Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

After the Shot

Ghost

Life Member
I found a good article written by Chuck Adams. It's that time of year when our attention turns to live game and away from the foam targets.

If you are not sure of a hit, take the time to talk to an experienced bow hunter about it before taking up the trail.

It could be the difference in recovering your deer or not.

Anyway, here is some good advice if you are interested.
waytogo.gif

As bowhunters, we strive to only take ethical shots at reasonable distances. However sometimes things go awry from the time the arrow leaves the bow until it hits home. Whether things go as planned, or a little skewed, your reaction to the shot may be critical to recovering your animal. Sure, you'll be excited during the moment you shoot at a buck. But chances are, you've already controlled your excitement to set up the shot in the first place. So continue that control after the arrow hits. Remember: Animal reaction and related clues are important.

The best bowhunters can tell you a number of things immediately after an arrow-hit deer runs away. They can describe what sound the arrow made on impact. They can often tell you where the arrow hit, and whether or not it stayed in the animal. They can report the body language of the deer as it left the scene. And they can tell you where they last saw and heard the target animal.

The impact sound of an arrow can tell you a lot. Fringe muscle hits and paunch hits produce almost no sound. Heart/lung hits produce a dull, hollow, watermelon-like plunk. Impact with bone heavier than ribs usually makes a crack like a baseball impacting concrete. When arrows hit heavy bone enclosed by thick muscle, as in the ham, this "crack" is muted to a "crunch". Seasoned bowhunters listen to arrow impact, and know from past experience where the shaft has probably hit, and where it did not.

Such information can be important, because archers do not always see where their shots go. If an arrow zips completely through, you might not get a good look...especially if arrow speed is over 250 feet per second. If light is low, or the animal instantly whirls out of sight, you might not spot the hit. Savvy bowhunters prefer bright, easily-seen fletching. I favor red, because this color is highly visible yet appears medium in tone to color-blind critters. Blue, yellow, orange, pink and white fletching are also easily seen, but these catch a deer's eye when clustered in a quiver.

Contrary to popular belief, you should not watch your arrow fly. This ruins good follow-through and degrades the shot. Instead, lock on where you are aiming so you can see the arrow hit the deer. Try to determine if the shaft remains in the animal, how far it has penetrated, and where it has entered and exited the body. This data can affect how and when you search for your prize.

Animal reactions to arrow hits vary wildly, but basic rules apply.

Deer hit in the vital chest usually run all-out with bodies held low to the ground. The best way to describe this is a mad scramble for safety. Arrows from modern bows most often pass completely through. Wait 30 minutes, and expect the animal to fall inside 200 yards.

Unfortunately, this same buck body language also applies to a hit to "no man's land" - that non-lethal zone directly above the lungs. A high hit, below the spine and directly behind the shoulder, almost never kills a deer, but produces a frantic escape run. Arrows here make a meaty thud. They sometimes pass all the way through and sometimes do not. Seeing such a hit is crucial to knowing whether or not you've killed your animal.
Examining all evidence can help determine where the deer is hit.

Animals hit near the spine sometimes stumble or actually fall. This means little, because the broadhead might not have caused serious damage. If such a deer does not drop on the spot, you've probably scored a superficial hit. The exception to this is if you shoot sharply downward. At a steep angle, the arrow can discombobulate a deer's spine and pass into lungs, heart, or arteries near the heart for a quick kill.

Paunch and ham hits rarely cause a deer to run away full-tilt. More often, the animal will take a spurt, slow, and continue to walk with body humped up and head slightly down. Wait at least three hours after a butt shot, six hours after a paunch hit. The animal, if unpressured, should die within 400 to 800 yards. Superficial edge hits to brisket, top of the shoulder, neck, legs or ham produce a variety of reactions. The most common is a hard, "bee sting" run...but not the low, headlong rush of a mortally wounded deer.

No matter how your deer exits the scene, you should take careful note of where you last saw and heard the animal. Deer often begin bleeding to the ground 50 or 100 yards from the hit site, and sometimes leave little blood at all. You can shortcut follow-up efforts when sign is skimpy by proceeding directly to the place you last detected your animal.

The final step in pre-follow-up strategy is assessing the data you've observed. Bowhunters who do not pay attention or do not mull over what they know often get the outcome wrong. For example, I was recently in camp with a bowhunter who shot a deer shortly before dark. This guy could not see his superfast carbon arrow fly or hit, but he was certain his vertical aim was right from 32 yards. Because the deer was walking to the right, and because the archer felt he had flinched his shot to the left, he came back and told us he had gut-shot the buck.

