Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Alternatives to rye?

stevep

I've got some plots that I'll be planting this summer. I've done the clover / rye mix recommended here before, and I've been really happy with it, BUT this plot is in an area that I don't have a lot of access to with equipment. I know that in the spring / summer, the rye goes nuts and I don't want to have to deal with getting a mower back in there to cut it (or a sprayer to kill it).

So I guess the question is this, if my plot is bare dirt this summer and I'm going to do a fall planting with the hopes of doing clover and something else, what else can I put with the clover to get a similar effect to the rye without the troubles the following spring? I would just do a fall planting of clover, but at the same time I would like to have SOME food for the deer this fall.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Steve

A couple of things...you don't have to kill the rye in the spring. It will grow like crazy in may and June and then die off on its own in July'ish. The clover will be fine underneath the rye too. Also, I don't think there is any such thing as "bare dirt this summer". If you don't have anything growing I am pretty sure you will have a plot of weeds and then have to deal with knocking those down prior to planting later this summer. I would tend to leave the rye myself.

Does the rye "reseed" itself? Will it come back the following fall?

The last time I did the rye, I was amazed when I showed up in late May to a field of rye that stood as tall as me!

If u want it to die off and have less mowing or none.... in late summer- plant oats with clovers. Oats will die after it gets cold enough. Leaves u with solid clover the following spring. Plenty of other ideas too depending on what ur goals are if different that wanting clover.

Another option.....Mix annual crimson in with your perennial whites. You'll have a great stand this year and into the future.

Oats are what your wanting but winter rye does so much more to improve your soil. It also won't tiller like wheat leaving a perfect nurse crop. Some rye will reseed but not a problem. Turkeys and fawns will love the rye.

Top Bottom