Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anyone using extra full turkey chokes for 20 gauge?

Hawk32

PMA Member
I'm looking into getting an extra full turkey choke, such as SST, Hevi-Shoot, or Jellyhead. Does anyone have any experience with these or other chokes. I would be using it in my sons remington 20 gauge youth model. I just picked it up last wed and he shot his first bird sat morning using a regular full choke. Super close shot at 13 yards and the bird was dead before he hit the ground. I did patterned it at 20 prior too and really wasn't that impressed with the amounts of bb's in the kill but it obviously got the job done. I'm looking ahead to next year already and looking into these chokes and different ammo. I'm not really up on these things as far as what models and what shells work best with different chokes. I don't plan on letting him shoot past 25- 30 yards anyway so maybe these chokes are overkill. Thoughts?

I use a jelly head in my youth 870. Patterns very well out to 30 yards. That's the farthest I've put it on paper. Congrats!

I use a Carlsons .665 on my Benelli SBEII . I think its almost too tight at close range. Im using a single shot 16 gauge from the 40's this year I reblued and refinished for the hell of it.

My daughter has a Mossberg 500 20 gauge and I put an HS Strut Undertaker extra full choke in it. She shoots the Hevi-Shot Magnum Blend and at 20 yards, it patterns great. She's patterned it to 40 and I'd let her take that shot in a heartbeat with that choke shell combo. I'd consider letting her shoot 45-50 if the conditions were lined up right, I have that much confidence in that set up and her ability. I'm a firm believer in the xf chokes and a good turkey load!

At close range, she missed a bird at 5 yards because the pattern was so tight and she wasn't expecting that close of a shot!

Really good turkey patterns are a lot like finding the right load/bullet for any given rifle. Every gun will have a favorite choke/load combination. If you're using 20 gauge loads check out some of the info & ammo available from Nitro Ammunition <nitrocompany.com> They produce some awesome loads and have done a lot of patterning research for various gun/choke combos.

Thanks for all the info. Bowtech what ammo are you shooting through the jellyhead? I see they recommend using steel shot and not lead.

Really? Usually it's a big no - no shooting steel thru turkey chokes? Mine likes Winchester double x, 4 shot I believe but I will double check.

My daughter has a Mossberg 500 20 gauge and I put an HS Strut Undertaker extra full choke in it. She shoots the Hevi-Shot Magnum Blend and at 20 yards, it patterns great. She's patterned it to 40 and I'd let her take that shot in a heartbeat with that choke shell combo. I'd consider letting her shoot 45-50 if the conditions were lined up right, I have that much confidence in that set up and her ability. I'm a firm believer in the xf chokes and a good turkey load!

At close range, she missed a bird at 5 yards because the pattern was so tight and she wasn't expecting that close of a shot!

I had that happen the first year and then took the turkey choke out and we haven't had an issue yet. I set our decoys (2 hens and a jake) at about 12 yards so that's about the distant of shot we take so just a modified is working for my kids 20g Mossberg. Maybe next year we will go back to the turkey choke tube and go for a farther shot. I figured a 5 yard shot with a turkey choke probably only has a 3-4" pattern at that range, doesn't leave much room for error.

I had that happen the first year and then took the turkey choke out and we haven't had an issue yet. I set our decoys (2 hens and a jake) at about 12 yards so that's about the distant of shot we take so just a modified is working for my kids 20g Mossberg. Maybe next year we will go back to the turkey choke tube and go for a farther shot. I figured a 5 yard shot with a turkey choke probably only has a 3-4" pattern at that range, doesn't leave much room for error.

I agree wholeheartedly and, if that were our norm, I'd do the same thing. That 5-yard shot was an absolute anomaly in KS because the bird snuck up on us in the blind while we were concentrating on the 4 toms across the field. Out here, where we typically hunt, 25-30 yard shots are more of the norm. These AZ and NM Merriams are just more wary, blinds are much more difficult to use, and getting one to come in to 12 yards is not typical.

I have a friend who outfits for Goulds in Mexico and he's said to bring modified chokes if you bring your own shotgun because shots are typically that close. Those birds are extremely call friendly and will come running in on top of you. He had a client a few years back miss four times because he had an XF choke the birds were running in to 10 yards.

Thx for all the input. I also have been reading on oldgobbler.com. Man there are 100's of different chokes and load options. Way over my head thats for sure.

Thx for all the input. I also have been reading on oldgobbler.com. Man there are 100's of different chokes and load options. Way over my head thats for sure.
Where are you located? Welcome to try mine out if I can get it to ya.

For what it's worth patterned my 11-87 20 gauge with a factory full and Remington 3 inch 5 shot turkey load and it's about perfect for a youth hunter at 16-20 yards

Bowtech84 thx for the offer. Located near Pella.

Isu22. thats what I noticed too out of the factory full. thats what I used was Winchester 5's. within 20 was ok pattern that would do just fine but past that I don't know if I would risk it. Just looking for options to improve a little. Not looking for a super tight pattern out to 40 or anything. My fear is some of these chokes and loads at close range are getting baseball patterns. Looking for a happy medium. I've always used a bow.

Top Bottom