Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Apple/Pear Trees

Cummins Nursery or Century Farms are other great places to order from in case Adams County is sold out. I have ordered from all three and its 6 of this and half dozen of that with them all.

I ordered again through Century Farms since they have more of the varieties I was looking for. Ask all 3 what they recommend for your area and also include resistance to CAR and see what they have available and go from there.

I just talked to Adams county and they recommend I purchase several enterprise (very highly disease resistant) and possibly a crimsoncrisp for a pollinator. Has anyone used this combination?
Thanks Letemgrow, for the heads-up on the other nurseries...
As much time as I've spent watering apple trees this late summer, I can hardly believe I'm buying more...

enterprise

I believe mine are very resistant to cedar apple rust! :way:

Ditto on the Century Farms trees...we have had great luck with those trees and a little less expensive then ACN...;)

I took some pics earlier of trees that seem oblivious to the red cedars only yards away and other varieties that get hit hard each year.

Goldrush is a poor one to plant around cedars regardless of where they come from!

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

Enterprise is unphazed!

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

Yates is pretty resistant

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

Florina is fair

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

Liberty is of course very resistant as are others but some of the tags didn't get fastned securely and I can't be certain of the variety.

Check for disease resistant varieties before ordering your trees for best results! :way:

That is good info Paul!! I ordered some Yates, Arkansas Black, Goldrush, Florina, Pippin and Ashmeads Kernel this year.

I already have goldrush on my place, but have not seen any CAR on them, even though cedars are scattered through my property.

Here's a list of CAR disease resistant trees ...probably more but some good ones listed here...

Disease Reaction Varieties

[FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]Highly Resistant[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]Dayton [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]Delicious [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]Williams’ PrideRedfree[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]Liberty[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]William's Pride[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]Freedom[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]Keepsake[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]McIntosh[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]Red Delicious[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]NW Greening[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]Regent[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]Moderately Resistant [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]Golden Delicious [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]
[FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]Summer Champion [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]Turley[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]Moderately Susceptible [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]Jono [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]Lodi [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]McLemore[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]Highly Susceptible [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]Jonathon [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]Rome[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]Wealthy[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]York Imperial[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica]Goldrush[/FONT]

[/FONT]

Dbltree, one more question for now, and probably a dumb one at that. I planted a couple Keiffer pear trees two years ago that simply look amazing right now, they seem to be very hardy. They are standard trees though; have they engineered a semi-dwarf Keiffer pear?

Dbltree, of those you mentioned, which would be the best pollinator of enterprise? Are they all pretty late-blooming trees?

From this link: Valley Nursery and yes they are a later bloomig tree. :)

Pollinate with any other apple on this list EXCEPTGravenstein, King,
or Jonagold.<O:p</O:p

I planted a couple Keiffer pear trees two years ago that simply look amazing right now, they seem to be very hardy. They are standard trees though; have they engineered a semi-dwarf Keiffer pear?

Couple options but I suspect many nurseries carry semi-dwarf Keiffers...;)

Regular and dwarf Keiffer pear trees

Semi-Dwarf Keiffer Pear trees

I visited with David Vernon at Century Farms this morning; he was extremely helpful, not only with possible ordering advice, but also with the trees I've already planted. I told him of the bad Cedar Apple Rust problem I've been dealing with on our goldrush trees. His advice was to spray next year with "Rally 40". He said it would completely eliminate the rust problem for the year, he's a big fan of it. Do any of you use this? If so, would you be willing to sell me a small amount of the powder? He said it come in 1 pound quantities, and if I had an acre of trees it would last almost a decade -- I have exactly 2 goldrush trees... I don't think I need a pound. Especially since it's quite expensive, he said the pound would run about $80. If any of you would be interested in buying some I'd be happy to go in with a group.

On a side note, after taking you fella's advice and his, I'll be ordering 2 yates, 1 enterprise, 1 keener seedling, and 1 joseph's apple, for next spring.

spray next year with "Rally 40".

Dave is very helpful and I enjoyed doing business with him!

Where does one get Rally 40? I might be interested in splitting it with you...;)

Dbltree, I'm having a hard time tracking down a place to buy this product. After some research I've found "rally 40wsp" is the new name for "nova 40w", and it's a DOW product. I'm going to call the county extension office to see if they can help. I guess I could just give David, at Century Farms, a call, if I can't track anything down.

I somewhat recently purchased 10 apple trees from green thumbers and planted them last Sunday.. I watered them really well when planting and also used some root starter stuff in the water, I also watered them on Wednesday and then again Friday.. my question is how much longer should I water them before they'll go dormant?

I somewhat recently purchased 10 apple trees from green thumbers and planted them last Sunday.. I watered them really well when planting and also used some root starter stuff in the water, I also watered them on Wednesday and then again Friday.. my question is how much longer should I water them before they'll go dormant?

Since we seem to be having a dry spell right now i would water them every 3-4 days until leaf drop perhaps....;)

Planted and caged 53 apple trees 4 years ago. Lost half to fire blight.....Make sure you pick varieties with some fire blight resistance....man did I ever screw up. I was more concerned with rust and supplier never mentioned that varieties he sold me had little to no fire blight resistance.....also, in addition to caging it is a good idea to wrap bottom 12" with light screen to prevent girdling from mice, rabbits if they can get through cage.......good luck

I have some gold rush out on the farm and for some reason none of them have the CAR problem...yet?? There are scattered cedars all over the property so I am not sure how they are so susceptible, yet none of my apples have required spraying???

I planted some goldrush this past spring and had very little CAR on them. Only 2 or 3 leaves were affected on each tree. I did spray for it in early spring however.

I was able to get some Eagle 20EW through work and applied it shortly after planting in april and once again 2 or 3 weeks later. The active ingredient is myclobutanil. Spectracide Immunox also contains myclobutanil and is available without a pesticide applicators liscense and much cheaper though at a lower % a.i.

Immunox is typically what I recommend to homeowners that stop in at the greenhouse with rust problems.

Top Bottom