Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Amending Soil for Long Term

mswaldo

What would be the better choice to amend a light sandy loam soil for the long term.

1) 5 month old horse manure
2) Compost from municipal yard waste

I don't know if the horse manure is too new and would burn food plots out.
They are smaller plots (4 at .5 acres each). I plan on renting a dump trailer for the day and run some loads.

thanks

If you can afford it, I do think it would make a difference. I did it in my garden and before it was garbage, clay and tiny top soil from builders not putting any back when seeding/sod. I put down a dump truck of compost & dump truck of top soil on just the .2 acre massive garden and about .5 acres of lawn I added a lighter coat from another load. You can't argue with the results, it's crazy. I got fertility right and ph where I wanted it.

On a large scale, for my farming operation, no way I can do it obviously. In AG settting, my option is building soil through things like: winter rye, manure, clovers, peas, etc. Which is also a great way to do it. If I had a gazillion dollars to put 6" of compost & manure on my farm, I would. I know some folks would say it's not good or you can't. I disagree. I really think the cost & supply is the issue. No doubt manure is probably the best fertilizer out there. It is, beyond the obvious NPK, it's adding organic matter & many nutrients like vitamins & minerals. So, the last issue then is the compost- well, you're just speeding up what I'm trying to do with rye, clover, peas, etc - my plow down stuff. You're just picking a faster but more expensive option. BUT - in one schmo's experience - you cannot argue with my one piddly example of what I grew before doing this and what's there now. crazy. If you can afford it, do it. If not, look at the ryes, manure, plow downs, etc.

If you could mix them, that would probably be ideal. Im not sure how 'hot' horse manure is. Compost would probably be the best long term amendment. How fine is the compost though? You probably wont want a bunch of big wood chips in it.

Compost is extremely fine. Having it wash away would be my biggest concern. If at all erodible- I would seed it down to secure it. Ur manure will be fine. N in manure will not burn anything unless u put on growing plants. Chicken manure will absolutely burn things. I would imagine horse manure is not near as hot.

Like above- I agree on mixing OR putting manure over compost. Compost will have nothing for chunks in it. Ur thicker material will be manure.

Here ya go. (yes I am a data dork).

picture.php

Top Bottom