Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Army Worms.... beware

Had a buddy send me these pics today or a plot he did for some folks. Army worms wiped this plot out in 5 days. It was completely green a week ago.
`
army worms 2.jpg
army worms 1.jpg
army worms 3.jpg

I'm gonna blame all my bad plots of that ;)
I've not heard of that before...not good

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

First 3 or 4 years after I bought my farm I never had a issue, then the next year lost the almost 5 acres in a week, and I have pretty much dealt with then since. They usually come out of the timbered or grassy areas, so food plots are usually high impact areas, after I plant I go ahead and spray a 15 foot border around fields, then I just keep an eye and re apply the band every 14 days depending on rain until frost. The first sign of a problem is called window pane feeding, the worms are tiny and cannot bite through the leaf, so they just scrape off the plant tissue and it leaves little white dots on the plant. If I see this then I jump in and hit the whole plot with a strong dose of bifenthrin or leverage 360, there is a whole slew of insecticides that control army worms.

If you see this do not wait, the worms are little, easy to kill, and haven't set the plot back much, one year I thought I was beneath the "threshold" of worms per square foot, checked it 4 days later and the field was pretty much done by that point and worms were everywhere. Spray the day you see damage, if you put it off until the weekend you have already lost the battle! Once the worms have some size to them and eat an incredible amount of foliage, and on newly germinated rye it doesn't take much to kill it, there will be a few bites and from the bite up the plant will turn white, even after you spray it, if there is much damage it really seems to set the plant vigor back and I found out it is better to re-drill. I know just try to stay ahead of the little devils.

full

Top Bottom