Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

another gun-related article

Granted I only read half this article but what I read pissed me off. Is the sheriffs office amassing secret files on kids who like fireamrs but are struggling in school? Any body here ever fail a class? Anywhere? Would you like the sheriffs office to keep records of your academic performance? I am not a fan of this and when I get a chance I'm calling the school.

I saw the movie about that shooting in'91. The shooter was from from China. He was here getting his doctorate. From what th movie portrayed, the kid was at his final exam and his mentor/professor denied him because the students theory challenged his. Kid goes crazy and eventually shoots the prof. and some others.

Doctorate students don't get poor grades. My point is, your gpa is not a valid indicator to mental health. Therefore, the sheriffs office has no right to acess that info.

Last edited:
I read the entire article and I'm pissed!

I have access to all that information and if I "misused" it, I'd lose my job because of FERPA.

Yet it was shared "freely" with someone who is quoted as saying "I couldn't have used it anyway"? :confused:

contact your legislators to supoort house file 81, which will keep permit holder's names confiential from the general publi, law enforcement would be able to gain acess if necessary for an investigation

I wonder if anyone who was denied a permit based on info provided by the U now has civil recourse.
Our focus is now on keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill. How is that to be facilitated? I’m not saying what the U or Sherriff Pulkrabek did was right, but how do we keep the mentally ill from getting guns?

I think it's bigger than "how do we keep them from getting guns". It's a matter of how do we keep them from harming themselves as well as others. Guns or not, people who are sick will find a way. Profiling? I don't know, I think it's called judgement!

Common sense should prevail in most situations, period. Imagine how many crimes could have been prevented if people just would have stepped up and done the right thing. Bottom line is people are too afraid to say something anymore because of the political correctness of the situation.

Sad if you ask me......

in all the mass shootings that have happened over the years, including at schools like UI and VTech... imagine how many innocent lives could have been saved if just one person there was legally carrying. these psychopaths are expecting to just slaughter unarmed, innocent victims... i doubt they're ready for return-fire.

Failing one course, no big deal, and I doubt the sheriff would care one bit either. Now, what if a student is failing to the point of flunking out of school and has seen their adviser and blames a certain prof or TA or maybe their roommate. What if your son or daughter is that roommate or TA? Still irrelevant? The sheriff shouldn't get to know that info because as Ted Nugent told Piers Morgan" it might hurt their feelings"? I'm a total supporter of gun rights but I have no problem with some personal info being given to a sheriff in this case. What info would be allowable and politically correct?

I’m not saying what the U or Sherriff Pulkrabek did was right, but how do we keep the mentally ill from getting guns?

The "keeping the mentally ill from getting guns is the only plus side I can see to this.

What info would be allowable and politically correct?

WHO gets to make the call on what IF any info being released is where I'm incensed. FERPA has strict guidelines and I think it is up to the Feds to address whether this is acceptable. But whom I kidding there, the Feds, really??

A parent can not get to this information on their child unless the child signs a release.

Ok, but just how would the sheriff knowing your school records hurt you? Wouldn't your grades be put out to prospective employers in the form of resumes? Wouldn't your records be way more likely to get on facebook from someone in the office than from the sheriff? I realize there may have to be a line somewhere, but I can't see this one.

Ok, but just how would the sheriff knowing your school records hurt you? Wouldn't your grades be put out to prospective employers in the form of resumes? Wouldn't your records be way more likely to get on facebook from someone in the office than from the sheriff? I realize there may have to be a line somewhere, but I can't see this one.

When the college kids were signing the release form so the Sheriff could do a background check, they probably figured they were allowing him to pull their police record.

I doubt they had any idea that the U would turn over all of it's records on them. When they go to apply for a job, they sign a release for their records to be given to prospective employers, very explicit.

As I've stated before, FERPA is a BIG DEAL. If I even get caught looking where I shouldn't, I could lose my job. Much like people at the hospital snooping on celeb patient records (HIPPA).

What probably bothers me the most is that the U is appears to be two faced. When a student athlete or employee gets in trouble and there is an Iowa open records request for files, the U hides behind the statement that personnel records are exempt under the law. Here, they are offering personnel records up on a platter. They need to decide which way it is!

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Last edited:

I dont see it necessarily hurt anything. Its the fact that they are retarded enough to think that grades in school has anything to do with someones mental state. What would it prove. So they're basically saying that if you have bad grades your a threat to society? Like I said shame on them. I totally agree with pushing toward a safer society, but this is the wrong way to go about it. As a college student who has had trouble grade wise, it really burns my arse to think that if I went to school at IU, and applied for a gun permit, I would be looked at differently than every other citizen. JMO

Edit: As far as the resume thing, no comparison. If you apply for a job/career, the inquiring company needs to know if you are adequately educated enough to complete the required job. Bottom line IMO, grades should not be a factor in someones right to defend themselves.

Last edited:
I dont see it necessarily hurt anything. Its the fact that they are retarded enough to think that grades in school has anything to do with someones mental state. What would it prove. So they're basically saying that if you have bad grades your a threat to society? Like I said shame on them. I totally agree with pushing toward a safer society, but this is the wrong way to go about it. As a college student who has had trouble grade wise, it really burns my arse to think that if I went to school at IU, and applied for a gun permit, I would be looked at differently than every other citizen. JMO

Edit: As far as the resume thing, no comparison. If you apply for a job/career, the inquiring company needs to know if you are adequately educated enough to complete the required job. Bottom line IMO, grades should not be a factor in someones right to defend themselves.

X2.
Your GPA has no bearing on your right to own a firearm.

Top Bottom