Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anyone Tried This?

NWBuck

PMA Member
So, it's turnip planting time, and last week we were able to get areas disced up and ready for the traditional pack/seed/pack and wait for rain routine. Well we got the rain, and then some. But unfortunately, we didn't get the pack/seed/pack part done beforehand. So with more rain in the forecast for the next couple of days, I was considering walking through mud with the seeder tomorrow and letting the rain pack the seed in during the coming days. Thoughts??

NWBuck

So, it's turnip planting time, and last week we were able to get areas disced up and ready for the traditional pack/seed/pack and wait for rain routine. Well we got the rain, and then some. But unfortunately, we didn't get the pack/seed/pack part done beforehand. So with more rain in the forecast for the next couple of days, I was considering walking through mud with the seeder tomorrow and letting the rain pack the seed in during the coming days. Thoughts??

NWBuck

What is this "rain" that you speak of? Is that like when water falls from the sky and waters your fields? :) I remember that from years gone by...but my farm gets very little rain anymore. Oh well. :) But back when we used to get some of that magic water from the clouds...I seeded brassicas at least a couple of times with success doing just what you are proposing. If it isn't too muddy and you could scoot over the freshly spread seed with an atv and a cultipacker that would be ideal. But even without that, I think if you get some rain on it you will be fine.

Yeah Daver, after a crazy wet spring and early summer, we've been in a dry stretch as well. But a short period of downpours gave us around 2.5" since Friday. 10 day forecast looks dry again, so I may try it out and see what happens.

NWBuck

Top Bottom