Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Alternative to Rage Broadheads while keeping Rage benefits???

2012-11-25162729.jpg

Here's a pic of the NAP Killzone. Through one rib going in and one going out. Blades are locked in place and theres no O Rings. Other than that it is basically a Rage 2 blade. They leave hella holes and awesome blood trails.

ulmer edge

ULMER EDGE

I always used to shoot rage 2 blade with deer hunting. I've never had any issues while hunting with them and everything i hit i found easy. Yet, I switched because the rage blades would sometime open up too easliy with putting on the rest and just handling them in general.

The ulmer edge is similiar in its design yet seem alot more fool proof of a head. It has a 1.5 cut....flies the best out of broadhead ive ever used.
Deer i shot this year was with the ulmers and it preformed great.

check them out

Wasp jak hammers I have been using. actually shot my buck this year with a rocket hammerhead. each one works but prefer the jak hammer. It is built tougher. for tukeys though the hammerhead is my go to head.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Grim Reapers and the Ulmer Edge have been responsible for several elk falling quickly out here, Skip. I have Grim Reapers, but haven't had a chance to use them on an animal yet. A good buddy of mine also dropped an elk at 72 yards with the G5 T3. On a quartering shot, it broke ribs going in and on the off-side before lodging into the off-side shoulder. All the above leave tremendous holes and I haven't heard of any problems with their function.

I'm a Reaper fan but tried the Ulmer Edges this year. The Ulmer's did a nice job. They are a 1.5 inch cut two blade. They performed very well.

I tried the NAP killzones this year, they looked great, and the practice tip shot right with my field points out to 40yds. The problem was the middle 160s twelve point that I had inside of thirty yards twice this year, each shot planed off hard after being released. The blades were coming open during flight, and cost me a great buck. I will be going back to Thunderheads next year.

Blood runners! I will stand by those broad heads until the day I die. No complaints about them. They leave a huge hole and you don't have to worry about them coming open.

You guys know of any good studies or statistics/comparisons that are done? I like using "evidence" in a good study or comparison with a lot of research I do. Like, for example, I see 2 comparisons I linked below. Of course one needs to really dig into these & there will be some studies you won't agree with (let's say one that uses plywood vs a gelatin block with real shoulder in it). Do you all know of other solid comparisons, studies, tests & reviews?

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/g...ical-and-fixed-blade-?photo=1#node-1001357400

&

http://www.broadheadhunter.blogspot.com/p/results-of-penetration-test.html

I've taken 30-35 deer with mostly the Rocket 4 blade that are no longer made. Before that was Rocky ti, Snyper, Slick tricks. I do prefer a bigger cut which is the only reason I haven't gone back to a fixed head. But this year I'm getting a new bow which is much more powerful so I'm going to go up in arrow weight and push the Slick Trick 150 grain on an ACC 3-71 for a total arrow weight of 460grains. It's a 1-1/8" cut 4 blade and it's fool proof.

I don't think I like any of the new mechanical designs out there today. The New Rage Hypodermic is close but the blade angle bothers me.

I switched from fixed blade to the schwacker this year. Doesn't look like they're all that popular with you guys but so far I love em. When sighting them in they flew exactly like my field points. No adjustment whatsoever. They're claim to fame is the rear deploying blades that don't fully open until the first small blades cut the hide of the animal. Supposedly makes for great performance on quartering shots. I shoot the 2 blade 1.75." They're simple and not much to em but they tear up a deer. Shot only one with em so far but had immediate blood even tho I didn't need it as the doe only went 15 yards. They're slogan is "opens so fast you can hear the schwack" and man is it true. From 30 yards it sounded like I hit the deer with a fly swatter as hard as I could.

Sligh1 said:
You guys know of any good studies or statistics/comparisons that are done? I like using "evidence" in a good study or comparison with a lot of research I do. Like, for example, I see 2 comparisons I linked below. Of course one needs to really dig into these & there will be some studies you won't agree with (let's say one that uses plywood vs a gelatin block with real shoulder in it). Do you all know of other solid comparisons, studies, tests & reviews?

