Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Another survivor buck story inspired to share by Sligh's story

What a brute, still amazing what they can endure. I can hardly take a tooth ache yet along a slug in the shoulder!

Wow, that's a giant! Crazy how their hair grows back like that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I agree with all of you, what a buck and its amazing at how much bone he put on in one season, especially after the wound.

My buddy measured him and came up with 177 2/8. I guessed 180 before he left for home. He was alone when he did measure and has never measured one before. I plan on sitting down with him and remeasuring. Maybe we can squeeze a legitimate 3 inches out of him to get to 180:) If we do get a bigger measurement I will post it up.

Like several of you I would have thought it was even bigger as well. Using 177 for the measurement I believe he added almost 4o inches of B&C measured bone on. I don't believe he would have been more than a upper 130s 4x4 last year. I'm so glad he didn't stumble by me last year during muzzle loader season as I would have shot him because he made the, at least 4 years old list and his wound. I didn't believe he would make it.

Like we have all said he is a huge buck and for me it is a once in a lifetime buck that I was lucky to be part of.

Thank you all for looking and your comments.

While gutting and skinning did you guys perform a necropsy at all? Could you tell what the arrow hit on the old shot and what it all did damage to?

Bigbuck, I was very curious about the old wound and even worked as though the broadhead could still be in there somewhere. There was no evidence of penetration of the chest cavity. The hide scar was very visible but here was no evidence on the bones of a hit. In the pics from this year one can see the area behind the shoulder is missing a bunch muscle. I was essentially gone, it had healed up with the tissue either dead or atrophied to nothing. It was a sizeable chunk missing. I thought I would find more evidence of the hit but that was it. It did seem that the connective tissue behind was damaged and that is why the shoulder stood out so much higher above the back when he put weight on that hoof.

My buddy had him officially scored at a sports show today. It was like ground growage, when you walk up to your buck and it gets bigger, rare I know.:) He had scored it at 177 2/8 gross but the bc guy scored it at 186 gross. Gotta love it.

In my mind when he told me 177 I thought, wow, I thought it was bigger than that, I suck at guessing scores. Glad it went the direction it did. Makes it even sweeter.

186” looks more accurate but- with that buck especially - who knows and that buck... who cares!!! That dude is so impressive that the score discussion just goes out the window. I’ve seen Bucks that score “180’s or 190’s” for example that don’t look nearly as impressive. That dude has a “wow factor” that no score will do justice to. Well done!! Massive toad!!

Top Bottom