Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Any Archers Paying Attention?

Shovelbuck

Ok stickbow shooters, I know you're out there.;) Loosen up the keyboard and answer a simple question.
I'm just wondering of those of us here, how many shoot three under or one above?
Myself, I've shot three under for 40 years.

I don't know if I am considered an archer (I do hunt with a bow) And I don't pay much for attention. Probably pay more to slip under the radar.. Regardless I've been split fingers since '56. and probably stay that way. But then you knew that.. and you are right, I sure hope they don't start throwing dirt in our face around here. It sure is quiet.

Should'nt be to much dirt thrown as "archer" limits the number of people that cast arrows. :D

Been shooting one over for 43 years, because that seems to work for me and that is how my father taught me.

I have shot with many different people with technically different low tech shooting styles that could place the arrow where they wanted it. So what else is there?

Archery is in the heart and mind. :)

One of the best testiments to individual style and ability was demostrated at a shooting clinic being performed by G Fred Asbell many years ago.

There was a line of archers waiting to shoot and have G Fred give them suggestions on how to improve their shooting. He would help them address anchor point, release issues etc...

A friend of mine who shoots extremely well with a high anchor point stepped up and fired 3 shots that practically shaved the feathers off one another at 20 yards.

G Fred says: "Well your anchor is a little high, but I'll be damned if I will tell you how to shoot"

Archery is supposed to be fun! :way:

Keep your feathers dry.....BW

3 fingers under since i was little , my dad always shot and still does split finger, i never could get used to it , so i stick with 3 under.

I dont shoot stickbows much anymore but i have always shot split finger,Ive tried 3 under but never worked out.I have been thinking of getting the longbow out and going to some 3d shoots again.Im more of a recurve shooter though.

1 above
3 under just doesn't feel/seem right.
I feel like i have move more control with 1 above.

Three under. I have only shot for a few short years and the Archery in school program encourages three under for instruction so I went that way. I still do almost all of my shooting with a release and compound.

i was always a one over and two under kind of guy, but, i switched it up every now and then

Last edited:
1 over 2 under. That's how I started about 23 yrs ago and I've never changed....makes me feel old to say that!

I have always shot split finger, it seems to work well for me. I never could get used to the idea of shooting three under. I did notice that the archery in schools program teaches three under, so it must work well.

My 2 brothers, Dad, and I have all shot one over and 2 under as long as we've been shooting bows, which is since we were young kids. Seems like it feels right. With all you who are shooting 3 under, what advantage do you think it has over the one on top and 2 under? Less string pinch, but anything else?

but anything else?

If you are using the tip of arrow for a sight, IE....Gap Shooting, it puts it closer to the point of impact. For shooting "instinctive" if there is such a thing, it puts the arrow closer to line of sight.

Top Bottom