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gallery/hunting/whitetail-deer/bowhunting/2012/08/best-broadheads-mechanical-and-fixed-blade-?photo=1#node-1001357400

&

http://www.broadheadhunter.blogspot.com/p/results-of-penetration-test.html

My teenage son had an issue with a mechanical head because of his low draw weight this season. I decided to put him on a fixed blade for this fall. Did some searching and found the Solid broadhead (solid-broadheads.com). They are fairly new on the market and I don't know much about them, just what I've seen from their web site ( pretty impressive) very pricey though. I'm with you and want to see evidence so I added some links to Solid and others. If anybody has used them sure would like some feedback before i drop coin on them. Don't forget that the arrow behind whatever broadhead you use makes a huge difference. A high kinetic energy arrow like Easton FMJ a high-strength, N-FUSED carbon core wrapped in a full metal jacket, will make even the crappiest broadhead better.

http://youtu.be/SWYwPLADW_k

http://youtu.be/xwqekkGFLYM

http://youtu.be/PC7iGwSl33o

EPEK - EPEK - EPEK. The best heads I've ever tested, shot, and killed with. Anyone who know's me well, knows I'm an ANAL SOB. These are the real deal. No way anything can out fly them as they are the only head in the world that have ZERO blades exposed during arrow flight. Now if you could find them anywhere that would be a help! he he he....

I have shot Rage for the past several years and the only complaints I have are:

1) They're too expensive
2) The blades sometimes deploy going in and out of a quiver...you have to keep an eye on them each time you clip on.

This past weekend I looked at some G5 T3 expandables my dad shoots, and they appear to address both issues while maintaining the accuracy I like so much in the Rages. A little searching online shows you can buy a 3 pack roughly $10 cheaper than a 3 blade Rage, and blade retention also appears to be better. I know I'm going to try some out this fall. They were also the head that left this blood trail from a buck dad shot in November :D

BloodTrail.jpg

NWBuck

If you're looking for a good expandable, all of the above mentioned work great.

1. Spitfire's
2. Grim Reapers
3. Ulmer Edge
4. Wasp J Hammers

I've had similar experiences with the rocket expandables, blades bending beyond usability after only a couple of shots into a target. Which isn't a terrible thing as sometimes a little give in the blade is better than being brittle enough to snap, specifically on bone hits.

Although if they aren't completely dead set on using a mechanical broadhead, take a serious look at the Smoke Ramcats. I switched to them this this year, and they have a larger than average cutting diameter for most fixed blade heads. Are sharpened on the back side, so if you don't get a passthrough, they will expand AND cut on the way back out. Also, they fly absolutely incredible! Shot them out to 70 yards and didn't have to move the sight, rest, or anything. Just straight up flew like the field points, and I didn't spend a ton of time tuning my bow to begin with. Killed two deer with them this year, and they did great. These things penetrate like you wouldn't believe (not that it's a huge deal on whitetails anyway), but it's a little confidence booster. There are also some pretty good youtube videos online where they tested penetration against all the other leading broadheads at the ATA show and out penetrated them all.

The Wasp Jackhammer is terrible about kicking out to the side on quartering shots. I would not recommed them. Devestating on broadside, but horrible for quartering shots. Just an FYI.

Haven't read through all of the posts but IMHO, there is no fail-safe mechanical broadhead. Anything with a movable part is in some way or another capable of failing at some point in time. The frequency of that failure may vary greatly depending on design, and if you're willing to take that extremely small chance of failure with a well designed mechanical, then go for it. But if you want an absolutely fail-safe broadhead, you have to go with a fixed. When I worked as an archery tech at outdoor stores, and people asked my opinion on broadheads i always said there is no reason NOT to shoot a fixed blade unless you cannot or do not want to tune your bow to shoot them accurately.

Haven't read through all of the posts but IMHO, there is no fail-safe mechanical broadhead. Anything with a movable part is in some way or another capable of failing at some point in time. The frequency of that failure may vary greatly depending on design, and if you're willing to take that extremely small chance of failure with a well designed mechanical, then go for it. But if you want an absolutely fail-safe broadhead, you have to go with a fixed. When I worked as an archery tech at outdoor stores, and people asked my opinion on broadheads i always said there is no reason NOT to shoot a fixed blade unless you cannot or do not want to tune your bow to shoot them accurately.

Surface area. All fixed heads have more exposed surface area than a mechanical, and as such are effected more by wind than a mechanical. I shot 100 grain muzzy's for quite a few years but was continually frustrated when testing them in moderate to heavy wind conditions. In those conditions the mechanicals are always more accurate.

NWBuck

I have had great success with grim reaper & nap spitfire max mechanical brodheads,neither one recquires o-rings.the deer i shoot don't hardly ever go over 60 yards.

Top Bottom