As we discussed the situation, the hunter casually mentioned that his arrow had made a sharp crack on impact, and that he had seen the fletching wagging near the butt, halfway up, as the animal ran away. Immediately, more seasoned archers in camp knew it was probably a ham hit. We assured our worried pal that we would probably find the deer. Next morning, before sunrise, we recovered the buck along a good blood trail less than 300 yards from the hit site. The proud archer had his deer, plus newfound knowledge guaranteed to make him analyze more carefully next time he hits a buck.

In bowhunting, you must listen, watch, and think immediately after the shot!

It is interesting to me that he subscribes to the theroy of a "void".

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, this same buck body language also applies to a hit to "no man's land" - that non-lethal zone directly above the lungs. A high hit, below the spine and directly behind the shoulder, almost never kills a deer, but produces a frantic escape run. Arrows here make a meaty thud. They sometimes pass all the way through and sometimes do not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that caught my eye too. I was like void??? What void???
confused.gif

The lungs are deflated in this picture...IMO below the spine is a high lung shot.

157anatomy1.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
I am a Pulmonologist (Lung Dr) and avid archer. As a disclaimer, I am not privy to what others have seen or witnessed. I am only trained in normal mammalian anatomy. As such, I offer the following:

1) The lungs are not "glued" to the chest wall. That said, they are mechanically linked by fluid forces between the chest wall pleural surface and the lung pleural surface. The example I use for my students is to take a zip lock bag, put in a very small amount of fluid to "wet" the surfaces and close the bad squeezing out all the air. Then try to separate one bag surface from the other. Can't be done without ripping the bag or putting air into the system. During normal respiration, the chest wall expands a small amount and the lung expand to remain constantly in contact no matter how fast or sharply you breath in. The diaphragm moves up and down a good deal as well, but again, the lungs are in continual contact with the diaphragm. The lungs never separate from chest wall - pleural space is a "potential space" until disease causes fluid to accumulate (effusion), bleeding (hemothorax), or chest wall puncture or lung rupture (pneumothorax). There is no anatomic pr physiologic void.

2) the lungs of all large mammals have recesses that reach above the horizontal lowermost reach of the spinal column. I will gladly attach computer tomographic images (CT scan) from man, pig, sheep to demonstrate that you can not design a path that goes under the spine that will not puncture at least one lung (assuming we are talking about the chest cavity). Someone needs to tell me how to do this with a Mac - or I can email them to someone to do it for us.

3) Not all pneumothoraces are lethal. Even bilateral lung puncture can be survived if there is not a large "sucking chest wound" and/or the lung slices quickly seal up with blood clot. Most of these animals will die, but a few can travel a long way even with "double lung" hits if only the tops of the lungs are sliced.

So, there is no void except in the beliefs of some; you can hit an animal below the spine and not recover it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
one common misconception is that a pneumothorax (collapsed lung) is an all or nothing phenomena. This is not true. Now certainly with a big open chest wound, most certainly the lung will collapse completely, but this still happens on a breath by breath basis (breath in creates negative pressure drawing air through open wound) and can take many minutes (= many yards if running). Also, if chest wound seals up (narrow slit, fat, clot, etc), lung may only leak a little air during expiration (positive pressure in lung to get breath out) and only partially collapse. Humans and deer have two separate pleural cavities (one for each lung), so dropping one lung leaves the other relatively unscathed. The bison has a single pleural space and was relatively "easy" to kill with even a one lung shot. That said, I have heard that an arrow to the chest of a bison may still take large fractions of any hour to put it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
In addition, remember your fluid dynamics and air flow resistance factors. A deer trachea (windpipe) provides a much bigger cross sectional area than most any broad head wound (area of circle vs intersecting slits). Thus, air will still follow path of least resistance and animal will be able to inspire until pressure in pleural space impedes air entry through normal channels. This scenario also presumes a "sucking" chest wound whereby entrained air through wound on inspiration does not escape on expiration (think ball valve). Very deadly. However, a true open pneumothorax (air in and out wound during respiratory cycle) can be tolerated for a very long time (ask many of our young men getting shrapnel wounds overseas or any trauma center doc

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
So, based on the scientific information above we can conclude that an arrow can only do one of the following:

1. Hit above the spine.

2. Hit below the spine and hit lung. Does not necessarily = dead deer.

"Void" is not a possibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good information and Great clarification guys. What some fail to realize is on a mature buck right behind the shoulders there is between 6" to 8" from the top of the hair line to the spine. Shots above the spine, with up to 8" of error, too many of these shots are said to be in the void but really above the spine. I've found these shots cause very minor injuries to deer and they will be chasing does in a matter of days.

