Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anyone Hunt over Milo (Sorghum)?

corygnc

I hunt in KS and in Iowa. In KS I've had the farmer leave a couple acres of milo standing and the deer love it. It's easy to eat and they feel safe (cause it about as tall as them) feeding early.

Where I hunt in IA (Loess Hills-20 miles NE of Missouri Valley) all the farmers plant Corn/Soybeans and I've had them leave some standing but I don't get the penetration that I do in KS with the standing milo.

Thinking of planting some milo in IA. There is none around. Just corn and soybeans. I personally think it will be a magnet. What does everyone else think?

Thanks Very Much for Any Feedback

My neighbor has had about standing milo planted the last three years for his bird population.

This was the first year that I saw it really get hit hard by deer and that only happened when it was the only food left standing.

The year before when we had a much milder winter it didn't hardly get touched.

If you do it I would try a combo food plot of milo, peas, and sunflowers. Then you cover a little more of the season w/ that food plot.

I'm thinking of trying the same thing here real soon.

We had some pheasant mix that had some type of sorgum in it and I saw deer eating the seed heads.They also browsed on the new green shoots some.

Top Bottom