Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

atv seed drill

dangibbs1

I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with an atv no till seed drill. I am looking to put in about 5 acres of food plots and add a few acres of NWSG every year. I don't have a tractor and would love a small seed drill. There is one made in Iowa called the Dew Drop Drill. Any thoughts, or experiences?

I have only seen the pictures that are on the website, but it looks pretty sweet. I doubt the price is......A quick search on google, and I found a figure. $5495. Thats just slightly outta my price range, like about 10x. I dont think I can talk myself into that for just foodplots. It would be sweet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowhuntr311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have only seen the pictures that are on the website, but it looks pretty sweet. I doubt the price is......A quick search on google, and I found a figure. $5495. Thats just slightly outta my price range, like about 10x. I dont think I can talk myself into that for just foodplots. It would be sweet. </div></div>

I could talk myself into it if I could get a few planting jobs to take care of it, but that would be about it. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is one made in Iowa called the Dew Drop Drill. Any thoughts, or experiences? </div></div>

Looks like it ought to work fine but I don't use an ATV so really don't have any advice on it?

Hopefully someone else will have some comments about it /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I looked at it a few years ago- it is sweet if you need to get into tight places or don't own a tractor. Everyone I contacted that had one thought they were great but in the end, I figured I could rent a drill for the tractor and be money ahead. The Dew Drop doesn't function quite the same as a drill with openers and packing wheels.

I spoke with a knowledeable friend about these the other day. He has never used one but he was skeptacle that they would offer enough down pressure for some types of ground. I have ground that is in CRP and has not been farmed for some time. It's too expensive to buy it without knowing if it would work.

I was also curious as to how that thing would have enough weight to have the down pressure necessary for it to be a no-till drill and still be light enough for an atv to pull.

I've been wanting more info on this unit as well. Hopefully you can video it in action to see how it performs in the field, especially on fairly heavy thatch. I'm 5 hours from my farm and need to find a more efficient way to plant plots.

Drill

Old thread....does anyone have one? Price? Please give me your review or positives/negatives?

Dew Drop Drill made in Iowa

Thanks

Info about the drill

This drill is not actually a drill. It opens the soil, drops seed and and knocks the soil onto the seed, where a drill opens the soil and drops the seed through a tube and directly into the rut before covering. That said, it is still a decent machine for food plots and smaller acreages. If you get enough idividuals together that want to use one, you might try contacting your local agricultural extension office and ask if they will by one and rent it out; or find an Iowa hunting organization the will do it - they can pay for it in one or two seasons.

Top Bottom