Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Antler Terminology 101: Sticker, Kicker, and Drop

NebraskaWhitetail

I see alot of antler terms tossed around on here without any good, solid defintions of what they mean. So I thought it would be good to have a thread where we can discuss how the commonly-used terms of "drop tine" "kicker" and sticker" are defined.

Here's what I always thought they meant, and you guys can correct me if I'm wrong or if you have different definitions:

Drop tine: A downward growing non-typical point that comes off the bottom of the main beam.

Kicker point: any non-typical point that grows out from the burr portion of the antler.

Sticker point: A non-typical point branching off from one of the typical points (off the G-1, G-2, G-3, etc.)

Anybody agree or disagree with these definitions?

to tell yah the truth, i think its kind of a where you are from kind of thing, in eastern iowa, i've never heard the term Kicker point and if i ever did it would be by an old timer. on here i hear it all the time, i just know them as sticker points. so whatever anyone wants to call them they are all fine with me
smile.gif

Up here the non typical stuff is all "junk", good junk though, not what we associate with junk.

ya, I think sticker and kicker need to be switched, and u also may want to add to the droptine defintion" any non-typical point growing downward from the bottom or side of the main beam.

Besides all this kicker and sticker stuff, what about the G-1, G-2 etc.? If we're measureing TINES, why not T-1, T-2 etc.? What's the "G" stand for? Just curious.

[ QUOTE ]
Besides all this kicker and sticker stuff, what about the G-1, G-2 etc.? If we're measureing TINES, why not T-1, T-2 etc.? What's the "G" stand for? Just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, we are measuring tines, but the Boone & Crokett, and Pope & Young scoring systems use the terms G-1, G-2, G-3, and so on to refer to the points on the typical frame of any antler. Even non-typical deer have a typical frame hidden somewhere in that mess. So that's where those terms come from. Honest, I didn't make them up!

[ QUOTE ]
i would say your sticker and kicker definitions need switched

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason for the definitions as I originally wrote them was that I had heard David Morris on one of the Monsterbucks videos refer to a point branching off a G-2 as a sticker. Maybe David was wrong. I'm just trying to figure out what is correct.

Re: Antler Terminology 101: Sticker, Kicker, and D

Homerj,

The "G" from Gtines is just an alphabetical order thing that happened.

When measuring for B&C, the order goes as follows:

A - # of pts on each antler
B - tip to tip spread
C - greatest spread
D - inside spread
E - lengths of abnormal pts
F - length of main beams
G - length of normal pts
H - circumfrance measurements

so is the reason that typical tines have been called "G tines" over the years.

I thought the "G" stood for growth 1 , growth 2 , etc. guess ya learn something new all the time.
blush.gif
thanks for the book learnin' adamo.

I just call them "abnormals"

Top Bottom