One other point in this article that caught my attention was the sound of a gut shot - in my experience (and I'm not bragging
grin.gif
) gut shot's are quite noticable having a low toned drawn out hollow "thud" vs a chest shot having a slightly higher pitched "thump".

Good luck this year guys and may your blood trail be short ones
waytogo.gif

Interesting....I have always been told that there is a "no-zone" below the spine and above the lungs that was just muscle, or "loin". Great post Ghost....very good information!

[ QUOTE ]
gut shot's are quite noticable having a low toned drawn out hollow "thud" vs a chest shot having a slightly higher pitched "thump".

[/ QUOTE ]

That was same thing I was thinking; actually remebering.
icon_redface[1].gif
I shot a doe a couple years back at close range after a deflected arrow had missed its mark and angled into the gut area. I can still remember the deep hollow sound it made when it hit her. Kind of like thumping a big ol' watermelon.

Obviously, you have to respect the he11 out of Chuck, but I was ready to copy and paste just like LIMB and give the explanation ONECAM provided. Interesting that he beleives the void theory.

Some of the other explanations were a little borderline as well. I would always give a whitetail 8to 12 on a gut shot and with a little room for error the same for liver shot deer. I have jumped far to many of each of these types of hits the next day even. Both shots can provide a very slow end and have extreme caution used when starting the trail on either one. There are of course variations to the rule with other sign involved, but that is the general approach I take and have had great success in recovery since I have adopted it.

With a slob buck, I would always error on the side of giving more time when in doubt. I just may make the difference in bringing him home or having nightmares.

The buck I shot last year was hit in the stomach. To me it sounded like someone blew up a baloon and just let go of the end, and the air rushes out. It lunged, went about 40 yards, and laid down-very much as the article described a paunch hit deer. He was dead the next morning right where I left it. I will never forget the sound the arrow made going through the stomach, and I hope I never hear it again.

I shot a doe a few years back right in this "void" area. I had the exact same results that Chuck described. The doe was at 20 yards and I only got about 6" of penetration. I made the mistake of immediately picking up the blood trail and tracking her. I bumped her off her bed and ended up coming back the following afternoon. I tracked this doe close to 2 miles before I finally lost the blood trail. I never did find her. I do believe there is something to the "void area" I'm almost cetain that the doe survived her injury. It is definately not a lethal shot placement.

The picture you posted Ghost has to be one of the best pics of a deers anatomy that I have seen. That picture would be of great use in teaching kids where exactly the vitals of a deer are as it is so much more detailed than anything I've seen.

Good information Ghost!

Dropped deer off at the locker the other day and he always asks me if there are any broadheads in them...answer is always the same...not because of me! (knock on wood!
grin.gif
)

He told me the other day that a guy said the same thing, so he was peeved when he discovered a broadhead.

A short time later though he realized the guy was telling the truth when he also discovered 2/3 of the shaft, seperated from the broadhead...driven all the way into the loin area.

Both broadhead and shaft were encased in scar tissue and no injury was apparant from the outside.

There may not be a "void" area (if there is...I don't want to find it!
crazy.gif
) but some hits are apparantly survivable.

I love being in my tree stands but I sure prefer a shot from my ground blinds. Straight thru with no angle to worry about.

A one lung hit from not holding high enough at a steep angle is a tough one. They can last a long time and go along ways on one lung
crazy.gif

I like it a whole lot better when they make that death run and drop 30-40 yards in sight of my stand
waytogo.gif

Great post Ghost. I remember the 1st deer that I ever took a shot at I hit him in the "void" area. I knew from the shot that left/right was good but that I had hit alittle high. I went and got some help to track him (waited about 1 1/2 hours before starting) we looked for 4 hours that night. I went back out in the morning and looked all day for that deer, and never did find him. It was after that that I was talking to another bowhunter that I hit this "void" area, and that the shot had probably not killed him. I still replay that shot in my head every now and then and it still makes me sick that I couldn't find him, and that was 10 years ago.

Good post and good info. I always look at the void area as in front of the shoulder where the neck meets the body. I have shot a few there, only getting half of what I shot (didn't shoot them there intentionally).

Top Bottom