Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Any rain down there lately?

Hardwood11

It is going to be a good fall!
I live in MN, so I mainly watch the radar and keep in touch with a few guys as well. Does not look like much for rain lately? I am near Osceola...just curious?

extremely hit or miss. I have a farm on each side of Osceola. One got over 1/2". The other..... barely enough to cut the dust.

Same here. One my farms pry got 3/4" on a rain and other got enough to dampen dust. Bout 6-7 miles apart. Frustrating. That same farm missed another one too. So 2+ weeks since any decent rain. I ain't gonna "worry bout it"..... (easier said than done).... I had to get water to some new trees and I may have some beans to replant that I got in about 3 weeks ago- one 1/2" rain and spotty germination. Only thing could mess me up if soil crusted wrong for beans BUT I also have possibility some beans might not have germinated. Need to look closer asap.

My previous preparation will sure help immensely though.... lots of cover crops in past. & last years left over cover crops helped too. Over time -builds organic matter but last year's is sure making a nice mat to hold in moisture and it sure seems to be working great. Did all no till this year as well. Doing cover crops in past and then running into drought sure eases things a lot. So- I guess so far - worst case is a bit of late planted beans if I need any replant & watering some trees. Bout it. Please do rain though :)

Her goes the DRY Lone Ranger again. You remember always dry Lone Ranger? Over here near Ottumwa some of the driest areas of the State. If you don't believe me this was stated yesterday on WHO,Farm Program. This week make number 5 with only a half inch to show. Friend I have west of Ottumwa dryer that! Last weeks Stormy pattern for 4 days effectively shot everything North or more abundantly South of us across MO. Lots of water down there. Creek is dry,,clay is cracked. Im done.....

Her goes the DRY Lone Ranger again. You remember always dry Lone Ranger? Over here near Ottumwa some of the driest areas of the State. If you don't believe me this was stated yesterday on WHO,Farm Program. This week make number 5 with only a half inch to show. Friend I have west of Ottumwa dryer that! Last weeks Stormy pattern for 4 days effectively shot everything North or more abundantly South of us across MO. Lots of water down there. Creek is dry,,clay is cracked. Im done.....

Are you sure you not living near Phoenix? 122 degrees in AZ today! No I get it, finally I may draw for archery and I am concerned the beans will not be much if we do not get some rain! I think some in forecast for Thursday.

Well half inch Sat here a 3rd other farms kept crops alive but we sure need to get wet soon. this is supposed to be the wettest month of the year in Iowa? Not this year. Sunny days for weeks. No wet pattern as is usually seen. July usually more sun,less rain?

The drought map is expanding in Iowa, my concern in EHD...any thoughts from you locals on this?

The drought map is expanding in Iowa, my concern in EHD...any thoughts from you locals on this?

I had not been down to my farm in about a month, but I got here yesterday afternoon and let's just say that it is DRY...drier than a popcorn fart. My soybeans are a total failure and my corn is 50-50. The lawn(grass) is dormant and about a 8 out of 10 on the brown/dead scale. I went ahead and mowed the yard, but all I was doing was cutting the plantains that were everywhere, the grass didn't need it.

I can't tell if my buckwheat plots were complete failures OR if the deer/turkey had annihilated them once they did germinate. It's pretty grim here in terms of growing crops/food plots this summer. Corn that was planted "early" and germinated and started growing before the last 6+ week dry spell is still alive, but it needs rain soon. I hate to say it, but these are the ripe conditions for EHD, although I was around my 3 ponds some yesterday and didn't see/smell anything yet.

Come on rain!!! There is some in the forecast this week...if we miss this batch here, it is going to be a tough summer and I would not be surprised for EHD to start popping up. I am thinking about "throwing a bomb" and replanting soybeans today...in hopes that they catch a couple of rains this week. Hmmm....

Just got back from Canada. While we were up there we got over 4.5" of rain back home in about an hour and stuff flooded. A group from Nebraska up there said they had no rain for 50 days and crops were hurting something fierce

My thoughts on EHD have changed over to the last 2 years. I thinks it's a threat rain or shine. Do the percentages change.... Sure, but it's not as black and white as I once thought in terms of it's correlation to moisture.

It is very dry.

Well, I may have just wasted two bags of soybeans...but I put them out on the failed soybean plot and also in some of the bare areas in the corn plot. It has to rain now soon or they will be wasted. Oh well. On the fun side...I did see two male Bobwhite's chasing each other hard for about 5 minutes earlier today. It was a riot to watch, they were sprinting back and forth and dodging and weaving. I had never seen that with quail before.

The long term forecast is not very good for Des Moines and south

I was finishing up some field work last night and watching dark clouds roll in...in the false hope that it would actually rain on my fresh planted fields! :) I could see the rain just about 1 mile north of me, but all I got was some sprinkles. Harrumph!! From what I gathered talking to various people between the Ottumwa area on over to Keosauqua...it has been bone dry here for about 6 or more weeks and every now and then a pop up storm will bless a field or two, but less than a 1/2" in that area overall in most spots. South, on into Missouri, I hear that they have had plenty of rain, way too much at times, in fact.

Farmers are very concerned, there are MANY puny bean fields in this area that are near total losses. A lot of corn looks OK for now, but it has to have rain sometime soon or it won't make good ears. Alfalfa fields look pretty brown too. There was excess moisture 2 months ago...now there is none...go figure.

Guess I should feel blessed to be in pretty good shape here in the middle of the state. Could stand another 1/2" any day now but all in all we're in pretty good shape. Hoping for rain for all, especially those that need it bad. Happy Independance Day all!!!

FYI... Areas by Osceola got over an inch yesterday

Super spotty. Last night south of town got 7/10 and in town got nothing. Currently it's down pouring. Thank god, this area really needed it. Seemed storms would build and build and break up once they got into Clarke county. The million dollar rain has arrived.

Top Bottom