Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anybody here ever fish the Cedar Vally Quarries?

iowabucks

These would be the quarries just west of Tipton Iowa along the Cedar River in Cedar Valley Park. I just came across them while driving back roads doing some sightseeing today after taking a deer up to the Tipton Locker.

These look like interesting places to fish. It is legal to fish them acording to the signs.

Just wondering what kinds of fish and numbers there may be in here. Icefishing is just around the corner and i need to find a new honeyhole or two.

I know you can fish them. Not sure about ice fishing them. I don't know if they still do but they use to stock the back one with trout.

Sent using IW app

I've fished them before, but, that's probably been 10 years ago. We didn't have any luck, but, I remember the water being very clear and we could see some hefty LM Bass and a lot of big carp in there. They use to let people swim in there, but I remember my dad telling me that someone broke their neck diving into one because they hit a turtle with their head. All those old quarries around here produce big fish. There's another one that you can fish down by montpielier just off of HWY 22.. with the lack of cold we've been having though, those quarries may be pretty dangerous this year to ice fish because it seems like they take a long time to freeze around the edges by the rocks

These would be the quarries just west of Tipton Iowa along the Cedar River in Cedar Valley Park. I just came across them while driving back roads doing some sightseeing today after taking a deer up to the Tipton Locker.

These look like interesting places to fish. It is legal to fish them acording to the signs.

Just wondering what kinds of fish and numbers there may be in here. Icefishing is just around the corner and i need to find a new honeyhole or two.

What IOWA are you living in this year?...I doubt there will be much of anykind of an ICE-fishing season. Even if it does get cold and ice up, you wouldn't find me wasting time on the Cedar Valley Quarries...when Lake McBride is 20 miles away :way:

Wishfull thinking i guess. I know the pits around Muscatine have some iffy ice, even when everywhere else has 12" or more. These quarries have an inch or two of ice i couldn't break throwing a 10lb log out on today. But with the temps this afternoon it's probably thawed out again.

I got a new flasher this year i'm looing forward to using if we ever get any ice.

The one up before Buffalo is private. I'm thinking hes talking about a different one.

Is it on the river side of the road Bill?

By checking the Beacon website i see what look like a quarry right after the powerplant on hwy 22 (river side of the road) that has a house on the far side, but it has no info for who owns it. I think i have seen cars back there before. That it?

Last edited:
The one up before Buffalo is private. I'm thinking hes talking about a different one.

Is it on the river side of the road Bill?

By checking the Beacon website i see what look like a quarry right after the powerplant on hwy 22 (river side of the road) that has a house on the far side, but it has no info for who owns it. I think i have seen cars back there before. That it?

Yea, that would be it... it's sandwhiched right between the road and the river pretty much, with that house on the opposite side of the quarry from the road... the way I found out about it is my old Industrial Technologies teacher in highschool use to also be a summer park ranger for those camp grounds along the river and he showed it to me once and said it was good fishing. We caught a few real nice bluegills there and I remember seeing a big bass with my aqua-vu

I noticed there was a closed gate there the other day. Is that where people park, or is this gate usually open?

Maybe closed for the winter?

Idk..its been several yrs since I've been there but id imagine that's to keep people from driving back to that cabin/house

Top Bottom