Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

age? score? shooter?

hopper24

Pulled the card yesterday and found this big guy without the velvet on. this is a good front view
picture.php

Best view of his points
picture.php

Body shot
picture.php

early season action
picture.php

Age, score, shooter???

I'd say 3.5, grosses around 140 and nets 130, not a shooter.

He doesn't sport great mass or main beam length. I love the craggly tines and the double splits on the G2's. I'd love them even more of he could crack 150 next year.

Last edited:
Kind of a wild rack. A shooter for some may not be a shooter for others. A lot of factors to consider. Its your tag...if you can take him without regrets then let him have it.

I'm going to go out on a limb....

I think this is an older deer. One reason is the giant square patch on his forehead in the first picture. Winke talks about that being a sign (more than not) of an older deer from his research. The second sign is if you look at the last sparring picture, look how he has a "double neck". There is a solid line where the neck muscle stops and the fat kind of starts...I think you can see he is considerably older than the buck he's fighting with. Lastly, his tine thin out at the end. I found a dead buck last year that was at least 5.5 that was the same way. Great frame, but just didn't amount to a 180 like everyone thinks they will if you let them go....

Anyway, they're just my thoughts, but he probably wouldn't get the pass from me and I feel that this deer is older than you think...older than 3.5 IMO.... Too many times we age a deer based on the size of his rack... Let's look at his teeth and make a good guess.... ;)

I am also saying an older deer. Look at his "gut" also like what was said earlier his neck is huge straight into his shoulders. Little sway in the back. shooter in my book I am aging him at 5.5 maybe 6.5. At that age antlers dont matter they are a trophy no matter what.

i think he is around that 3.5 to 4.5 years old not a shooter in my book...but if u like him let the arrow fly...135" to 140" then take ur deductions...but nice looking deer...thanks for sharing...:way:

I'm awful at aging. My instinct says younger, 3.5ish but it's just a gut feeling. Based on the rack I probably wouldn't shoot him. I think he's flirting with 135 gross.. but like others have said, if you like him then go get him. Good luck with it!

i mesured him on buckscore.. the free software you get with a bushnell camera and he grossed 140" with 8" of deductions which is pretty good. ive done my deer i shot last year with the software and it was about 10" off what he scored.. so who knows.. i think he will be a good addition to my collection!

Top Bottom