Any here shoot traditional bows only?

Discussion in 'Muzzleloading and Traditional Archery' started by Altiman94, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Forestryguy

Forestryguy Member

I started shooting archery with a compound. A few years ago I hunted with a long bow. I was confident out to around 15 yds. Had the biggest deer that I have ever seen alive at 45 yds. He got my scent, since I was on the ground. Went and bought a new compound and can shoot it deadly out to 80 yds. I have not even been out this year and I am already thinking of seeing if I can hunt with the long bow. My compound is heavy, and you have to have a pretty good idea of what the yardage to the target is. With the longbow, I can carry it all day without wanting to put it down, I can instinctively shoot and not have to have the exact yardage. I also feel that I do not need to bring as much useless stuff with me to the woods. I also now own a recurve. I am at the point in life where the hunt is more about enjoying the time out, honing my woodsman skills and not how far I can shoot a deer at. I have already done that.

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. Altiman94

Altiman94 Member

This will be the year for me....selling my compound and going to the long bow full time. I've been using the compound as a crutch for 4 years now, always telling myself that I'm not ready. I'm ready now - and I'll either harvest or eat a couple tags trying.

4. iabwhntr

iabwhntr Active Member

I like your attitude! Are you going to hunt from a stand or the ground?

5. Altiman94

Altiman94 Member

Stand primarily. There's one area that doesn't really allow for a good stand location that is a candidate for ground sits. But I rarely hunt it until late muzz.

6. Altiman94

Altiman94 Member

My compound sold last night so I am 'all in'. I had sat 2 other times with the stick bow this year but needed to oust my crutch. It feels almost spiritual to be in the woods with a simple stick and string.

7. iabwhntr

iabwhntr Active Member

Yes. Yes it does. Now if we could just get you out of the tree and put your nose to the wind...One step at a time I s'pose...

Enjoy