Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anybody been to Lake Sugema in the last week?

iowabucks

Hey everyone, Just getting ready to leave monday for our annual, weeklong trip to Sugema, and was wondering if anyone has been there in the last week?

We shouls be doing pretty good as far as timing the crappie spawn goes, and the weather looks like it is going to be great. Should be a great time.

Anybody been there in the last week that can give some insight as to where the crappie spawn sits right now?

I haven't been there personally lately, but you can usually get a good lake report from Troublesome Creek Outfitters, the sporting goods store/bait shop in Keosauqua.

Thanks Daver, i'll have to give them a call. I'm sure i'll make it in there sometime this week anyway.

We're talking 4 lbs of minnows, so luckily we will be saving some cash there, instead of buying them by the dozen. So we wont need to make a daily trek to Troublesome Creek Outfitters.

Sounds like fun.. let us know how they're bitin... the monster farm pond gills hit good today.. loads of the males sitting on nests.. the 13ft bnb blackwidow did the trick!

You know they had a shad explosion and killed the lake last year? Not sure what the fishing will be like, but sounds like most of the walleyed died along with some panfish and the shad of course. The bass likely were not overly affected and the muskies should be good too.... what's left of them anyways.

Curious to know how it went!

You know they had a shad explosion and killed the lake last year?
Yes we do Thomas. We have been back to this cabin the last 5 years in a row and were a little unsure if the fish were safe to eat last year, but everyones opinion was that it would be safe.

Well it was a pretty slow week actually. We primarily fish the silt ponds. We've had good luck from them in the past and most times we fish the main lake all we get are 8 inch crappies. We did clean some fish but not as much as normal.

We were told the crappies had spawned out already. The bait shop in Keosaqua told us that too. But almost every one we cleaned had eggs in them. They were not fat and the eggsacks were not big, but more than we would have expected to see post spawn. I would assume there are a few eggs left over after the spawn but these definately were not empty eggsacks. This was with the silt pond crappies which i would have assumed had spawned before they main lake crappies due to depth and water temps.

All the crappies we caught were in deeper water, none by the shore. Wonder if the spawn might have got messed up somehow or if that amount of eggs in them is normal? Wish i would have thought to take a picture of a couple.

Has anybody ever heard of crappies not spawning during the spring in a lake due to outside influences?

Someone told me they heard the crappies in the silt pond at Sugema were not going to spawn this year. He said he heard it from a DNR officer but couldn't remember the reason. Could the water temps have got warm enough to spawn in march, got them ready, then the temps cooled off causing them to abort the spawn and absorb the eggs back into their bodies?

Never heard of such a thing. Just wondering if anyone else has. It seems really strange that we found an average amount of eggs in all the females but was told the spawn was over. Weird.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom