Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anyone live in a pole barn house ?

Arrowsmith1

We are thinking about building a pole barn house/shop on our land in Davis county. I was hoping to get some ideas on plans and cost per sq ft.

I use to. Loved it. My main suggestion..... In floor heat... highly recommended, floor will be very cold without.

I built a gambrel style barn. The upstairs was the "house".

Why waste time and money with a pole barn ? A pole barn you put in the poles and at the worst you put purlins around it and then frame in between all of the post and do a slab style concrete floor. Why not just do your concrete slab "floor" first and do regular stick framing on the concrete, much faster and cheaper. The savings between a pole barn and typical home is in the foundation, a pole barn has no basement and a typical house does have a basement. If living in a home with no basement is acceptable then build a house on a concrete slab, cheaper and faster plus you don't have to deal with treated lumber 6x6 post that twist and warp like the wet noodle they are.

we have a pole barn house as our hunting cabin.. faster and cheaper than stick framing.. I'd recommend getting it spray foamed for your insulation it'll keep rodents and insect out too

we have a pole barn house as our hunting cabin.. faster and cheaper than stick framing.. I'd recommend getting it spray foamed for your insulation it'll keep rodents and insect out too

That is what our research has shown. Definitely plan on spray foam. Thanks for you input !!!

Planning on something like this. Living space and shop combined. We will live in our RV inside the shop area while we finish the living space.
BakerStore_Building.jpg

Some of my buddies did the pole barn cabin. It's really nice but I would watch the construction process. From what I've heard building codes are not that strict in those areas. They had to move some fill into the building site and then the poles were just set on biscuits Some of the slap and poles are now sinking. The slab was mud jacked back but the poles wouldn't go. Windows and doors bowed and it's turned into a little bit of a PITA for them.

Some of my buddies did the pole barn cabin. It's really nice but I would watch the construction process. From what I've heard building codes are not that strict in those areas. They had to move some fill into the building site and then the poles were just set on biscuits Some of the slap and poles are now sinking. The slab was mud jacked back but the poles wouldn't go. Windows and doors bowed and it's turned into a little bit of a PITA for them.

That's very good advice. ^^

Mike, if you need some recommendations on contractors in that area, let me know. Good luck with your building.

I want to do the same thing in the future. There are a few neighbors around that have them. I want to build something like this and have them connecting

Attachments

• IMG_1537.JPG
    IMG_1537.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 59

Thanks for the info. That is a bad deal.

Our site is going to take a cut to get to finish floor grade so our poles should be set in undisturbed soil. I have also looked into wet setting pole brackets into the slab.

That's very good advice. ^^

Mike, if you need some recommendations on contractors in that area, let me know. Good luck with your building.

Thanks Dave !!

I will PM you about some contractors contacts. I have talked to Southern Iowa Electric about electric service and Rathbun Regional Water about a meter. Getting a water meter set is pricey !!

Getting a water meter set is pricey !!

U ainta kidding! Built my house in 2001 and ran electric 1200 ft from the road.... cost me nearly 7k. That wasn't in the original budget and the boss wasn't happy. Told her we'd just have to make it up by eating more deer meat....lead balloon.

Sounds like a lot of good recommendations, I was going to add the in floor heat but you all are way ahead of me.

Im a lineman at Southern Iowa REC, will most likely be building your service. You going overhead or underground?

I'd be happy to mention two strong referrals. Both do great work. I'd give Proline in New Sharon & Numark in Pella both a call. Referrals are great but you have to see their work in person. They would both be glad to drive you around to see multiple buildings. It makes me cringe thinking about someone just taking sombodies word on something as important as a shop, or in this case your house.

Sounds like a lot of good recommendations, I was going to add the in floor heat but you all are way ahead of me.

Im a lineman at Southern Iowa REC, will most likely be building your service. You going overhead or underground?

Yes sir !! I talked to Scott yesterday about the electric service. Planning to go overhead 250 ft in then underground to the building (about another 50 ft.).

I'd be happy to mention two strong referrals. Both do great work. I'd give Proline in New Sharon & Numark in Pella both a call. Referrals are great but you have to see their work in person. They would both be glad to drive you around to see multiple buildings. It makes me cringe thinking about someone just taking sombodies word on something as important as a shop, or in this case your house.

I have already been talking to Nuper at Numark. I am impressed with those guys. Thank You the info.

Yes sir !! I talked to Scott yesterday about the electric service. Planning to go overhead 250 ft in then underground to the building (about another 50 ft.).

Very cool, I talked to him today, sounds like we'll almost be neighbors. Im just west of you 5 miles or so

Top Bottom