
Armadillo
Beaver
Coyote
English Sparrow
Groundhog
Nutria
Pigeon
Striped Skunk
Bobcat
Fox
Mink
Muskrat
River Otter
Spotted Skunk
Weasel
Raccoon & Opossum
Mallard

Big Game:
Boar
Black Bear
White Tail Deer
Elk
Turkey

Oh... Well. I am willing to make two versions. It won't be that difficult to only have predator calls on one of them, and make it a "Predator Edition". Thanks for the information. I wasn't aware of that restriction. It will be available anywhere in the world, but still. Is there anything else I can do to make it more useful for the states who wouldn't be able to use the regular game calls?

I always wanted an app that woul have aerial maps and land owns name on each piece of prop. Hell i would pay $50 for an app like that.

I was gong to have the aerial maps on the gps function. you push a button and it loads an aerial view of your location, which you can then zoom in or out... The land owner's name isn't going to happen. The reason is that this will be available to anyone in the world. trying to find and hook up to the databases necessary to get this information for anywhere in the world isn't feasible. I was thinking of charging no more than 9.99, but don't want to go that high for a mobile app. My other issue comes from the fact that I have tested the calls, and they do work. The issue is it would work better if hooked up to an external speaker... the most I would prefer to charge is 3.99

The app would be the easy part, but if you could develop a wireless speaker to enhance to use of the game call from your phone then you would be in business. Foxpro wouldnt be able to touch an Iphone app that would allow you to double your phonr as a predator call. Just program it so when the phone rings or gets a text that the sound doesn't also go thru the speaker, cuz i doubt coyotes would come in to Ted Nugent's "Fred Bear" ringtone :drink1:

Having developed the app HUNTIT for the android platform, I can tell you you are in for a tough sled.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2Tw...DvjVQa1PpcFNsn-WoGAJVB_W1dfWsloHeuP_zQjUGMMA=

http://www.androidpit.com/en/android/market/apps/app/seMn.App/HuntIT

People don't want to pay for apps as a general rule and hunters are as tight as they come when it comes to consumers groups.

Also remember, for a 99 cent app google takes 30 cents right off the bat as a commission on every sale.

If you have the know how go for it as it's pretty fun to have your own app, but I would NOT invest a ton of cash into if it was me.
Good luck to you.:way:

@Dor I'm a professional developer for windows anyway, so making an app for windows phone is easy. Besides the 100 to get membership in the market, It costs me nothing. Microsoft is the same. They get 30% of the price. I wanted to keep it fairly cheap. I would gladly only charge 99 cents or 1.99

I don't generally do Flash or Objective-C programming though, that is why I would pay to have it ported to Android and IOS if it sold in the windows market.

@kjohn15 If it were to be put on the ipone/ipad then you could do something like one of these two:
http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTX110-Wireless-Bluetooth-Smartphones/dp/B00553U5XE

http://www.amazon.com/iHome-iHM60GT-Rechargeable-Speaker-Translucent/dp/B004OA733E/ref=pd_cp_pc_3

It would be fairly easy to make it silence the actual ringtone if an external speaker is hooked up, and have it vibrate instead.

I would like to see it like up with moon phase, and weather per gps location.

I carry a lap top in my truck for work so I have not made the move to a smart phone yet, my kids think I am in the dark ages. But I may make the jump for a great hunting, gps, with maps app.

Top Bottom