Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Alternative to Rage Broadheads while keeping Rage benefits???

Either Ulmer Edge or NAP Killzone. I'm trying the Killzone because I like how they stay locked in. No need to worry about a little rubber band and they have three different styled heads. Cut on contact, chisel and another.

I have given up expandables as well and love the NAP Hellfires for all the reasons mentioned above. of the four expandable I have used the only one that performed over and over with out flaw was the Rocket Steelhead,

I will throw out jakhammers! Been using them for several years without fail. Also carry around four blade buzz cuts.

As others have said, check out the ulmer edge. A friends brother and his hunting buddy (has super slam) are hardcore bowhunters from Alaska. They used the ulmer edge this year on moose, dall sheep, caribou and grizz with great success. Should work for IA deer just fine.

Im shocked I havent heard Jackhammers in the talks...
Prolly because it is all opinion based and jakhammers are "old school", no media blitz anymore.

I've had great success with jakhammers, still shoot them. They have never let me down. Yet, I don't feel the need to be their champion.

I shoot a variety of heads, all seem to work when placed properly.

Funny that Wasp Jak Hammers are being brought up now, as I have just decided to switch to these broadheads. 100 grain/1.75". Have heard and read very positive things on these heads.

Rocket Steelhead XL. Simple, fail-proof design that will get through the shoulder if need be. Fly true and leaves an 1.5" hole which is plenty big IMO. They've been around for ages so they've been put to the test. They're not as flashy as some of the competitors but they just plain work!

Reapers hands down.

I used to like Rocket Hammerheads but got sick of their blades bending into pretzels or breaking.

I like Rage, but I still have issues with them opening if they get caught on my quiver hood. Usually not an issue but if I'm trying to get a second shot off and that happens I'll be torqued.

Reapers have thicker blades (as do JakHammers) and they've given me pass thru shots on every deer except when I hit the off side shoulder on a buck. Even there it went thru the leg bone and poked out.

If you're looking for a good expandable, all of the above mentioned work great.

1. Spitfire's
2. Grim Reapers
3. Ulmer Edge
4. Wasp J Hammers

I've had similar experiences with the rocket expandables, blades bending beyond usability after only a couple of shots into a target. Which isn't a terrible thing as sometimes a little give in the blade is better than being brittle enough to snap, specifically on bone hits.

Although if they aren't completely dead set on using a mechanical broadhead, take a serious look at the Smoke Ramcats. I switched to them this this year, and they have a larger than average cutting diameter for most fixed blade heads. Are sharpened on the back side, so if you don't get a passthrough, they will expand AND cut on the way back out. Also, they fly absolutely incredible! Shot them out to 70 yards and didn't have to move the sight, rest, or anything. Just straight up flew like the field points, and I didn't spend a ton of time tuning my bow to begin with. Killed two deer with them this year, and they did great. These things penetrate like you wouldn't believe (not that it's a huge deal on whitetails anyway), but it's a little confidence booster. There are also some pretty good youtube videos online where they tested penetration against all the other leading broadheads at the ATA show and out penetrated them all.

I like the BPS Gators. I blew through the shoulder of my buck and heart punched him both blades still intacted. I won't buy anything else.

I've seen quite a bit of support on Grim Reaper broadheads. Which one do you guys like better razorcut SS or razortip?

Last edited:
Razor tip or Trocrazor or whatever its called. Basically a muzzy tip with blades. They are badass 2 inch deer destroyers.

So if someone went with from reapers- u like above better than the whitetail special they have out?
And I see a few different ones- what is the cutting diameter of the best grim reaper that u prefer?

Last edited:
Top Bottom