Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Any gobbling yet???

B

Bowbendr

Has anyone been out to see if the any toms are talking in the morning? Just curious as to when they may start.

They usually don't start until it really warms up. When you start hearing other birds singing right away in the morning, the gooblers probably are too. Probably 2 more months till then.

I was driving west bound on 30 and across from ADM a week and 1/2 ago and saw 4 turkey and 2 of them were strutting. Drove back by a couple of hours later and they were still there strutting. I couldnt believe it. They had to be freezing their tail feathers off.

Last year the first time that i heard them start gobbling consistently was at the very end of March. That's when they generally start around my part of the state.

During 1st season shotgun I was glassing a null and watched a ton of turkeys on a hillside. The hens were going nuts, then I heard 1 gobble. I couldn't believe my ears. There was no doubt that what I heard was a gobble!

I have heard a lot of gobbling in the fall in years past but do not hear it in the spring until the middle to latter part of march

...one of my turkey hunting mentors told me years ago that the old toms started getting fired up after two consecutive nights of 40 degrees or warmer...from my experiences it has proven to be a pretty good rule of thumb...
waytogo.gif

I have'nt heard gobbling this early but an old timmer told me that toms gobble year around but I think he was talking a little further south. I did hear a hen cutting like crazy for at least half hour. I think she was trying to locate other hens.
893USA1-thumb[1].gif

You may hear some gobbling at any time of the year from my experiences. However when it is not during the spring of the year (mating season) I believe it is mainly jakes trying out their new noisemakers. On one property I hunt you can hear gobbling every morning all year round, but the flock consists of hens and jakes. The bachelor group of mature gobblers I have not heard a peep out of since late May. My $.02...

husker,

I think you're exactly right. The most gobbling I've ever heard in one morning was this fall during a mid November deer stand. Several hundred gobbles in just a couple of hours. When the birds all made their way out into the open field it was clear that it was a large group of hens, jakes and jennies.

NWBuck

Top Bottom