Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Alfalfa in a tree planting

EatSleepHunt

I had a quick question for all you tree guys out there. I have a tree planting that I have good control of grasses in but I have a sudden flourish of alfalfa. I knew it was there to some extent but this year it has gotten a lot ticker in areas. Any of you have any experience with this?

Should I try and get rid of it, or not worry about it? I know sod forming grasses are bad but I am not sure about alfalfa. Any input would be great thanks.

I have mowed it. I was wondering if there was any long term effects of not killing it. Stunted growth of the trees? The planting is 4 years old. It is doing OK ,would be doing a lot better if it wasn't for rabbits.

I have mowed it. I was wondering if there was any long term effects of not killing it. Stunted growth of the trees? The planting is 4 years old. It is doing OK ,would be doing a lot better if it wasn't for rabbits.

Clarify...are the trees planted in the alfalfa or ? If you protect the trees and mat the trees, I don't think it matters what is next to the trees, as long as the trees are in tubes of cage?

long-term it would be an asset as it fixes nitrogen for the trees. negative would be if it is attracting pocket gophers near a tree planting.

About half of the trees are protected with tree tubes. I think I will spray some glyphosate around the trees to give them a little space. Thanks for the input.

Top Bottom