Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

any suggestions?

teeroy

Life Member
i'm thinking about putting in a food plot this spring. it won't be very big, probably less than an acre. river on one side, pasture on all other sides, crop field across the river.
looking to hold deer for bow hunting, and food to draw them back after shotgun season scatters them away. any thoughts? it will have a fair amount of shade

In my opinion, around here anyways, it kind of hard to attract deer during our bow season, unless your plot is the only available food source in your immediate area. Where I live I'm surrounded by beans, corn, and alfalfa, so my food plot doesn't get the attention that I originally had hoped for. If it was me, I'd try to give them something that's not availale to them in your area. As far as trying to get them to retreat to your area during gun season, I'd say corn would have to be on the top of my list. It's a great source for them when it's cold and it also provides them some cover, which they love to have after getting shot at a few times.
CRITR

Suggestions, do some fair amount of trimming and put in about 1-2 acres of food source. To hold deer besides residental ones you'll need more than a 1/2 acre. But anything is better than none at all. As of what kind of seed ? I don't know what the ph level is and if thiers a slope to it. Being a river next to it is there a slope or is it high level. This information is needed if your serious about it. But those are just suggestions.

I think you have an uphill battle if you have significant shade. Green stuff likes sun. What about girdling(sp) some trees? Hinge some so they stay alive for cover & browse, kill some outright, drop a few, let some stumps sprout back with browse. The native floor will spring back if you open enough up to let the sun shine down.

You say there is river on one side and pasture on the others, what is the cover in the area? It is about food, cover and security.

Top Bottom