Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Arrow weight

meyeri

PMA Member
How heavy are the arrows you guys shoot?
I shoot a Z7 magnum at 70lbs, so I have always gone with a heavier arrow, (300 spine, 10.9 gpi with a 100 grain broad head).
Anyway, I was down to 4 arrows, so I was checking out some options and I was really surprised at how few options there are at that weight. There was a ton of options at the 8-9 gpi range, which I assume would be fine if you shoot a 60lb bow, but as fast as today's bows are I figured guys would shoot a heavier arrow.

It'd be worth keeping an eye on camofire.com. Lately they've been having carbon express arrows on there for a great price on a dozen arrows. Matter of fact they have the mayhem's in a 350 grain right now for $68.99 a dozen.

Everybody is all about speed speed speed. Don't get me wrong, fast, flat arrows are awesome, especially if you have a real chance of needing to shoot far. I used light arrows for years and had success with them but was never completely happy with the penetration I was getting. Last year I switched over to a Easton 5mm fmj (300 spine, 12 gpi). With a 100 gr head and 50 grain insert I am pushing 600 grains total weight and the penetration of those things is unreal. While velocity boosts your initial Kinetic Energy, Momentum is the real killer and in an archery scenario, mass will add more to that formula than the loss of velocity will decrease it (to an extent). Momentum is what is going to keep that arrow moving after impact. Would you rather get hit with a ping pong ball going 100 mph or a golf ball going 50 mph? That might not be the best example, but you get the point. The slow golf ball will cause more damage than the faster, lighter ping pong ball.

For instance, if I take a 350 Grain arrow going 300 fps I'll get a KE of 94.82 Joules and a Momentum of 2.07.
Now let's take a 600 Grain arrow going 200 fps. That will give a KE of 72.24 Joules and a Momentum of 2.37.

The 350 Gr. arrow has a 31% greater KE which looks awesome. But it also has 12.6% LESS momentum which is a big deal.

Best arrows I "tested" were 11gpi deep six full metal jackets. Destroyed others for penetration. Down side: limits u on broadheads (I found plenty I was happy with though)& vs some others- it was about 10fps slower. Neither of which I cared about.
I got a 125 grain head & 80 lbs bow that puts em out something like 285-290fps. Hands down my favorite arrow & results.
I did my own tests with stuff like regular full metal jacket, carbon express' heavy arrow, etc, etc. no contest. I used to shoot the carbon express gold tip - whatever their lighter arrow was. Man that was stupid. This is so much better. I can't explain the physics of it but my heavier arrow actually flies as flat as the light arrow in the range I shoot.

Victory Elite 350 with SS top hat,Front loaded with a 125g broadhead. Hits like a sledgehammer. Not the fastest but an awesome arrow. 0-30 on one pin.

Top Bottom