Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

After the Shot

I believe the 'void' area is for real. I've seen first hand at least 2 deer hit here. The cross section of that deer I think is a little bit misleading. I would think gravity would pull the lungs down further toward the brisket of the deer creating a void. As it lays in that picture, the lungs would be flattened out and pushed up against the spine because of gravity.

All I know is, the deer I've seen hit were both hit very high. So high that I couldn't believe it wasn't a spine shot. Made me a believer that there is a little room for error in that area I guess (like I need one more thing to think about while picking a spot...ha)

I guess you didn't read the entire post...
grin.gif

Take home point is if you hit a deer high below the spine and you think you smoked it but it does not bleed worth a darn and runs forever and your blood trail peters out, you should be congizant that this happens from time to time with a hit in this location and chances are that you will not recover the deer.

Another good post to bring to the top -

Information here will help with your recovery efforts

Excellent info Kent. I too was taught the "void" but through the years, anatomy class ect learned it isn't true. What one cam said is exactly what I believe happens to many as the spine dips down as it nears the neck, thus causing a "larger" area above the spine and most often a non-lethal wound.

Quote:
"I would think gravity would pull the lungs down further toward the brisket of the deer creating a void. As it lays in that picture, the lungs would be flattened out and pushed up against the spine because of gravity."

-this would be physiologically impossible as the lungs are attached to the top of the rib cage without any room at all to spare. They may "deflate" but only after pneumothorax in which the pressure gradient changes from an external wound, thus causing death. Death can come from pneumothorax, hemorrhage..or both. The high-lung aka "void" hits often do not cause sufficient blood loss (ie poor blood trail) or pneumothorax, thus the deer goes a long way.

The discussion will always be controversial and although NO SPACE occurs under the spine, it seems many deer can go a long ways and not succumb to their wounds in the most superior area of the lung, not to mention poor blood trails.

Last edited:
Top Bottom